Why did you all put on weight in the first place?

Options

Replies

• 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I ate more than my baby was nursing.
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Food is comforting and I didn't exercise a lot. I knew nothing about calories.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It started with a breakup, but I maintained decently well for a couple of years since I was really active. After I fell out of my activity though, the pounds crept on, and I didn't realize how big I had got. Even though I knew I was 300+ lbs, I would compare myself against other big people, and think "I'm not all THAT big."

It took a long time for me to get over that line of thought. Now that I've lost a significant amount of weight, I gasp at how huge I was when I look back at pictures from last year just before my heaviest.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Was in an abusive relationship (with a gd CHEF, jesus) for three years, during which I had two major losses in my family, my mother had to go on disability, my sibling got very sick, I was laid off from work and unemployed for 8 months....
  • TheBigDirection
    TheBigDirection Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was an emotional eater...

Whenever I'd get upset, depressed, stressed, I would eat.

And I was always upset over my weight, and so I would eat because it made me feel better.

I was stuck in a never-ending circle.

In the past few years I lost my mom, grandma, both grandpas, and a friend.

And I ate...

I'm now making a big effort to lose the weight and get my life back together. So far I've lost at least 30 pounds, but I still have another 300 to go.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    My weight directly stems from the sexual abuse I suffered as a child/teen. It's been my security blanket for years and shedding it isn't going to be easy but allowing myself to break free from the claws of abuse is the first step of my journey.

Thank you for sharing such honesty. Best of luck to you in your healing.

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I was younger for emotional reasons, but I was pretty active. However the habit continued into desk-life adulthood. It got worse when I went through major life changes (lost a family member, moved, had kids), and didn't decide to really tackle my issues until 2 years ago. I'm still a work in progress, but most days are good!
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight all my life. My mum didn't have a huge amount of money when I was growing up so every meal was cheap, packaged ready meals and chips. Plus she likes to bake so there was always cakes and biscuits in the house. I was 16st aged 18 and a size 20 (uk). I started experimenting more with food when I left home for uni and have made a lot of progress since but still got a way to go. Currently 13st 7 and nearly into a size 14.
  • Ad_Mare
    Ad_Mare Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I got a desk job and didnt change my eating habits to account for the new lack of movement. (mostly)
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I fell in love and cohaitated. This is a real issue l
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I got injured, gained 5lbs, got pregnant, gained 32-ish, and then sat on my butt as I was starting up my business.
  • semigallian
    semigallian Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Everyone has interesting stories, but I just love cake. And sweets in general.
  • musicminx
    musicminx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for sharing everyone! I hope you all get to where you want to be! One thing is for sure, sharing weight loss and struggles is sooooo much better than suffering all by your self!
  • gypsysoul74
    gypsysoul74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I fell out of love and begin drowning my sorrows in late night eating binges.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I started working in a call centre whilst living at home with my mum who never lets anyone mess up her kitchen (even making toast when I got in at 9:30pm was not allowed) so I started going to the drive through places on my way home. I would snack on sweets and pastries and go to Pizza Hut/kfc/ McDonalds for lunch.

Fast forward a few years later, I broke and dislocated my ankle and was on the sofa for 10 weeks bored out my brain, so I ate. I probably put on around 100lbs in maybe...3 years? Plus I can eat a LOT, and I mean a LOT at one time, I love the overfull feeling, and can happily eat a medium dominos pizza with 2 starters and some ice cream to myself
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    when I was 30 I graduated college and started working a gazillion hours at a CPA firm. prior to that, I was very active and never had a weight problem...in fact, I struggled for a long time trying not to be underweight because I just couldn't keep my consumption high enough to match my activity.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    There was no trigger event for me. I just got too comfortable and stopped paying attention to how much I was eating. I do it periodically and find myself having to reign it back in. I love to eat. And drink.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I had undiagnosed epilepsy and was unable to be active during my pregnancy. I had a "poor me" mentality, ate too much to comfort myself, and as a result gained way too much weight. It took me two years to get the weight off. I'm on the right medication right now, which causes its own issues, but I'm trying my best to handle it and be active and healthy.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy. I've got 3 kids. My eldest is 6 today and my other 2 are 4 and 13 months. I've lost all the weight after the first two, and got a little bit to go after my third. I kept active in pregnancy and ate healthily, but I always gain while pregnant.
  • hannahdiaz35
    hannahdiaz35 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've always struggled with my weight, but it got bad after having my 3 kids. All were high risk and I was put on bed rest, so I just ballooned. After having my youngest I was 90lbs over my pre pregnancy weight.