A Young Englishman Going Into Battle...

Options
TomBristow
TomBristow Posts: 22 Member
edited June 2015 in Getting Started
...Or at least that is how I'm approaching it!

I've signed up to the forum to get to know people who are facing a similar battle, and to share ideas on how we can all help each other. I've been trying to battle my weight on my own for my entire life it seems - now is the time for change, and you good people are my inspiration. Some of the things I've seen on here are incredible, and I just hope I can be among those success stories myself one day.

A bit about me - I'm 27 years old, and I'm from London, England. I work in software sales for a US organization, which I love as it has allowed me to see the world but it isn't the most 'active' job as far as exercise goes.

I've always been a big person, but it has really spiraled in the last few years. It still pains me to hear old friends see me and say "what happened?" or "you never used to be this big did you?"

I'm 339 pounds and I want to lose 100+. We do things by 'stones' here in the UK, and I'm aiming for 17 stone, which is 238 lbs and a 101 lbs loss in total.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the challenge and starting a new, healthier chapter in life.

Thank you
Tom

91989954.png

Replies

• cazbit
    cazbit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hello from a fellow newbie - two months and 16lbs down.

Welcome to our ever shrinking (in weight not population) family. The people on here are fantastically supportive and knowledgable.
  • kaylajay2468
    kaylajay2468 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm a 26 year old woman, setting out on a journey to loose weight as well. I wish you the best of luck darlin and if you would like a friend to help you through this, who is going through the same thing, feel free to add me!
  • smadaris91
    smadaris91 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi im 24 i also have a long weight loss journey. I live in the US. I have lost 8lbs in 10days :) add me if u would like
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Are you very tall ? 17 stone sounds heavy to me (5'-10", peaked at 16st4)
  • LAgaby93
    LAgaby93 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I too am on my journey too losing weight add me if you want.
  • TomBristow
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Are you very tall ? 17 stone sounds heavy to me (5'-10", peaked at 16st4)

I'm 6 feet 3.

Getting to 17 stone is my first target, as it is what I used to be when I was in my late teens and when I was last relatively happy with how I looked.

Once I come to that bridge I'll look at setting another goal. One step at a time though.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hi Tom, i'm just north of you in Hertfordshire, feel free to add me for support. I've also got a desk job and know how hard it can be to get any exercise in during the day when you're confined to a computer for 8 hours. You can do this though. :)
  • glortard
    glortard Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Good luck
    Used to work in an office and will agree that it is not an active role but you can do small things like use the stairs or go for a walk at lunchtime which is great for clearing your head.
  • TomBristow
    Options
    My office is based in Central London so there are always things to look around and see - its just that there are always places to eat which aren't always healthy either!
  • glortard
    glortard Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Ideal scenario is to bring your lunch in or failing that sussing out healthy options. I visit a local sandwich shop often and stopped taking margarine/butter on rolls as they would have been better using a shovel to spread it on rather than a knife!
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm a short, sedentary female office worker in the U.S., but I do have this one tip for you: small measures make a huge difference. Anything you can do to build in even a few steps at a time several times a day will likely pay off.

My strategies: take the farther transit stop. In the morning, I take transit an extra two stops so I walk a mile (plus) to my office.

I eat at my desk during the work day, so when I clock out for lunch, I take a 3/4 mile walk.

Finally, the way the building I work in is designed, most floors have the offices in a ring around the outer edge, with a "pod" in the center for the elevators, emergency stairwell, and other infrastructure. Two or three times a day, I will make an opportunity to walk around the "pod" two or three times. If your building doesn't have a "pod", maybe you can lengthen your route to the loo, or go talk to a co-worker face-to-face, or walk to a more distant break room; what have you.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you - MFP is a great first step!
  • andrewgilfrin
    andrewgilfrin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Tom

Welcome to MyFitness Pal.

I'm a little bit older that you, well a good few in fact, but our stats are very similar (at least when I started). I'm 6' 3" and at one time was over 350lbs. I have been where you are, I know what it's like.

My personal advice is that everybody is different, the issue with this forum IMO is that a vast majority of people have an attitude that their way is the best way and anything else should be shot down in flames. What you really need to do is self educate yourself, read and consume (in a intellectual sense) everything you can. Also read everything with a slice of scepticism too, if somebody is telling you something don't accept it blindly, find out if it's actually backed up by anything.

What you really need to do is find something that is suitable and sustainable for you and you alone. Whatever that maybe, I know what works for me, I'm happy to share it with people but I also know it might not work for them.

I live and work in London in IT, I suspect our life styles from a diet and exercise perspective are similar. It's actually a really simple process to change your diet and exercise more, but it can be tough (simple doesn't mean easy). It takes dedication, focus and time to achieve the results you are looking to achieve.

Your goal of 17 stone is exactly what you should be looking at achieving. If you lose a single pound it will be progress, a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. There will be bumpy times ahead, but it's just a process of dropping weight a pound at a time, each one dropped takes you closer to where you want to be and further from where you began.

If you want to know more about how I approach things then send me a message.

Andy...

P.S. that all sounded like a sales pitch :) I genuinely don't have an agenda, it's just our stats seem so similar I wanted you to know that with dedication you can reach your goal.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Also 27, and also from the UK (Hampshire). Feel free to add! My job is a mix between desk and being active, and those 'desk days' can be difficult when it comes to the calorie counting, and weight loss and the effort you have to put in can be daunting. But trust me, give it a couple of weeks and you might find there is no stopping you :p

Plus, you have a realistic goal, which is always a good place to start!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Going in to battle is a good analogy as it will feel that way at times. My best advice is to weigh everything you put in to your mouth and log it in your food diary.
    Only eat back half of your exercise calories as it massively over estimates them. And take measurements as well as weight. It helps you through any stalls in weight loss. Best of luck and I'll send you an add to support you along the way :)
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    TomBristow wrote: »
    ...Or at least that is how I'm approaching it!

I've signed up to the forum to get to know people who are facing a similar battle, and to share ideas on how we can all help each other. I've been trying to battle my weight on my own for my entire life it seems - now is the time for change, and you good people are my inspiration. Some of the things I've seen on here are incredible, and I just hope I can be among those success stories myself one day.

A bit about me - I'm 27 years old, and I'm from London, England. I work in software sales for a US organization, which I love as it has allowed me to see the world but it isn't the most 'active' job as far as exercise goes.

I've always been a big person, but it has really spiraled in the last few years. It still pains me to hear old friends see me and say "what happened?" or "you never used to be this big did you?"

I'm 339 pounds and I want to lose 100+. We do things by 'stones' here in the UK, and I'm aiming for 17 stone, which is 238 lbs and a 101 lbs loss in total.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the challenge and starting a new, healthier chapter in life.

Thank you
    Tom

91989954.png
    Hi Tom,
    I'm also Tom, in Ireland.

Don't view it as a battle, more so a series of mini battles. Aim to just lose 2 pounds in your first week. You'll be tempted to want to lose more. If you do lose more, great, but just aim for 2 pounds per week. I'm losing about 2 pounds per week, but had a couple of flat weeks. Then got myself back up again.

A few things which helped me:
    1. Tell your mates that you need to lose weight and are trying. That way, in the pub on a Friday night they won't look at your funny when you order a mineral water. Even the biggest piss taker and messer will encourage you.
    2. Start slowly, do 20 minute brisk walks three times a week. Don't plan 1 hour jogging sessions as your ankle will twitch, it will start raining, your headphones won't work, etc.
    3. Drink lots of water but in small amounts. Nothing more off putting than a pint glass of water.
    4. Write down everything you eat on the app.

Go for it. You can do it!

• bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me I understand the battle mindset. Since I first decided to lose weight I am down 67 pounds in 2 years, and to be fair I was down that far in the first 10 months or so and have been maintaining ever since.
  • Clo747
    Clo747 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hey, Tom. I'm 32, American, but living in the UK. I used to live in Wembley, but moved when we started a family. We're in Essex now. I just wanted to wish you the very best on this journey. Its a life changer! x
  • TomBristow
    Options
    Thank you all for your helpful advice and encouragement. Its been a good first week so far, losing a couple of pounds and feeling a lot better in myself after eating a lot healthier and keeping things accountable.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Hi Tom! Glad to hear it is going well so far!

Also Emma, love your advice!