Eating 4/5 small meals or a few larger ones daily???

Options
Still_Sossy
Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
I am confused, plain and simple. Some "experts" say you need to eat every 3 to 4 hours in small amounts to keep your metabolism going strong and then you have groups like WW who say you can save up your calories for a larger meal in the day. This is so conflicting what do you all do? Cause it seems to me, if I eat 3 to 4 times a day not only do I go over calories, I seem more hungry and am anticipating the next time I get to eat, if I think only of breakfast, lunch, and dinner then I do not think about it when they come I eat. I do not know if there is any real evidence to validate either side, it seems if you look hard enough you can find some point of view that agrees with what ever model you are trying to make fit. Opinions please........

Replies

• ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 meal encounters and 3 snack encounters each day.
  • mxtinaj
    mxtinaj Posts: 36
    Options
    I think it's just based on what feels right and works for you. I use to follow the 5-6 small meals a day for years but I always had digestive problems and simply stayed neutral weight wise. Now I started to eat 3 full meals a day and it works for me because it gives my digestive system to breakdown the nutrients and release toxins and waste. I say do what is best for you. And what you're doing now seems to be working because you look amazing anyway :)
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I do 5 - 6 meals a day. It helps me because I know I'm always eating soon after.

I was depriving my body too much of what it was telling me it wanted. So I have decided to listen to it more and even though I just started..I feel a lot better. If you feel better eating 3 meals a day then try it out and see how it works for you. We learn from trial and error. Every body is different.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think the small meals is probably best, but only if it works for you. If it doesn't work for you, then do the 3 large meals. Or try 3 meals, plus a snack. Have a good breakfast, and make either lunch or dinner a little smaller.

Really the most important thing is sticking to a healthy amount of calories, and not starving or stuffing yourself.
  • nhhartmann
    nhhartmann Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My motto is to do what I can with what makes me happy, as long as it is still working.

I prefer 3 meals and 3 snacks. I do usually eat more calories at dinner than any of the other. I've been consistently losing each week so I believe this is working for me now. If it ever stops working (ie - I don't lose weight), then I'll change my approach. If you prefer three meals and saving calories for later and it works for you, I say go for it because you are right - you can find a study to back up anyone's cause.
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    I just read an article about this on the "nutrition diva's" FB page. She says that over all people who eat 5 smaller meals all day end up eating more total calories. 3 squares and a snack or two is the new thing they seem to be recommending. I agree though it's confusing and annoying to think you've been given the right info then they change it. She had science to back it up but I guess it's best to see what works for you. Good luck Sos :)
  • wizpiz
    wizpiz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should eat smaller "meals" more frequently throughout the day. This should help you keep that full feeling, which should inherently prevent you from overeating during any one meal. Additionally, drink 8+ cups of water per day as this will help with keeping you feeling full longer/more consistently. Additionally, try to make breakfast your highest caloric meal of the day, with your last meal being least in calories.

Here's an example of what my food intake might look like (~2k calories):
    1) Breakfast (within 30 minutes of waking) - 4 egg white omelette with low fat chesse and some sort of vegetable, 3 - 5 slices of turkey bacon, piece of fruit and/or low fat greek yogurt
    2) Snack approx 2 hours later - south beach mix nuts or turkey jerky
    3) Lunch (approx 2 - 3 hours later) - salad with grilled chicken or fish, vegetable, fruit
    4) Snack (approx 2 hours later) - celery w/ low fat peanut butter or low fat string cheese)
    5) Dinner (approx 2 hours later) - grilled chicken or tuna, or fish. veggies, maybe a serving of whole wheat pasta.
    6) Snack (before bed) - protein shake (~115 calories of protein mixed water)
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I do 3 meals and sometimes an afternoon snack if I'm starving. For me the 5 small meals thing just felt like I was eating all darn day... and I really didn't have the time to keep up with the schedule (if you have a meeting, what then? if you are out of the office for the afternoon do you just skip that meal? - and then I was STARVING if that happened).
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options
    I have read and follow, eat when you are hungry.....and only eat till you are full....chew every bite fully and enjoy every bite. When you are full push the plate away....

for me small meals often is like grazing then I am constantly thinking of food and that drives me crazy....
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals & 3 snacks - eating something every 2-3 hours. I try to refrain from large meals at one seating because afterwards, I feel sluggish and/or stuffed. Sometimes I may split my breakfast &/or lunch in half.

Chick Fil A Breakfast: Have main course for breakfast; then 2-3 hours later have the Granola Yogort for a snack
    Panera Bread Pick 2: Have soup for lunch; then 2-3 hours later snack on the salad

Good Luck!

Maybe you should try it one way for 2 weeks; then the other way for 2 weeks. Just enter notes, and monitor your progress. Then make your decision.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I saw a video recently on youtube about how the body uses food. It stated that if you eat a 1000 calorie meal at one time, your body will only use what it needs at that time, say 400 calories, and store the other 600. I really feel that this is true because sometimes I'll have lots of calories to spare during a day and eat a huge meal and gain weight. So know I'll still have that same meal, but I'll split it up into smaller portions.
  • msmonique0919
    msmonique0919 Posts: 183
    Options
    The doctor said that 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day was one that would support keeping your metabolism going and preventing hunger. In WW, they do say that you should save your points for a large meal and that would be equivalent to us using 600 or 700 calories for one meal and then dividing the remainder among the other meals. I personally do the meals and snacks because they help me to stay ahead of hunger.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 meals per day inverted per calories... Which means that I eat my biggest meal at breakfast and then eat less and less per meal to the end of the day. This will fill you up in the morning and you won''t be hungry all day... Your metabolism will stay high as well.

<<<<<<<<<<<< Proof is in the pudding :)
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    The body burns more fat and the metabolism is regulated better with small frequent feedings (I do 5-6 meals daily). However if you're not the type to be satisfied with smaller meals just eat 3 larger ones. I also heard not to exceed 700 cals a meal because the body can not utilize more than that and the rest converts to FAT! Check out bodybuilding.com.. they have amazing nutritional articles. :heart:
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    I eat all day...LOL! I just don't go over my calorie intake~ Then most of the time by the end of the day I worked off 1/4 to half of what I've eaten! It really does depend on you and your activity level.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I do the 6 meals thing and I like it; but more and more I'm reading that the number of meals and timing doesn't matter so much. So as long as you're hitting your numbers, do what feels right and don't worry too much about it.

(edit: grammar)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I do 3 meals and a protein shake or high protein snack after my workout. I tried the 5/6 meals a day, I felt like I was eating all the time, my day felt consumed with food and I didn't like it at all so I went back to what I know works for me.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 meals and 3-4k calories per day. I need to eat that much just to maintain my weight while trying to make modest lean gains. I have dropped about 50 lbs of fat and only about 2-3 lbs of muscle that way.

There are many advocates for Intermittent Fastng. You will find all the information you need to research it at leangains.com. He makes some interesting points about gut health and things and not obsessing about your next meal. Men that do it can stay at 7% body fat comfortably for years. Basically, you fast every day from 8pm until about noon. Then you eat a gargantuan meal and taper down. There are numerous other plans but you can link to them from leangains.com

Please let me know if you find anything interesting.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 small main meals aprox 300-400 calories each and 3 snacks aprox 100-150 calories each, spread out every 3 hours at least minimum totaling 1200 calories, then take into account whatever my exercise calories are and eat some more of those back but only if I feel hungry or did alot , usually not all of it. I try not to go over 1600 max.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 times a day, sorta works out to three meals and three snacks (all planned out with the help of MFP). I have been doing this for a few months and it is actually easy now. I think it is all about portion control, and I feel my path to success is breaking down and tracking everything I eat until it becomes a habit, .... and then keep myself in check. I have been losing pretty well so until things slow or stop I'm gonna stick to this path.