Co-Workers Comment on Your Food Choices?

Options

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Eventually if you decline them enough they will just become spiteful and even more hateful. They will switch over to never inviting you to anything EVER and make sure to never tell you about food being brought into the office. Even if it is something you can eat.

You'll start to get "are you sure you can eat that?" *smug giggle* if you bring in a food item that meets your calorie goals for the day but is generally deemed "unhealthy" by society. For example, 1 slice of pizza with salad and carrot sticks. etc.

Have fun :)

Wow, that has never been my experience.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Eventually if you decline them enough they will just become spiteful and even more hateful. They will switch over to never inviting you to anything EVER and make sure to never tell you about food being brought into the office. Even if it is something you can eat.

You'll start to get "are you sure you can eat that?" *smug giggle* if you bring in a food item that meets your calorie goals for the day but is generally deemed "unhealthy" by society. For example, 1 slice of pizza with salad and carrot sticks. etc.

Not yet. ;)

"Uh... rainbowbow, i thought you don't eat junk food?" "Oh, you mean this bag of chips? I am eating a small dinner tonight" "Uhhuh, yeah, sure".

I can think of 10+ times this has happened to me by different people. When they see you eat "healthy" all the time, when they see you weigh things, and when they see you maintain weight loss long term they generally think it's their personal responsibility to make sure you don't get fat again. Apparently.
  • Hjones2889
    Hjones2889 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    I had one co-worker who would look at my food and comment all the time for a while. I finally just started telling her that I wasn't asking her to eat it. She no longer says anything. Other than that we get along great. The funny thing is that it wasn't even crazy stuff. It would be things like chicken and veggies and she would make a face like I was eating balut or something.

just had to google balut... i almost barfed lol

• initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Pet Peeve!

Even if the remarks are complimentary, like "Oh, so healthy!" or "That looks great I should be as healthy. You always eat so healthy! " It still strikes me as obnoxious. I'm eating a salad. It's not earth shattering and I'm sure you've had one at some point in your life too. Also:

A. I just want to eat lunch and not respond to phoney office niceties and oooohing and aahhing.
    B. I'm not trying to impress anyone or show that I'm better than them. I just like to cook and eat good things.
    C. At my job a lot of the people who say these things look pretty healthy themselves and don't seem to struggle with diet problems, so I don't understand the patronizing fawning over my healthy meal.

I think a lot of this behavior is sometimes just standard workplace chatter--something people say because they're in the break room with you and feel the need to say something, regardless how pointless or awkward. It's like the lunchtime equivalent of TGIF. Haha.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Not yet. ;)

"Uh... rainbowbow, i thought you don't eat junk food?" "Oh, you mean this bag of chips? I am eating a small dinner tonight" "Uhhuh, yeah, sure".

I can think of 10+ times this has happened to me by different people. When they see you eat "healthy" all the time, when they see you weigh things, and when they see you maintain weight loss long term they generally think it's their personal responsibility to make sure you don't get fat again. Apparently.

I'm glad I don't work in that environment. It sounds toxic. No one ever comments on my meals. I get asked to lunch every other week or so. Sometimes I go, sometimes I don't. Depends on how I feel and what kind of deficit I have built into my week.
  • junglejd13
    junglejd13 Posts: 55 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have a co-worker that doesn't eat vegetables, or anything green unless it is skittles. She constantly makes comments about the food I am eating, and that avocado, broccoli, and the like are "gross" and "disgusting". However, she eats processed *kitten* and candy all day long, and her teeth are literally starting to rot, and even though she probably weighs 100 pounds less than me and we are the same age, she is on tons of medication for blood pressure etc, so I just ignore these comments and smile, because my dentist told me my teeth were beautiful and perfect(sorry, bit of a big head on this one!) and I know my healthy choices make me happy and feel good. :D

Totally understood how hearing these comments day after day can be infuriating, and I've thought about a throat kick lots of times too :):
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I find a good throat punch effectively puts a stop to such comments.

Although it usually has the side effect of getting a one-on-one chat with your HR rep.

Seriously though...I find my life much less stressful the more I can ignore those kinds of people.

• Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    does anyone else NEVER hear the end of it from their co-workers when you bring your own, pre-portioned food to work with you?

I find it interesting that people feel the need to comment on my choices, meanwhile I don't say one word about theirs. also particularly interesting that the people who chime in with their opinion the most are the ones who should be a little more health conscious themselves. I guess it makes them feel better about eating loads of gravy covered meat with corn and mashed potatoes when they nag me about my "healthy" food (I had chicken thighs, asparagus and sweet potatoes for lunch). and don't get me wrong, i love gravy, corn and mashed potatoes - in moderation, of course!

ugh.

Not really. But living in New York, you pretty much see a row of salads and quinoa dishes across the row of work desks at lunch.

When I first started changing my diet, people definitely noticed and commented... but I used to be the one organizing Shake Shack Fridays with the field crew, and due to p90x was dropping pounds and gaining muscle in a very short amount of time -- so I was going to generate attention whether I wanted to or not.

Nowadays nobody cares :). And I consider social events / free lunches an occasion to break my standard diet, anyway.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When I was first changing things up and not doing intermittent fasting, yeah I'd hear stuff all the time. Fortunately it was generally positive stuff, with a couple "I couldn't ever do that" type comments. I would always emphasize that it was what I needed to do for me, and remind myself that often people saying this want to show you they see your efforts, but don't always know how to say it without coming off the wrong way.

Now that I do IF, I don't eat during work hours, so I don't tend to get comments unless I spend my lunch hour where coworkers can see I'm not eating. People don't invite me to eat, but I don't mind. My job is so interaction-intensive, my lunch break is my me time. While I'll occasionally eat outside of my window, I'm not usually hungry. People at work have seen me lose about 75 lbs over the last two years and don't bug me much any more about my food, now it's just comments about how "skinny" I'm getting.
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Pet Peeve!

Even if the remarks are complimentary, like "Oh, so healthy!" or "That looks great I should be as healthy. You always eat so healthy! " It still strikes me as obnoxious. I'm eating a salad. It's not earth shattering and I'm sure you've had one at some point in your life too. Also:

A. I just want to eat lunch and not respond to phoney office niceties and oooohing and aahhing.
    B. I'm not trying to impress anyone or show that I'm better than them. I just like to cook and eat good things.
    C. At my job a lot of the people who say these things look pretty healthy themselves and don't seem to struggle with diet problems, so I don't understand the patronizing fawning over my healthy meal.

I think a lot of this behavior is sometimes just standard workplace chatter--something people say because they're in the break room with you and feel the need to say something, regardless how pointless or awkward. It's like the lunchtime equivalent of TGIF. Haha.

THIS^^^

Except, in my case, "C." is with a bunch of over weight people who are actually bewildered; yet have worked with me for 10+ years and NEVER ONCE taken my advice on losing weight, etc! Waste of my breath...
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    My co workers know how I eat after all these years. They know I always bring my own food and don't eat out, so they don't even pass me the menus anymore B)
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't eat with them. Oh yeah & jealous!
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My favorite response is:
    "Do you own a mirror? If you observe your reflection, you might come to the objective conclusion that you are not fit to dispense nutrition information".

But of course i don't say because I'm nice. ;)
    Smile and nod.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    does anyone else NEVER hear the end of it from their co-workers when you bring your own, pre-portioned food to work with you?

I find it interesting that people feel the need to comment on my choices, meanwhile I don't say one word about theirs. also particularly interesting that the people who chime in with their opinion the most are the ones who should be a little more health conscious themselves. I guess it makes them feel better about eating loads of gravy covered meat with corn and mashed potatoes when they nag me about my "healthy" food (I had chicken thighs, asparagus and sweet potatoes for lunch). and don't get me wrong, i love gravy, corn and mashed potatoes - in moderation, of course!

ugh.

Not really. But living in New York, you pretty much see a row of salads and quinoa dishes across the row of work desks at lunch.

When I first started changing my diet, people definitely noticed and commented... but I used to be the one organizing Shake Shack Fridays with the field crew, and due to p90x was dropping pounds and gaining muscle in a very short amount of time -- so I was going to generate attention whether I wanted to or not.

Nowadays nobody cares :). And I consider social events / free lunches an occasion to break my standard diet, anyway.

i live and work in New York and still see plenty of desks full of fast food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options

ugh.
    Who cares? Being affected by what others think and say is part of the reason that people have self esteem issues with themselves. My stance is that if people can't stand the way I am, then it's their issue not mine. Whatever someone else thinks or believes has no effect on how I care for my family, my income, and my enjoyment of life, so why even care about their opinion? Let it ride and just do what you need to get done.
    Just make sure that you're not one to act "elite" about their own choices of food or how they go about their own lives. That's just as irritating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    Oh my favorites:
    "That's all your eating?"
    "You're eating again?!"
    "I don't know how you eat the same thing everyday."
    "I don't know how you do it."

My response is typically the same to any comment or question

Summer is closer than you think or You don't know how I do it because you wont even try
    No need to even defend yourself. Just smile and nod. Your responses could be viewed as them being inferior and then office gossip is created. Be the adult and don't even bother.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I made a general service announcement when i started working this job.

no one bothers me- I don't need to explain myself (I will sometimes because generally I like my coworkers- and it's a very small unit) but rarely to "defend" myself. That's just ridiculous.

I don't understand how this conversation comes up so much. We talk about food a lot at work- because we are all fat kids- but my boss is practically vegan- my coworker is all over the place- other coworker keeps to himself- Secretary has texture issues, admin assistant is the pickest person I've ever met. So we are just fine. No one explains anything and we all have a firm "try it once" kind of policy.
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    one time a coworker saw me refilling my water bottle and told me drinking water would make me fat. i don't listen to anything they have to say about diet.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    People at work used to make fun of the food I ate. Then I started bringing extra for my co-workers to try. They all admitted that my food was great and stopped making comments on my food. We even had a pizza lunch and one co-worker made a comment that I didn't eat the pizza and another co-worker defended me and said I did. I ate half a slice. Give it some time they will get used to your eating habits.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I'm the only person in my office.