Morning Sickness is KILLING My Exercise Routine

Options
Wendy1Fl
Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
I don't know what to do. I'm 4-6 weeks pregnant, and the nausea has been hitting so hard all day long for the last 5 days. I feel like every time I get up & move it makes it worse. I'm really kinda freaking out here; I can't stand the thought of going sedentary again. Anyone with experience have helpful tips for this kind of thing? I have lost 5 lbs in one week because the nausea & vomiting have gotten so unmanageable. It's miserable!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Aside from talking to your doctor, which I assume you will anyway - morning sickness usually passes. I was way less active in my first trimester. I was nauseous so much that I actually would be surprised when I wasn't. Once it passed I became more active again.
    In the meantime, just do what you can when you feel like you can.

Oh and ginger. Ginger tea. Ginger cookies. Even ginger candies. The pharmacist did advice me not to take the ginger anti nausea pills though.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Yes on ginger!!!! The candies really saved me when I was pregnant! I got the candies because they were strong enough. It relatively inexpensive too...
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Sea sickness acupressure bands were my ultimate miracle. I was vomiting up to 11 times daily, felt constantly hung over. Hospitalized 6 times and also suffered mad heartburn right up until I pushed him out. The only time I didn't feel like vomiting was when I wore those bands.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Wendy1Fl wrote: »
    I don't know what to do. I'm 4-6 weeks pregnant, and the nausea has been hitting so hard all day long for the last 5 days. I feel like every time I get up & move it makes it worse. I'm really kinda freaking out here; I can't stand the thought of going sedentary again. Anyone with experience have helpful tips for this kind of thing? I have lost 5 lbs in one week because the nausea & vomiting have gotten so unmanageable. It's miserable!

Talk to your dr. You might need medication and you might need IV fluids. In the meantime, rest and focus on being hydrated. Exercise is not always possible while pregnant.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely take medical advice. Sickness passes after about 12wks for many ppl but if it's as extreme as u say u shd take advice. Cconcentrate on staying well and looking after bump. Most ppl have huge energy surge mid trimester so you can hopefully look forward to that. Enjoy your pregnancy if you can
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    check with your dr
    but I agree with the ginger. even ginger ale-if it uses real ginger
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My Dr. told me to take 25 mg of Vitamin B6 with Unisom at night, and another 25 mg of B6 with my morning meal. It has made the nausea less overwhelming; I'm only throwing up about every other day now. I still battle nausea every day, all day. It's just not as intense. I haven't been able to do anything besides go to work, so I guess it's back to sedentary for me. I will try the wrist bands, thank you for the suggestion. I wanted to enjoy this pregnancy, I really did, but I can't seem to feel anything but less than human.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Birth control
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Wendy1Fl wrote: »
    My Dr. told me to take 25 mg of Vitamin B6 with Unisom at night, and another 25 mg of B6 with my morning meal. It has made the nausea less overwhelming; I'm only throwing up about every other day now. I still battle nausea every day, all day. It's just not as intense. I haven't been able to do anything besides go to work, so I guess it's back to sedentary for me. I will try the wrist bands, thank you for the suggestion. I wanted to enjoy this pregnancy, I really did, but I can't seem to feel anything but less than human.

Hoping it will pass for you.

• tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You say you don't want to go sedentary again but morning sickness doesn't usually last throughout a pregnancy, so you can probably afford to look after yourself for the time you do have it, then return to appropriate exercise afterwards?

Keep in mind that hormones through pregnancy do cause relaxation of ligaments and this can have a massive effect on what kinds of exercise we can do safely. If you like swimming, it's a good way to keep exercising. Both supportive and generally less stressful than land based activities.