Race Training Advice

Options
Hello lovely runners!! So I have a 10k coming up in about a month! I ran 6 miles for the first time the other day and am excited I now know I can survive it but would like advice on training for the next month. What routine do you guys keep up with a month before a race? How do you improve your speed in a short amount of time? Any suggestions are much appreciated!!!

Replies

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    A month out you run the risk of hurting yourself if you jump into track workouts/sprinting etc. Whatever you've been doing, keep doing it but add a bit more (10% or so) then back off the week before the race.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Pretty much as he says. You're new to running so you'll continue to get faster for quite a while just by building more of a mileage base. Speedwork not needed for a while to get faster. Keep running as you have with smart, conservative weekly miles increases, and drop back a bit in the days before the race.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can do in this short space of time to improve your speed in any meaningful way. But you certainly can get a *little* faster. Get that long run up to 7 or maybe even 8 miles before the race. Then on race day, push the pace *just a little* and you might find yourself running the 6.2 even faster than you thought possible.