Co-Workers Comment on Your Food Choices?

Options
bellaa_x0
bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
does anyone else NEVER hear the end of it from their co-workers when you bring your own, pre-portioned food to work with you?

I find it interesting that people feel the need to comment on my choices, meanwhile I don't say one word about theirs. also particularly interesting that the people who chime in with their opinion the most are the ones who should be a little more health conscious themselves. I guess it makes them feel better about eating loads of gravy covered meat with corn and mashed potatoes when they nag me about my "healthy" food (I had chicken thighs, asparagus and sweet potatoes for lunch). and don't get me wrong, i love gravy, corn and mashed potatoes - in moderation, of course!

ugh.

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the response when I decline a lunch invitation, "But you can order a salad." I have to bite my tongue to not say, "I brought my own damned salad, and it was carefully weighed, and I know exactly what's in it." Eventually, I decline enough to no longer get invitations, and I'd prefer it that way. :-)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I find a good throat punch effectively puts a stop to such comments.

Although it usually has the side effect of getting a one-on-one chat with your HR rep.

Seriously though...I find my life much less stressful the more I can ignore those kinds of people.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Occasionally from new people at work. But most of my co-workers are familiar with how I eat by now.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Ignore the idiots.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    My favorite is the response when I decline a lunch invitation, "But you can order a salad." I have to bite my tongue to not say, "I brought my own damned salad, and it was carefully weighed, and I know exactly what's in it." Eventually, I decline enough to no longer get invitations, and I'd prefer it that way. :-)

SOOO much this^^^. I don't get invitations anymore, lol. I would always get the same answer. "You can always get a salad." Honestly, it's not about eating a salad, and actually some salads have more calories then other entrees. I don't even eat salad very often. They don't seem to get that I can eat things other than salads, but I need to keep track of how MUCH I'm eating. That's hard to do when eating out all the time. Now if it was only occasionally, I would just go and not worry too much, but they would go out to eat nearly 3 to 4 times a week.

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I had one co-worker who would look at my food and comment all the time for a while. I finally just started telling her that I wasn't asking her to eat it. She no longer says anything. Other than that we get along great. The funny thing is that it wasn't even crazy stuff. It would be things like chicken and veggies and she would make a face like I was eating balut or something.
  • Jenfromtheblock84
    Jenfromtheblock84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I feel lucky that I have a group of ladies at work who are very supportive. A lot of us keep each other accountable like.. Oh no, you didn't bring those chips in here. Or come on let's get that water down. lol. I don't take offense to it and neither do they. We are each others accountability buddies. Now my family... that is a whole other story. My husbands family constantly wants to "go eat" and when I do go with them they constantly comment on "how little I eat" and how I "shouldn't starve myself". I'm like really, it's not starving myself it's portion control. lol. Bump them and their healthy metabolisms. :)
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have co workers who seem to compete on who can eat the least at lunch time. "all I have is a cup of chobani". "all i have is celery and water".. ok.. i'm exaggerating a little. Anyways- I NEVER participate in that, never comment. But the minute I heat up my carefully home-made, weighed out leftovers, and walk out from the break room with that AND a healthy salad to boot.. well the comments fly. "MMM, something smells so good! must be GPD's lunch!".. I take it mostly as a compliment. There is the occassional "I could NEVER eat like that". To which I ignore as best I can. I AM 'eating like that', and I AM getting healthier and losing weight. Not breaking any land speed records doing it, but it IS coming off. And I'm happy. so neener neener on them. :wink:
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    My coworkers don't usually make negative comments. I however, bite my tongue when I see my supervisor, who is out sick every other month, eat chick fil a every morning with a giant coke. We also get starbucks, donuts, cookies, cakes, etc brought in to us every week and I decline more often than not. Actually, I had a tough time with the uber delicious cookies today but I did it!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Most of my co-workers know how I roll after three years of kicking *kitten*. Nobody really says anything anymore...I look the way I look for a reason...and they look the way they look for a reason...and they know what those reasons are.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My coworkers are usually jealous. I prefer to bring my homecooked meals as opposed to a sandwich or frozen meal. Just the other day I was heating up my buffalo chicken meatballs with ranch yogurt dip and people loved the smell!

Ohh that sounds amazing! I might have to try something like that! I bet my husband would LOVE that!!!
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My coworkers are usually jealous. I prefer to bring my homecooked meals as opposed to a sandwich or frozen meal. Just the other day I was heating up my buffalo chicken meatballs with ranch yogurt dip and people loved the smell!

Ohh that sounds amazing! I might have to try something like that! I bet my husband would LOVE that!!!
  • bellaa_x0
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Most of my co-workers know how I roll after three years of kicking *kitten*. Nobody really says anything anymore...I look the way I look for a reason...and they look the way they look for a reason...and they know what those reasons are.

this +1
  • bellaa_x0
    Options

that does sound delicious!!!
  • DesiraeLynn24
    DesiraeLynn24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh my favorites:
    "That's all your eating?"
    "You're eating again?!"
    "I don't know how you eat the same thing everyday."
    "I don't know how you do it."

My response is typically the same to any comment or question

Summer is closer than you think or You don't know how I do it because you wont even try
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Eventually if you decline them enough they will just become spiteful and even more hateful. They will switch over to never inviting you to anything EVER and make sure to never tell you about food being brought into the office. Even if it is something you can eat.

You'll start to get "are you sure you can eat that?" *smug giggle* if you bring in a food item that meets your calorie goals for the day but is generally deemed "unhealthy" by society. For example, 1 slice of pizza with salad and carrot sticks. etc.

Have fun :)
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Mine are all usually quite complimentary. A couple are wanting to lose weight but haven't hit the right lets go for it moment.
    Only slightly negative remark was from one guy who first accused me of starving myself (after several of his own failed attempts at weight loss). I showed him my food for day and got a rather confused expression and a " but how do you lose weight eating all that?
  • iiRenity
    iiRenity Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I work in a bakery/deli and so it's an easy place to build the habit of mindless snacking, which I'm trying so very hard to break. It's not easy when they keep offering you bites of cream cheese balls, tres leche cakes, fried potato wedges... It's practically torture watching them eat it and making myself decline because I know I'm not hungry. If I politely decline the offer, I always end up getting dieting advice. Which bugs me, too. I know what works for my body and what doesn't.