slimming world

Options
Does anyone use the app and do slimming world? Recipes saved on here?

Replies

• babybirdandmouse
    babybirdandmouse Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use MFP and do Slimming World but am finding it a pain to be honest. To be able to grab foods on Slimming World is very convenient so measuring it to add it correctly onto MFP is a waste of time.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Some people do and some people do weight watchers and MFP as this app is easier to use. Personally, I prefer to just use MFP as its free.

One of my friends who did slimming world (she's yo-yod with weight watchers many times too) just made me think it seemed crazy and depressing. And way too complicated. I don't want to have to call any food a sin. And if I can't have butter on my potatoes or oil on my salad then I'm out!

It works for some people. I just think it over complicates things. Doing both sounds like it'd be pretty time consuming.

MFP works for me as I log all good and exercise. The barcode scanning makes it easier, I can add my own recipes, my regular foods come up first.

Up to you. Free wins for me every time though!

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I did Slimming World way back .. lost weight but learned nothing about portion control so when I stopped, as inevitably happens.. whoomph .. back it all came

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    im at slimming world now - however i found my weight loss halted - so i came to here only to find my portions were massive needless to say the last 2 weeks ive lost 5lbs counting calories but also being mindful of the plan. sw has taught me so much about cooking from scratch so i still use all the recipes but their in my own recipe database on here and i do try to eat my fruit and veg as speed. its been working so far! but i think its down to me measuring evrything particulary carbs now lol
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't get how people lose weight eating as much pasta as they like? I'd balloon if I did that.
  • MattBoySlim
    MattBoySlim Posts: 62 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I use slimming world recipes, though I wouldnt use the ones saved in myfitnesspal, as you can't be sure your using the same measurements as someone else.

You can import the recipes using its URL in food>recipes and then edit the weights of the food to match the weights you use. Takes a few minutes but over time is worth while as most I'm sure you'll use again and again, and there then quite quick to update if you make a change.

Once I've made the meal I also weigh the whole thing so I can divide it into equal portions :blush: maybe over kill.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    SW doesn't work for anyone, however, it does work best for men. SW sell you the idea you can eat as much as you want - it's ridiculous, you still need to use portion control, which the consultants don't want to discuss, you're advised to eat at least 5 portions of fruit a day, which contains tons of natural sugar, and other foods which contain artificial sweeteners. I would advise people to use it, if for nothing else than to learn to cook from scratch, in a healthy way, but anyone I know that lost weight (and I'm talking 5-6 stone EACH) have put the weight on since leaving. I lost 7 lb in my first 2 weeks then, 6 lbs in the next 3 months and that was it - I ended up leaving after a year of no weight loss, despite recording all my food and eating within plan.
  • MattBoySlim
    MattBoySlim Posts: 62 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't get how people lose weight eating as much pasta as they like? I'd balloon if I did that.

Agree with what your saying, but I think the idea is you wouldn't just eat say 100g of pasta, you'd have to also eat 100g of veg which is low calorie. So if you eat a whole plate of pasta it would need to be eaten with a whole plate of veg, and most people I assume would get too full.

I never really lost any weight on the green day version, though.

Most of their recipes however are very low calorie so when you combine it with calorie counting/portion control it works really well.

• leahcollett1
    Options

Agree with what your saying, but I think the idea is you wouldn't just eat say 100g of pasta, you'd have to also eat 100g of veg which is low calorie. So if you eat a whole plate of pasta it would need to be eaten with a whole plate of veg, and most people I assume would get too full.

I never really lost any weight on the green day version, though.

Most of their recipes however are very low calorie so when you combine it with calorie counting/portion control it works really well.

there not that low calorie hun the new nacho feast worked out at 600 calories before wedges!
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Speaking only for myself, I find when I'm on any sort of 'plan' which limits/restricts certain types of food I fall into a weird trap of searching for ways around it or ways to follow the letter of the law but not the spirit of it. Hence I find myself trying to approximate a cheesecake using quark, muller light and cocoa powder. Less satisfying than the real thing , so I still feel deprived, expensive, often still a chunk of calories, but *technically* syn free. From some other sites I've read, it seems I'm far from the only one who falls into this loophole-seeking pattern.

Overall I'm not learning healthier habits and I'm not getting the enjoyment I'd get from the real thing. Plus sooner or later I'd be back on normal food and gain.

As far as diet plans go, slimming world allows a lot of flexibility and good nutrition and a lot of people benefit from the group support. But for me, personally, I need to learn about moderation, and stopping when I'm full, and working my favourites into a healthy diet, and I wasn't learning that through slimming world.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Speaking only for myself, I find when I'm on any sort of 'plan' which limits/restricts certain types of food I fall into a weird trap of searching for ways around it or ways to follow the letter of the law but not the spirit of it. Hence I find myself trying to approximate a cheesecake using quark, muller light and cocoa powder. Less satisfying than the real thing , so I still feel deprived, expensive, often still a chunk of calories, but *technically* syn free. From some other sites I've read, it seems I'm far from the only one who falls into this loophole-seeking pattern.

Overall I'm not learning healthier habits and I'm not getting the enjoyment I'd get from the real thing. Plus sooner or later I'd be back on normal food and gain.

As far as diet plans go, slimming world allows a lot of flexibility and good nutrition and a lot of people benefit from the group support. But for me, personally, I need to learn about moderation, and stopping when I'm full, and working my favourites into a healthy diet, and I wasn't learning that through slimming world.

this could have been written by me! i did exactly that wanted a lovely dessert that was preferably syn free, so concocted quark/alpen light bar/toffee yogurt made a cheesecake of sorts, entered the cals into here, it turned out over 200 calories, could of had a slice of real cheesecake for that. im so glad i found this site it really has opened my eyes to the loop holes i had been doing and then maintaining that week for it
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Ha! Alpen lights! I was trying to remember what you're supposed to use instead of digestive biscuits. Bloomin' alpen lights.

• sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I did slimming world for a little while. I didn't really lose and weight but it was valuable about learning to cook fro scratch etc. I still use some of their recipes as they're pretty good and once put into my recipes are still low calorie. I always input mine and don't rely on what's already on MFP
  • laurac48
    laurac48 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Tried sw and couldn't for the life of me grasp it ! A very hard work diet in my opinion , so much "free" food etc , now that I'm counting calories I hate sw even more lol nothing is free with calories , kills me every time I have to add in my calories for a simple plain salad or bit of chicken , but it's working for me , sw did not
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    laurac48 wrote: »
    Tried sw and couldn't for the life of me grasp it ! A very hard work diet in my opinion , so much "free" food etc , now that I'm counting calories I hate sw even more lol nothing is free with calories , kills me every time I have to add in my calories for a simple plain salad or bit of chicken , but it's working for me , sw did not

it is a bit crazy how muller lights can be a free food, however they are nearly 100 calories - so 10 of them would be 1000 cals give or take , mind boggling
  • genericjanedoe
    genericjanedoe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've just recently joined SW and I have to admit I find the whole free food, healthy extras, "syns" groupings really confusing, and more so when they start talking about different food plans. I even tried to use SW's own weight loss planner online, but it was so time-consuming and frustrating to complete - I had to search through the three different food types to find the type of food I'd eaten and the database isn't nearly as comprehensive as MFP.

I still can't get my head around the fact that I can continue eating potato, rice and pasta with SW when its a big no-no on any other diet plan I've been on. I guess it's just a case of everything in moderation - some much more moderate than others (refined sugars and fats).

But I think the strength of SW is the group support and recipe sharing. Whilst I prefer MFP for keeping a track of what I eat, I find I do need face-to-face support to keep me motivated. The only thing that counts at the end of the day is that you reap the strengths (and benefits) from both regimes.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    I'm with you on this one I count calories on here and haven't left the weekly weigh in or group support yet