Looked into FitBit, should I consider Jawbone UP?

Options
I'm looking to track my activity and hopefully get a more accurate calorie burn than what I get from MapMyRun and my treadmill and it would appear that the cost is a little cheaper with Jawbone, and I could get it used......

I had a couple discussions posted about the FitBit Charge HR and for almost $200 I couldn't justify the cost.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It's basically personal preference. Both FitBit and Jawbone are pretty good at what they do.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    DeguelloTex, getting more bang for my buck is more what I would prefer. I understand neither one of these will be 100% accurate but I just want something that will give me a good track so I can better figure out WTH lol
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I like my UP24. It's being phased out, so I bought a couple of refurbs so I'll have extras on hand. I like it that much. My wife uses a FitBit and likes it, too.

I'd recommend just taking a look at both at the price point you want and seeing if either or both have the features you want, if any, beyond step counting. If you still can't decide, might as well go for the one you think looks best.
  • martiniconqueso
    martiniconqueso Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I recently changed from Jawbone to FitBit. I think the Jawbone UP is actually a better tracker in some ways; I was frustrated with its poor bluetooth connectivity and the frequent issues it had syncing data with MyFitnessPal.

The Fitbit, on the other hand, has no issues syncing and the website for Fitbit is considerably better (though the UP phone app is quite nice.) The problem with FitBit is that it was reporting really out-of-whack calorie adjustments to MyFitnessPal, and in the process of trying to figure that out I managed to break something such that I now get no calorie adjustment at all. I can live with that but it's irksome.

Both are pretty good at what they do; if cost is a factor I'd go with Jawbone but be aware they have had some quality issues. The original UP band (no bluetooth) is probably your best bet since even new they are less than 80 dollars US.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I bought UP24 in December of 2014. First replacement was in April 2015 cause the button fell off. The one I have now that replaced it seems like it has some battery issues and I may have to replace that one. With that said, It does collect data well and the app displays the data in a nice way, but I have heard other stories of the device itself having to be replaced. A co-worker has gone through 3 of them as well decided to switch to the FitBit, which he says he is happy for doing. I decided to get a Samsung Gear S because I wanted a SmartWatch as well as a fitness tracker. It doesn't do the best in the fitness tracking dept, but offers a HRM and other cool features that the UP24 didn't have. I currently wear both and will probably phase out the UP24 at some point, especially if the battery issues are real issues (I have performed a reset and re-sync to see if that fixes it).
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Thanks DeguelloTex! The cost of the Jawbone makes me feel like I could actually buy one.

martiniconqueso: connecting (accurately) with MFP is fairly big for me. When I do track anything it is through MFP. I'll be fine if I have to disconnect and reconnect once every few months to make it work. The one I was looking at is the UP, it's for sale on an online garage sale app for $90 CAD but I looked online and a website is offering $30 off and the price listed is $90 so I don't know if the $30 was removed but if it costs me $60 I would be stoked! lol
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    ErikThaRed: those seem to be a lot of issues for such a short time frame. I wanted the FitBit Charge HR but the cost is a little excessive and even the FitBit Charge is a little pricey. I just don't know which would be best and it's making me crazy
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Issues were more frequent closer to the product's launch, but there are always going to be issues with relatively new technology.

The battery on my UP24 lasts about 17 days between charges.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    17 days sure beats the 4-5 days you get with the Charge HR
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    It's not a huge deal day-to-day, but it's nice not having to take the charger with me on trips.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Welp, it's no $60 lol
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    _rachel_k wrote: »
    17 days sure beats the 4-5 days you get with the Charge HR
    There's a huge world of difference between what the UP24 is tracking in that that 17 days and the Charge HR is tracking in the 4-5 days. UP24 is only picking up movement, and possibly air pressure. Charge HR is constantly pulsing a light to monitor your heart rate.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    They said that without the HR monitor 24/7 you still only get about 5 days of battery out of it.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    BestBuy.ca has the Jawbone Up for $30 CAD, and it's claiming it's the activity tracker, am I crazy or does that seem to cheap??
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have the jawbone up24 and that is what my friends have so I keep it since we have fun with it. also they are on groupon now for $50.
  • paris458
    Options
    and make sure you get the up24 and not the regular because plugging it in all the time to update is a pain and drains your battery.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    I have never used groupon before lol do you love your Jawbone UP24?

I was actually looking into the original UP (that was what was presented to me on the online garage sale app) but still, UP24 on BestBuy.ca is only $50 CAD, no groupon required
  • paris458
    Options
    I like it. I ruined one by getting in the pool (yes I knew better) but I was able to return it to amazon. Since all my friends are on there it motivates me to take extra steps.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Noted lol it says it's water resistant so does that mean you can shower with it or is it more, you're running in the rain briefly but it will be OK?
  • paris458
    Options
    my sisters lasted fine in the pool. my battery was dead so I think it was still wet when I tried charging it that was the issue. so the shower would be fine.