Spiralizer Advice

Options
RaeBeeBaby
RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
I've been wanting to get one of the vegetable spiralizers to make veggie noodles. Prices I'm seeing range from around $10 up to $30. Is it worth the extra money to get the higher end model or is the $10 "As Seen on TV" veggetti, work just as well? (I can buy a lot of fresh produce for $20, but not worth it if it is flimsy.)

Also, if anyone wants to share their favorite ways to use this gadget, that would be much appreciated!

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I got the "as seen on TV Vegetti"...works great!!
  • whmscll
    Options
    I spiralize yellow squash or zucchini squash. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes with a small bit of olive oil and garlic. Add shrimp. Or add baked turkey meatballs and pasta sauce.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have a spiralizer that cost me about $25. The crank handle broke off but is still usable. So yeah...they are a bit flimsy but I use mine a lot. I haven't used one of the hand held ones so I can't give you a comparison.

Here is my favorite use of the spiralizer...

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2015/04/spiralized-sweet-potato-latkes.html
  • Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love mine! It's a hand held, cost about $13.00 at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I just nuke the zuchinni for 2 minutes, salt and pepper - delicious.
  • whmscll
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I have a spiralizer that cost me about $25. The crank handle broke off but is still usable. So yeah...they are a bit flimsy but I use mine a lot. I haven't used one of the hand held ones so I can't give you a comparison.

Here is my favorite use of the spiralizer...

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2015/04/spiralized-sweet-potato-latkes.html

Awesome recipe, thanks!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I have the veggetti. It feels super cheap, but it hasn't failed me yet.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback and great ideas! I think I'll just get a cheapy one today and go for it!

I made zucchini noodles once just using a vegetable peeler and then slicing each slice into noodles like linguini size, but it was time consuming. I wasn't sure if hubby would appreciate the novelty, so I mixed them half and half with quinoa noodles and added spaghetti sauce. He thought it was delicious and didn't even notice the zucchini noodles mixed in until I told him. :smiley:
  • Harpin_Maddog
    Harpin_Maddog Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love the spiralizer. I have had it for a year with no problems and use it all the time. What I also like about it is that there is no waisted part of the veggie or fruit. No middle core that you either lose or have to chop up. Will do larger veggies and fruit than the veggetti. There are comparison videos on youtube. Should check them out.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    How do you guys cook your zucchini noodles? Mine always come out watery, kind of gross.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Veggetti also works perfectly fine for me. ASKyle, I don't actually cook the noodles. I make them (thin) and pour hot sauce over them and it cooks them without getting super watery.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    How do you guys cook your zucchini noodles? Mine always come out watery, kind of gross.

I sauté mine with a tiny bit of olive oil in a hot pan.

I don't have a spiralizer, so I just use our mandolin with the julienne blade installed. It works well, if you're interested in trying veggie noodles but not sure if you'll like them enough to justify buying another gadget.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of and must check out this spiralizer you all are speaking of.....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

I often don't cook them. I either eat them cold with a vinaigrette dressing, or just let whatever hot sauce I am putting on them cook them a bit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I got mine as a gift. I looked it up on Amazon and it's about $30 on there. It's nice, but my daughter has the little hand-held cheapo model and it works fine too.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    This is a delicious salad that stays well in the fridge. I didn't enter it as it was for a potluck and I'm lazy, but it's healthy. http://peasandcrayons.com/2014/04/gluten-free-sweet-and-sour-thai-cucumber-pasta-salad.html
  • whmscll
    edited June 2015
    Options
    y7ruwec8xnje.jpg
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I used my cheap spiralizer for the first time yesterday. Worked well, and i enjoyed my first courgetti meal!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »
    This is a delicious salad that stays well in the fridge. I didn't enter it as it was for a potluck and I'm lazy, but it's healthy. http://peasandcrayons.com/2014/04/gluten-free-sweet-and-sour-thai-cucumber-pasta-salad.html

Wow! This salad looks and sounds amazing! I have a group meeting tomorrow night (potluck) and some of the ladies were complaining they're not getting enough vegetables in their lives. I know what I'll be taking!! Thank you!
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Fortunately I received it as a gift, but I have the Paderno one from Williams Sonoma. This is a huge, clunky machine that I hate storing. I use it, but it irritates me every time.