Why are those last 5-10 lbs so hard to lose?

Hi, I'm Alison. I was very successful using this app about 2 years ago. But, like many I went right back up those few pesky pounds. I've never been too heavy or out of shape, but I'm short and the smallest amount of excess weight shows right away. I just returned from vacation and need a kick start for the summer. Can you relate? I'm a member of the YMCA and enjoy exercise, it's just keeping up a good pattern that's challenging.

Replies

• Melsfitbit
    Melsfitbit Posts: 5 Member
    I can relate, Alison. I have about 10lb to shift, I exercise a few times a week with a personal trainer but I can't get to my goal weight! I'm only 162cm tall so 10lbs makes a difference. I'm now trying the 5:2 diet to see if that helps me shed the lbs.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    The less you weigh, the harder it is to create a deficit. That's all.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    I can relate too! I am working on the last 5 pounds of post-baby weight and addition 5 pounds of vanity.. I have been working on it for a year now and every time I manage to get down, it comes back up in a heart beat and my body just wants to stay where it's at. I am active, athletic and eat right, but I eat too much and logging my food is the only way I manage to lose those pounds and hopefully keep them off this time.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Remember how fast the first 5 lbs came off? Water. Guess what is holding up those last 5 lbs? Water. Unfortunately, the body want to maintain equilibrium. The way to get around this is to set your goal 5 to 10 lbs lower. This will compensate for the water your body is trying to restore.
  • AnthonyThrashD_
    AnthonyThrashD_ Posts: 85 Member
    Every day seems like the first to me, I can't tell a difference. Oh wait, I've only been on here 4 days :P
  • StellaMA20
    StellaMA20 Posts: 31 Member
    I can really relate - I'm not as active as I would wish, but struggling with 7-8 lbs....but trying to really be good on nutrition
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    I am forever in the same boat. I thought this was helpful when I read it:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/737101/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1