Weight Training

Options
bryzzl
bryzzl Posts: 17 Member
Hi Guys!

I've never really done controlled exercising for losing weight before, I tended to do it solely for the fitness aspect of it - and by fitness, solely (again!) my endurance for sport. So since I joined, and decided to commit to losing a stone in weight, I've been doing reading on the best kind of training to do and a lot of people recommend weight training alongside their cardio.

What i want to know is, if I am going to cardio classes, where we use weights in our hands (say for example, a boxercise-esque class where 2.5kg weights in each hand doing jabs, uppercuts etc etc) does that count as weight training? Or is weight training solely on the machines in the weights gym? I have occasionally used these, but find that it feels so disjointed from my normal excersizing routine that I don't do it for very long - whereas when using weights in classes for stomach crunches, lunges and other movements, I find myself really energised and pushing myself.!

Sorry for the ramble, but I would like some advice on whether this is what people would recommend :) Thanks!!

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd really count 2.5kg weights as weight training.

You need to actually use some machines and freeweights.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I would say that is more tae-bo style (if you are using light weight but constantly moving). Or circuit training POSSIBLY if you are doing heavier stuff during that time.

**EDIT - But either way, I wouldn't consider it strength training
  • bryzzl
    bryzzl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bleh..I thought as much. Nevermind! I hate that aspect of the gym .. will have to just suck it up. THanks :)
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I consider them a separate thing.........weight training is wonderful for building endurance, strength and definition. I highly recommend it! :flowerforyou:
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Nevermind! I hate that aspect of the gym .. will have to just suck it up.

Might want to give it a shot (as BabyDuchess says) - varying your routine can be helpful, and while I love the circuit training/tae-bo style, building muscle with the machine and free-weights (with proper form), will make a HUGE difference in muscle
  • mgriffin51
    mgriffin51 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think the type of weight training they mean to have you do is heavy weights where you are actually tearing muscle and rebuilding it. When I started my weight loss I only did aerobic exercise for about a year. I made progress, but when I started doing heavy weight training (three sets of 10 reps on machines) at the end of every aerobic workout the speed of my weight loss almost doubled.
  • bkube01
    bkube01 Posts: 20
    Options
    What you describe is really cardio-only using light resistance. It does not count as weight training.

Bottom line is that weight training increases you metabolism. You should be lifting 3 days a week, touching all 11 major muscle groups, preferable using free weights and not the machines. The "best" lifting routines include squats, deadlifts, and bench presses because they touch multiple muscle groups. Be careful starting these lifts as you can hurt yourself. Check out a bunch of videos on youtube before you start to teach yourself the proper technique.

Build a routine that you can do and track your progress. Increase weight slowly, but when you are easily able to complete your sets.

Hope this helps!