personal trainer

Options
I joined the gym several weeks ago, and I have considered paying for personal training. I dont know if its worth the money. what should I do?

Replies

• sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, I say go for it. I have had one for the past 3 years. If it weren't for him, I'd rarely see the gym. He pushes me much harder than I'd ever push myself. He also is knowledgeable and changes up our exercises, so it's never boring.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    See if you can get a couple of free sessions. They usually do this when you first join a gym.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    definitely worth it. :flowerforyou:
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think its worth it aside from an initial session to learn how to use the machines.

youtube is great for seeing how to do things with proper form.
    bodybuilding.com is full of workout routines.

spend a little time with those two sites and you could save a ton of money.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    If you do look into where they were certified and what kind of schooling they have. I am a personal trainer. When I am at the gym I see people go straight to cardio machines. Don't get me wrong-it is great they are there, but I preach weight training like nobodies business. If you want the best results you need weight training. If you don't know how to do this or feel intimidated by weight-get a trainer. Just to help you out. Try and get one that is going to teach you so you can do it on your own once you feel comfortable!!

bmontgomery87 is right. There are a lot of places you can go to look at exercise. Chose which group you want to work that day and you can find out correct form and some great exercises on line. So say you wanted to do chest and tris one day. Look those workouts up and you can find some and just check on the form, but make sure you do it right or you can get injured!!
  • cindysharp1
    cindysharp1 Posts: 20
    Options
    I would pay to have a trainer to give me a work out plan!! It is so worth it, I am lucky that the gym I go to offers this. Every 6 weeks she gives me a new plan. I am not sure I would like it one on one every week but once every 6 is great for me.
  • almeria1
    almeria1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I trully appreciate everyone input. I have been on and off the gym for the past years... When I was going constantly I did loose the weight and kept it off, but my body didnt look fit. This time around, I wan tto make sure I get the results I expect. I have doen some research and have found that information interesting and helpful, but I cant help feeling a little intimidated when I walk into the weight room.

The trainer at my gym charges 880 for 8 weeks of training. She will sepnd 60 minutes with me every week. I think its expensive, but I wouldnt know what people pay for this kind of work.

If she were less expensive I wouldnt doubt hiring her.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out I didn't need one. I was able to do enough research on how to play the fitness game. I lost all of my weight and became a healthier person by doing it all on my own.

Within the last 6 months I decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did!!! I work out with a trainer at least once a week. I get pushed harder than what I would do by myself, plus my trainer makes me do exercises I would never want to do on my own and won't let me cut corners when I get tired.

They're great for pushing,motivating, and teaching you new things. I love having my trainer! I still do a lot on my own, but I don't ever want to give up my sessions.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I have had a trainer and I was pushed to hard which caused an injury.... it was a man, go figure. There is so many videos and online stuff on how to train your body with weights. Think about using a kettleball, fast results. Do some research online.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I trully appreciate everyone input. I have been on and off the gym for the past years... When I was going constantly I did loose the weight and kept it off, but my body didnt look fit. This time around, I wan tto make sure I get the results I expect. I have doen some research and have found that information interesting and helpful, but I cant help feeling a little intimidated when I walk into the weight room.

The trainer at my gym charges 880 for 8 weeks of training. She will sepnd 60 minutes with me every week. I think its expensive, but I wouldnt know what people pay for this kind of work.

If she were less expensive I wouldnt doubt hiring her.

I think $110 per week for one 60 minute session is extremely high - especially on top of a gym membership. I pay 400 for 10 1-hour sessions.
  • almeria1
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input. I think Im going to look around and look for a trainer out in the community. I dont know if my gym would allow it, but the people in there charge too much!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input. I think Im going to look around and look for a trainer out in the community. I dont know if my gym would allow it, but the people in there charge too much!

My trainer comes to the house for that price! I don't pay for a gym membership, but I did invest in a treadmill last summer when I lost my job - my unemployment gift to myself! :D
  • samanthaishealthy
    Options
    I pay 360$ a month for 3 sessions a week, it is awesome that price seems a bit steep. My sessions are each 30 minutes and I get monthly body fat assessments and nutrition assessments and so forth.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have thought about it, but instead I do a boot camp twice a week with a few people, but we all get one to one time with the instructor, who gives us exercises to do for our own level of ability, then pushes us to step it up each time. It's not quite like having a personalised fitness regime, but it's a lot cheaper, and pretty good.
  • cwojo
    cwojo Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Definately worth it. I have paid for a trainer for two days a week since January 1st and have lost 32 lbs. Prior to this I worked out on my own for one year and lost 5lbs. They push you and show you the proper way to work out along with eating properly. Well worth the money I spent.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    What if you contacted a local college and found a senior exercise science major to help you? Maybe they would like to help for class credits? Or just for the experience? I'm sure it would be much cheaper and they could get experience
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If I could afford to see my personal trainer more than the one free visit a month, I would do it in a heartbeat! I love seeing my trainer because she pushes me harder than I work on my own and she shows me new exercises.
  • almeria1
    Options
    Hi Kristi....

Thanks! I just wanted to share that you and I have the same exact measurements. The info you give and teh advice you gave given does help.
  • almeria1
    Options
    So here are the actual prices.

1 time per week 480
    2 times per week 880
    3 times per week 1200
    4 times per week 1440
  • PJS323
    PJS323 Posts: 115
    Options
    Mine is worth every penny & sacrafice I've made to keep him. He is the best. At first I was intimidated by what to expect. I told him about my previous injuries (which are way too many), and he started our first session by just seeing what I could do. The experiences I've had with him are important to achieving my ultimate goal. I was at a plateau when we started (51lbs lost), and within the last 6 weeks I've dropped another 22, and have done things I never would have thought possible. If you can afford it-do it. Just make sure the 2 of you understand each other, and they support you 100%.