Besides the scale, any other favourite kitchen gadgets?

Options

Replies

• GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a small black microwave pot purchased from Pampered Chef. It is perfect for heating up just about anything . I have had it at least 10 years and I still use it almost every meal for something.

I make old fashioned oatmeal in it most mornings and eat right out of the pot. I just add 10 raisins, 6 dried cranberries, and 10 small pieces of walnuts. At lunch, I use it to heat up frozen vegetables or microwave baby carrots. The lid has holes so with a quick turn you can drain out water.

Tonight at dinner, I reheated rice and chicken mole' that I had leftovers from what I made yesterday. The leftover rice is so fluffy when I add just a touch of additional water.

• Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love my nutri ninja. I can make my breakfast smoothie with oats and it's completely smooth. I'd be really sad if it ever broke.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Vitamix for smoothies, protein shakes, soups, sauces... love it! Also, a cheap smoothie shaker cup when the Vitamix is dirty or I want to make a quick protein drink.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Food processor, rice cooker (so quick and easy - I also make other grains and legumes in it), bread machine, and crock pot.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Carol_ wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    My moka pot and my battery operated handheld milk frother. I make really good espressos, lattes, cappuccinos etc. at home (tastes better than Starbucks!) and have a satisfying treat that tastes really really good with very few calories. And I save a ton of money as a nice bonus.
    That is what I need, an electric milk frother. So, they work?
    Yes, I paid less than $3 for one. I ordered online from Amazon. It's run by two batteries. I love it...use it at least a few times a week. Froths really well. Takes up very little room...I just throw it in a drawer when it's not being used.

If there is an Ikea by you, they sell one for about the same price. You can spend much more, but there is no reason to.
  • qqsha
    qqsha Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I adore my slow cooker, but my favorite has to be my (mom's) blender. Its not fancy, but with enough liquid, I can make some really delicious fruit smoothies and fruit milk shakes. Love drinking a fruit smoothie with lunch.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Nutribullet with extractor blade for smoothies, milling blade to make oat and other flours
    Silicone mini-muffin pans for muffins, mini frittatas and mini meatloafs
    Silpat and tray for roasting
    Electric steamer for everything
    Slow cooker
    Salad spinner
    Egg slicer
    Strawberry huller and strawberry slicer (so cute)
    Oil misters (one for EVOO and one for safflower)
    Avocado keeper

I also have this really cool asparagus cooker that my daughter-in-law was getting rid of, so I rescued it from the charity box. It is a really tall stainless steel pot with a lid and wire basket that fits inside. I use it occasionally for asparagus, but also boiling eggs and blanching veggies.

I'm wanting to get a spiralizer or vegetini. I made zucchini noodles once just using a vegetable peeler and then slicing them, but it was time consuming.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You can get a milk frother that cheap?

I forgot about my salad spinner. It saved me when my community garden exploded last August. We're talking serious salad greens, here.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    My silicone muffin trays! I use them at least once a month. I also picked up some silicone muffin liners that hubby really likes. It peels away from the muffin so neatly.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Hubby is in charge of smoothies and the blenders. They are a mystery to me. His favourite is the Ninja.
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You guys have mentioned all of my favorite gadgets already...except for my handheld citrus squeezer. I use that thing virtually every day and it's a life saver. Plus, it's vital when you need to make margaritas! :smile:
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @azure7 I just learned something new! I bet that thing gives you it's own workout.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    3 things that end up in my dishwasher EVERY cycle are: handheld lemon squeezer, garlic press, and Magic bullet blender. Also could not live without my Kuerig, rice cooker or electric griddle.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My Ninja 4 in one cooker.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My silicone muffin trays! I use them at least once a month. I also picked up some silicone muffin liners that hubby really likes. It peels away from the muffin so neatly.

I use them at least once a week! The only time I use the old fashioned muffin tins is if I'm doing cupcakes for a party or event and want them to look cute.

when I saw this thread I thought "I don't have that many kitchen gadgets", LOL. Until I started listing them I had no idea!

Salad spinner is the best! My garden is already starting to blow up with greens, so it will get a workout!
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    You can get a milk frother that cheap?

I forgot about my salad spinner. It saved me when my community garden exploded last August. We're talking serious salad greens, here.

Yes, the one I got is no longer listed but it was very similar to these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Milk-Frother-100-763-20-Silver/dp/B00Q4O5MY0/ref=sr_1_7?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1434472031&sr=1-7&keywords=milk+frother

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Handheld-Coffee-Frother-Beater/dp/B00CRCU6PI/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1434472031&sr=1-3&keywords=milk+frother

There are ones that look almost identical that sell for more money, but I can't imagine what they do that these cheap ones don't. I don't think it would replace a blender...if you tried to use it to mix anything really thick it wouldn't be strong enough. But I have used it to froth milk, mix protein powder in milk or water, etc. It works well for that type of thing. I just rinse the wisk under water while on and that cleans it in seconds.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    My garlic press gets a lot of mileage, too.
  • greekyogurtandpuppies
    greekyogurtandpuppies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My food processor for making energy balls... Yum
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    I'm a big fan of my silicone muffin trays as well. I have the mini ones...they are great for just making a few servings when testing out a new baking recipe, for eggs dishes, I have used them to make really cute ice cubes (they come in various shapes), and even massage bars. The best things ever!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Overall, I've been cooking a helluva lot more every day. My santoku blade and cutting boards have gotten way more mileage.