question on drinking (alcohol)

Options
Hello fitfam , I'm the type of person that enjoys drinking every weekend or at least 3xs a month with friends .... My nutrition is on point ! And I workout 5 days a week.... My goal is to get abs and of course build muscle... Does anybody here have abs and live the same social life as I do ??? Will alcohol mess up your gains ??? Please if anyone can write back to this I would really appreciate it ...

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    We all have abs. Some people's are just more visible than others.
  • jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of answers to your question...1. If you count the alcohol in your overall calories and sugar and stay within your guidelines for both, you should be able to indulge in moderation and still lose weight. 2. This is provided you do not have any trouble metabolizing sugar. If you do, then it will make it more difficult.
  • marcosdt10
    marcosdt10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    We all have abs. Some people's are just more visible than others.

Yeah I know that, sorry about that but I ment being lean to the point where your abs are visible
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if you count the alcohol in your calories and eat a deficit, you will be fine and on the way to leaner you
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Especially if it's tequila.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    My issue is that when I drink I tend to eat more without tracking it, and usually indulging in high-calorie stuff. So I get the calories from both the alcohol plus whatever I end up eating.
  • thelordswarrior777
    thelordswarrior777 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Abs are all about body fat %. You will never see them unless you achieve a lower fat%. Diet and genetics are key. But everyone can have that 6 or 8 pack, some just have to work harder than others. Do your abs first during your workouts and do tons of cardio. I usually do my weight lifting, then abs then cardio during a workout session. That keeps my heart rate up and I continue to burn fat even after I leave the gym. So to answer your question, alcohol could affect it due to the calories and sugar you are putting in your body. You will have to work harder to achieve a calorie deficiet.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    But everyone can have that 6 or 8 pack, some just have to work harder than others.
    I can't. :'(

• seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If you want visible abs you need to lose bodyfat by eating and\or exercising into a caloric deficit. Alcohol adds calories, and can impact kidney and liver function (which means reduced elimination, which means slower weight loss), but otherwise will not magically stop you from having a 6-pack.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Moderate alcohol intake is fine, just count the calories.

If we're talking getting falling-down drunk 3x per month, yes, there is a good chance that it will negatively affect your fitness goals.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    But everyone can have that 6 or 8 pack, some just have to work harder than others.

Photoshop & airbrushing ;)
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    "It's genetics"

No it isn't, it's (1) a need for lower bodyfat and (2) a need for stronger (and thus thicker & more visible) abdominals.

GuitarJerry, you've got the beginnings of visible abs in one of your pictures and by continuing to lower your bodyfat percentage and increase the strength (and thus thickness) of your abs, they'd continue to gain visibility.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Photoshop & airbrushing ;)
    They're beyond anyone's airbrushing skills and far beyond my Photoshopping skills. Though a nice six pack pic would go nicely next to the pictures of my wedding to Jessica Biel.

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    My issue is that when I drink I tend to eat more without tracking it, and usually indulging in high-calorie stuff. So I get the calories from both the alcohol plus whatever I end up eating.

This was my problem too. I have stopped drinking alcohol and can stay at this level. You can be lean and drink but you have to count those calories and be mindful of what your eating during drinking/drunk sessions...
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

I think this is the slippery slope that many people fall into (myself included) and is why I save what little drinking I do anymore for cheat meals and special occasions. I haven't had a drink in months.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    tribal_abs_bodypainting_halloween_miami.jpg

You could paint them on? ;)
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    "It's genetics"

No it isn't, it's

Speaking the truth... Took 34 years and stripping out every excuse in the book to see that and see them.

And to OP. Yup you can. You just need to be on point the remainder of the week. I usually lean toward one drinking day / week. It's not so much the alcohol for me, it's the food consumption that follows after I have one sip.

I'd imagine 3 days a week of partying is going to much harder to offset than 1. So good luck to you.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    "It's genetics"

No it isn't, it's (1) a need for lower bodyfat and (2) a need for stronger (and thus thicker & more visible) abdominals.

GuitarJerry, you've got the beginnings of visible abs in one of your pictures and by continuing to lower your bodyfat percentage and increase the strength (and thus thickness) of your abs, they'd continue to gain visibility.

This is totally on point. Often, people take the approach of just trying to lean themselves out in a question for visible abs, but at the end of the day, your abs are a muscle group like any other, and need to be trained with appropriate resistance if you want them to "pop".

I've managed to make my way to a 4-pack (6, if I stand 'just right'), and I'm hoping to have it totally ready to go by summer.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    tribal_abs_bodypainting_halloween_miami.jpg

You could paint them on? ;)
    Good luck with that.

wg53ogco8v0s.png