HELP!! Buying New Running Shoes!

Options
Ok, So the old shoes I used to run it are way past time to get new ones. They started hurting my feet and I ended up hurting both ankles. Soooo, now that my ankles are feeling better I am looking into getting a new pair of running shoes that won't hurt my ankles. I have been told to look at Saucony and Adidas. Any other suggestions? Any certain type of shoes?

Thanks in advance for your help!
:)

Replies

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Go to a speciality running store and have a gait analysis peformed. They will give you options and then you can decide what's best for you. Don't trust anyone online or in a big general sports store to tell you which shoe is right for your feet.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do you have a running specialty store where you live? Your best bet is to have them analyze your gait (so you get the correct type of shoe - neutral, stability etc) and to try a selection of shoes on. While you can't really go wrong as far as quality is concerned between any of the major brands you will find significant differences in fit (heel width, toe box size etc). What works for me may not work for you.....

• wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local running specialty store? Not a big box like Dick's but a true running store? Go there. They are trained to help you find the right shoe for your body. You are different from the people you spoke to. You need to find out if your gait is neutral, overpronates, supinates. Different types of shoes for different runners.

Lots of good brands. Saucony, Adidas, Brooks, Nike, and many others. The store will have them all.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Go to a speciality running store and have a gait analysis peformed. They will give you options and then you can decide what's best for you. Don't trust anyone online or in a big general sports store to tell you which shoe is right for your feet.

So much this.
    The cost up front might hurt but the right shoes will aid in keeping you injury free (unless you fall into a pothole and break your ankle like I did)
  • PHStevenson
    PHStevenson Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't think we have a specialty running store here :/
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I would get your gait looked at in a specialty store, if you can. They should be able to tell you if you over- or under-pronate, or if you're neutral. That's going to determine on how much cushioning vs. stability you need in a shoe. If you can't do that, I would hit up Google for things like "pronation and running shoe types."

Personally, I really under-pronate, so I like really cushioned shoes (not into the whole barefoot running thing), and I swear by Asics.

Also, you should be ditching your shoes way before they cause you pain. I know running shoes are expensive as all get out, but fixing injuries from old shoes are even more expensive.

Edit: I swear there weren't a bunch of other posts saying what I was saying when I started typing, haha.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I like my Alutra's! Go to a running store get fitted and then go to 6PM.com. You'll save a bunch of money. My shoes were $120 in stores and I got them for $55 on the site. They carry most brands. I also used to run in Asics, liked those a lot too.
  • FitFitzy331
    Options

In Google search "running store (town and state you live in)" I just did it based on your profile and a few different places came up. These stores are really the best place shop to avoid injuries later, as you've already experienced pain with the wrong shoes, this should be a priority if you want to continue running.

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

Personally, I really under-pronate, so I like really cushioned shoes (not into the whole barefoot running thing), and I swear by Asics.

Agreed, broke down and bought a pair of cushy Asics - they are amazing, very comfortable. Worth the expense, I can run much further and painless now.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

This may help narrow things down a little then..... runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

Whatever you do, don't buy shoes without trying them on first. Running shoes that fit properly are 90% of the battle and shoes that fit right shouldn't need breaking in, there should be no spots that rub etc etc etc

runnersworld.com/running-shoes/how-to-buy-the-right-running-shoescom

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Hophead43 wrote: »
    I like my Alutra's! Go to a running store get fitted and then go to 6PM.com. You'll save a bunch of money. My shoes were $120 in stores and I got them for $55 on the site. They carry most brands. I also used to run in Asics, liked those a lot too.

That's a really jerky thing to do.
    Waste their time assisting you in finding the right shoe then buying it online.
    Most of these shops are locally owned, even Fleet Feet
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

Google found this, if your MFP location is correct: http://www.gottarunclemson.com/ roughly 45 minutes from you. Go there. Do NOT go to Foot Locker or Dick's Sporting Goods or any other kind of cookie cutter sporting goods/shoe store.

And don't buy your first pair online after getting fitted at the store. That's a jerk move.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

I took the liberty of looking at your profile, see you're from Starr, SC. Check the towns of Anderson, Greenville, or even Athens and I'll bet you'll find a place. It would definitely be worth the trip! Just googling I see Greenville has Run In and a Fleet Feet store.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It looks like there's a Fleet Feet in Greenville. There are other stores around, too. Trust me, it's worth it to drive an hour or so to do this. Once you know the shoe that fits what you need you can buy that exact model again, or one with the same characteristics, online or at a local store.
  • PHStevenson
    Options
    Thanks guys. I just feel like 1.5 hr drive isn't worth it for a pair of shoes.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

YES, it IS!!!! Without a doubt one of the best things you can do to get you started out right!

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Then you will have to deal with the consequences if you get the wrong pair. What works for me, won't work for you unless you are also a neutral runner with flat feet. If you buy a neutral shoe and overpronate, you could be looking at an injury down the line. How much time will that end up costing?

I guess, since your last pair worked, you could just buy that same exact model again.
  • FitFitzy331
    Options

I'd have to respectfully disagree. You've already been hurt with the wrong shoes so you should see how bad it is when you aren't fitted properly. You could make a day trip out of it if it seems like too long of a drive. Check out something else in the area, go to a park, etc... You have options but obviously this is up to you.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Hophead43 wrote: »

Bad advice, most running stores do more than sell shoes. Many of them offer learn to run clinics, offer free group runs, organize pace bunnies for races etc etc etc.....there's more to value than just price.

If everyone followed your advice the local shops would all close down, what would you do then?

• PHStevenson
    Options
    I know I underpronate so I know I need a neutral shoe. I just feel a little overwhelmed. Guess I will be making a trip this weekend.