So I just got back from NYC and....

Hornsby
Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
So I've been there before, but haven't been there since I was fit and been on MFP. Naturally I noticed different things while I was there.

What I did notice is that there were very few overweight/obese people in the city. Being in Oklahoma where it seems like at least 50% of the people are overweight, this was a bit telling to me. For me, it just reemphasized the fact that the obesity problem in America is definitely more determined by the lack of activity rather than the foods we eat. I know I ate like crap as it was vacation, but also put in 30K steps per day. Came home from vacation....lighter than when I left.

Nothing scientific about this post at all. Just an observation.

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    We have a person in my office who used to be at the NY office. He said that a Fitbit tracker easily registered 10K steps and several flights of stairs just from the morning routine getting to work.
    Other odd thing - everyone thinks cities are huge sources of pollution but most NYers probably have a very low carbon footprint compared to suburban and rural people.
  • Hornsby
    If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. Interesting. See my first thought would be tons of fat people because of all the availability of food 24 hours. That's why it's not good to assume things. All those people in one spot might make me a bit nervous. I don't really like people.

It is definitely too many people for this Oklahoma guy. I love the city, but can't spend more than a few days there. That's just based on the people, and has nothing to do with the 1K cash I spent in 5 days just on transportation/food and few odds and ends. I don't know how "regular" people live there at all. It's so damn expensive. Either way, I was there for an award my daughter was receiving at Carnegie Hall so well worth the cost.

As for the pollution, maybe less of a carbon footprint, but that place is dirty as hell in a lot of places. I was amazed how few of trashcans there are on the streets, and the ones you did see were overflowing by 11am anyway.

Two tips if you ever are there...
    1. It will take you twice as long to get anywhere as you assume it will take.
    2. If you are going to sit down and eat with a family of 3, it's more than 50 bucks almost every time.

And a little bragging on my daughter who was one of 1100 kids selected in the US (11 kids in Oklahoma) to have her artwork "honored" at Carnegie Hall through the Junior Writers and Artists Association. This was out of 380,000 nominations this year :)

8423A033-16CF-4377-95C8-FC4D2609BEE8.jpg
  • shoppingmaniac86
    shoppingmaniac86 Posts: 2,067 Member
    You're totally right when I was in Manhattan I was like where are all the bigger people because in Wisconsin they're everywhere lol
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I live in NYC. I see plenty of fat people. Not at the Equinox where I am 6 days a week though.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    boy are my arms tired.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    I had no idea you lived in Oklahoma, definitely not the healthiest state! :wink:

Hope you had a lovely trip!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. Interesting. See my first thought would be tons of fat people because of all the availability of food 24 hours. That's why it's not good to assume things. All those people in one spot might make me a bit nervous. I don't really like people.

It is definitely too many people for this Oklahoma guy. I love the city, but can't spend more than a few days there. That's just based on the people, and has nothing to do with the 1K cash I spent in 5 days just on transportation/food and few odds and ends. I don't know how "regular" people live there at all. It's so damn expensive. Either way, I was there for an award my daughter was receiving at Carnegie Hall so well worth the cost.

As for the pollution, maybe less of a carbon footprint, but that place is dirty as hell in a lot of places. I was amazed how few of trashcans there are on the streets, and the ones you did see were overflowing by 11am anyway.

Two tips if you ever are there...
    1. It will take you twice as long to get anywhere as you assume it will take.
    2. If you are going to sit down and eat with a family of 3, it's more than 50 bucks almost every time.

And a little bragging on my daughter who was one of 1100 kids selected in the US (11 kids in Oklahoma) to have her artwork "honored" at Carnegie Hall through the Junior Writers and Artists Association. This was out of 380,000 nominations this year :)

8423A033-16CF-4377-95C8-FC4D2609BEE8.jpg
    Aww so cute!!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yeah, I notice a difference in average apparent fitness when going from Colorado to someplace like Alabama.

And a huge congrats to your daughter. That's an amazing accomplishment.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    I'm in manhattan all the time for work and noticed the same thing...very few overweight people as everything is 20 blocks away and it's hard to get a cab so you walk everywhere. It's a pain to drive so it's subway or walking.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Times I have gone to NY city I have noticed that... you have to walk everywhere and I love it for that very reason...I live in CO ... so it was great! Now when you go outside of NY to Long Island... they drive everywhere and you will notice the weight starts to go up. I told some relatives when I was there last year I was walking into town... they looked at me like I was nuts?
  • shoppingmaniac86
    shoppingmaniac86 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Y
    lulucitron wrote: »
    I'm in manhattan all the time for work and noticed the same thing...very few overweight people as everything is 20 blocks away and it's hard to get a cab so you walk everywhere. It's a pain to drive so it's subway or walking.

Yeah I was pretty shocked myself but it only makes sense to just walk it everywhere. I love that though
  • Hornsby
    I preferred the subway once I got the hang of it. Made me feel like a local and was the fastest way to get around in my opinion.

I know one thing - I will be making a trip to NYC with my bike and have a few days of cycling through that city. Talk about an adrenaline rush.
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    edited June 2015
    That's just based on the people, and has nothing to do with the 1K cash I spent in 5 days just on transportation/food and few odds and ends. I don't know how "regular" people live there at all. It's so damn expensive. Either way, I was there for an award my daughter was receiving at Carnegie Hall so well worth the cost.

As someone who's moving there this fall, this is what I'm dreading most.

Congrats to your Daughter!
  • blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
    I noticed the same thing when I was in New York two years ago. I didn't even eat that much either. Most Americans live in their cars. They kind of have to because it's unrealistic to have the time to walk or bike to the grocery store 3 miles away. I hate having to get into the car every time I want to go somewhere, but it's what most of us have to do.
    I am moving to Chicago this fall and am very excited about living in a very walkable city! :) It will definitely help me lose more weight.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Congratulations to your daughter. What an achievement!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I live in NYC and there are definitely a large amount of over weight people. But I've lived in the country as well, and you're right, it's not the same. I still believe that the obesity epidemic is more related to the amount of food we eat though.
  • Wolf___
    Wolf___ Posts: 99 Member
    I can't live in a spread out city. I'm in San Diego this week and, to be completely honest, I hate that I have to drive to get anywhere in this area. Once you live in a city like Boston, NY, or DC, you wonder why people would ever live in suburbia or in a spread out city like LA or Chicago
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I preferred the subway once I got the hang of it. Made me feel like a local and was the fastest way to get around in my opinion.

I know one thing - I will be making a trip to NYC with my bike and have a few days of cycling through that city. Talk about an adrenaline rush.

The jobs pay a bit higher because of the cost of living. I don't make very much money at all though and can work it out. It can be a bit tricky.
  • Wolf___
    Wolf___ Posts: 99 Member
    Also, congrats to you and your kid. Its nice to see good parenting working out.