Timing of drinking recovery shakes

Options
ashoona
ashoona Posts: 42 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everyone

I'm a week into insanity and I have never done anything like it so I've spent the past few days feeling totally exhausted. I have seen that it is recommended to drink recovery/protein shakes to help recover quicker, but the problem is that I usually do my workout in the evening at around 9/10pm and I would find it a bit sickening to drink shakes that late at night.

My question is does it matter when I drink the shake? Can I have one for breakfast or lunch the next day instead or on the day that I workout? Sorry if these questions sound silly, I'm a total newbie when it comes to this sort of thing. Would appreciate any advice you could give - thanks!

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ashoona wrote: »
    Can I have one for breakfast or lunch the next day instead or on the day that I workout?

Yes, that would be fine re: having it the next day.

Unless you have particularly high end athletic goals worrying about nutrient timing is a waste of time. Make sure you eat a healthy, balanced diet with sufficient calories and you will be golden.

• ashoona
    ashoona Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for such quick responses! I think I'll try to eat as healthy as possible and stick to drinking shakes when I haven't had enough protein but I won't be so hung up on timing. Thanks again :)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Just up your carb percent. No need to eat a special shake. It's not magic. That'll restore your glycogen stores and give you some more energy!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Eat a banana after your workout.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    ashoona wrote: »
    Can I have one for breakfast or lunch the next day instead or on the day that I workout?

Yes, that would be fine re: having it the next day.

Unless you have particularly high end athletic goals worrying about nutrient timing is a waste of time. Make sure you eat a healthy, balanced diet with sufficient calories and you will be golden.

This. Their have been studies about protein and carb intake after exercise-but those apply to athletes under very specific circumstances. For doing an hour of insanity? You don't need to do anything special. Drink plenty of water and take rest days as needed. You'll adjust to the new exercise.

From my perspective, if you're talking about the shakes supplied by Beachbody just skip them all together. Waste of money and completely unnecessary.
  • governatorkp
    governatorkp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've finished Insanity recently.

I assume you haven't read the nutrition guide provided, as it is explained in there what the recovery shake is good for and when to take it.

As stated there, you burn through your glycogen stores when doing Insanity. The point of the shake is to recover your glycogen as soon as possible, as when you're out of glycogen, your muscle tissue is being damaged.
    Since traditional food would take too long to be absorbed and replenish your storage, that's where the recovery shake comes in.

During month 1 I took a self-mixed "recovery" shake after the workout. During month two I drank it during the second half of the workout.
    I feel it helps me dig deeper and go hard for longer.
  • governatorkp
    governatorkp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For some reason, people's comments make it aound as if recovery shakes have anything to do with protein intake or are the same as protein shakes..

They're not the same, don't serve the same purpose and can't be compared.

• Jonas1058
    Jonas1058 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree recovery shakes are different, you're recovering sodium as well so you can make your own out of say banana with baking soda and some lemon and lime. As for protein shakes there are two main types that I use for those interested in building a little more muscle with their workouts. The two types are 'whey' protein and 'casein' protein. They differ only in their absorbtion rates. Casein you take at night and whey straight after a workout. If however you are going for the Tony Horton crazy eddie look stick with the recovery shakes you're going to need them like a hooker needs crack. If you want weight loss then trim down how much protein you take in the shakes - like waaay down or don't use them at all.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Timing anything is Hogwash.

More often than not, any information to the contrary is based on effective marketing and not supported by science.

If a company offers a preworkout, an intra workout, a post workout recovery drink, a post workout shake, casein before bedtime, and several other products.... and you buy all of them because you bought into "timing".... then you are the sucker.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Timing anything is Hogwash.

More often than not, any information to the contrary is based on effective marketing and not supported by science.

If a company offers a preworkout, an intra workout, a post workout recovery drink, a post workout shake, casein before bedtime, and several other products.... and you buy all of them because you bought into "timing".... then you are the sucker.

Well put.