first time at the gym and at a total loss

Options
2»

Replies

• momislosingit84
    momislosingit84 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow ok look I came here looking for advice on what equipment to use at the gym. My diet isn't the issue. My activity and excersise is, I'm an at home mom with 4 kids and spend my days running around after them and joined a gym so that I could have a few hours at night to work out on more then just my home treadmill. I know "calories in calories out" you DO NOT have to sit around stuffing yourself to be fat. I have seen a nutritionalist and my OB with my 2014 pregnancy after I had her went over my diet to try and help and SHE said if you have a slow metabolism and do not eat on a regular basis (and of course I'm not talking about junk, but healthy things) you can slow your metabolism down to the point it clings on to every bit you entake good or bad and no just because I'm overweight it doesn't mean I sit around eating junk, if food was my issue Id say hey I need advice on diets or low carb this or no sugar that or whatever. That's what this site is for. Not to hide behind things. But its not I shouldn't have to defend myself. I wasn't asking about diet I was asking about workouts. Every persons body is differnt and gains/looses weight due to differnt issues and for different reasons. Thanks.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I went onto the website for AF and they link to a pretty interactive page called Anytime Health. It has virtual coaching, a workout planner with videos of how to use the different equipment, etc etc. http://www.anytimehealth.com/

It looks like it should have a lot of the information you're asking about :smile: Be sure to check back in here and let us know how your first day went!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Wow ok look I came here looking for advice on what equipment to use at the gym. My diet isn't the issue. My activity and excersise is, I'm an at home mom with 4 kids and spend my days running around after them and joined a gym so that I could have a few hours at night to work out on more then just my home treadmill. I know "calories in calories out" you DO NOT have to sit around stuffing yourself to be fat. I have seen a nutritionalist and my OB with my 2014 pregnancy after I had her went over my diet to try and help and SHE said if you have a slow metabolism and do not eat on a regular basis (and of course I'm not talking about junk, but healthy things) you can slow your metabolism down to the point it clings on to every bit you entake good or bad and no just because I'm overweight it doesn't mean I sit around eating junk, if food was my issue Id say hey I need advice on diets or low carb this or no sugar that or whatever. That's what this site is for. Not to hide behind things. But its not I shouldn't have to defend myself. I wasn't asking about diet I was asking about workouts. Every persons body is differnt and gains/looses weight due to differnt issues and for different reasons. Thanks.

If you believe you have a slow metabolism, then you should get that checked out. It sounds like the nutritionist is trying to convey "starvation mode" which is largely a myth, and not something a nutritionist is qualified to diagnose as it is.

Nobody said anything about having to stuff your face, or eating "unhealthy" food either. There are plenty of obese people who eat nothing but "healthy" foods. It is simply a matter of eating more than you burn throughout your daily activity, period. That, and it absolutely does not matter if you eat healthy, or eat junk... if you eat too many calories relative to your activity level, you will gain weight regardless of whether you eat nothing but twinkies, or nothing but "clean" foods... whatever those are.

So, if you really believe you have a slow metabolism, get it all tested by a doctor which is licensed, and experienced enough to do so.

However, the current reality is that you're eating too many calories for your daily expenditure.

Them's the breaks.
  • Nuke807
    Nuke807 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com is a GREAT source of information. They have an app that works on your phone and shows you videos of what all of the exercises are.
  • bcruz313
    bcruz313 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So, what is that you are looking for? A ST routine? Other cardio machines to use instead of treadmill? Check out Pinterest. They have a lot of different workouts and routines, you might find one you'd like to try.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Funny how you can come here for advice and be attacked all at the same time. There's a lot of attacking that goes on in these threads...very few people are actually helpful. It's really kind of disappointing if you're new. I guess it's back to that old sayin' : gotta have thick skin...

Geesh! (smh)
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    No one is saying you're stuffing your face with unhealthy food. But if you say you believe you're overweight because your metabolism is slow, expect people to question that. Do get that checked out by a qualified doctor if you think that's the case.

My advice remains the same. A good strength program will do wonders for you. Check out starting strength, stronglifts or NROLFW, they are all great.

Good luck to you!