Low blood sugar- any advice?

Options
trusty48
trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Yesterday I had a bit of a scare- suddenly started feeling really bad then when I got up to find a place to lay down I fainted onto the floor. Apparently, I was out for 3-4 sec and my co-workers called the paramedics.

The paramedics stuck me and hooked me up to machines- then said my blood sugar was 71 and my blood pressure was 103/64. They said both of these were on the low side but not dangerous. They thought I fainted due to some kind of perfect storm of low sugar and pressure.

Since I know people will ask- this all happened about 9:30 am and I had eaten cereal for breakfast at about 5:30. I had not exercised but I was busy and on my feet most of the morning.
Also, I bought a sugar testing kit and made an appointment with my doctor - but have to wait 2 1/2 weeks to get in :(

I've never had a problem with sugar before, so I'm shocked this happened and want advice on how to avoid it and why it happened. Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised you have to wait 2.5 weeks to get in - do they know you passed out and the paramedics came?
  • trusty48
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm surprised you have to wait 2.5 weeks to get in - do they know you passed out and the paramedics came?
    I told them- they said I might get in earlier if there is a cancellation. I'm not sure what to do about it other than wait- this is what "managed care" is like unfortunately.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    trusty48 wrote: »
    Yesterday I had a bit of a scare- suddenly started feeling really bad then when I got up to find a place to lay down I fainted onto the floor. Apparently, I was out for 3-4 sec and my co-workers called the paramedics.

The paramedics stuck me and hooked me up to machines- then said my blood sugar was 71 and my blood pressure was 103/64. They said both of these were on the low side but not dangerous. They thought I fainted due to some kind of perfect storm of low sugar and pressure.

Since I know people will ask- this all happened about 9:30 am and I had eaten cereal for breakfast at about 5:30. I had not exercised but I was busy and on my feet most of the morning.
    Also, I bought a sugar testing kit and made an appointment with my doctor - but have to wait 2 1/2 weeks to get in :(

I've never had a problem with sugar before, so I'm shocked this happened and want advice on how to avoid it and why it happened. Any help is appreciated!

Uhhh...those are normal numbers for me. My fasting blood sugar and BP are like that pretty much all the time.

There are many, many reasons for fainting, and sometimes it is just a one-time thing. If your fainting spell was under a minute, it may not be an indicator of anything serious, and it doesn't really even warrant calling 911. Eat, stay hydrated, take it easy and follow up with your doctor...but don't panic!

If you do have a blood sugar issue, you will want to see an endocrinologist and follow instructions from that doctor. Checking your blood sugar is probably overkill, but it won't hurt. I wouldn't worry unless you start seeing numbers in the 50s or lower.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You can pick up glucose tabs from any pharmacy without a prescription. Carry those with you everywhere and perhaps a protein bar as well. The first aid treatment for someone with low blood sugar or a fainting diabetic is to feed them! So make it easy. Carry the tabs on your person. The "cure" is nearly instantaneous by the way.

If I were you I'd start eating like a diabetic. Your breakfast can be improved with a little protein, and have a mid-morning and afternoon snack ready. They don't have to be big snacks; 100-150 calories each are just fine. Other than bedtime, try not to go more than three hours without having something to eat.

For low blood pressure, and I suffered from this too until I negotiated my way off the meds, get up from your desk slowly to give your body time to normalize.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If it's a one time thing, I wouldn't worry very much. If all you had was cereal four hours previously, and were moving around most of the time, I'm not surprised your blood sugar was a bit low. My blood pressure is normally right where yours was measured (100/60 or so) and, when I passed out once a couple of years ago, my doctor was completely unconcerned. It hasn't happened again so in my case he was right. It was a one time fluke.

So... deep breath. The easiest way to avoid having it happen again is probably going to be eating more often than once every four hours and eating something more substantial than a bowl of cereal as your first meal. If the cereal was mostly carbs, you'd probably burned through it awhile before and then the inevitable sugar crash followed. Add some protein, eat something two or three hours later and it shouldn't be a future problem.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Normal range for fasting blood sugar is 70-120. (According to Kaiser, which is where I have my insurance.)

I have hypoglycemia and am careful (usually) to eat frequently, and avoid simple carb meals. If I don't I feel like crap and pay the price.

If I feel icky in the morning, I have 4 oz of fruit juice.
  • azulvioleta6
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    If it's a one time thing, I wouldn't worry very much. If all you had was cereal four hours previously, and were moving around most of the time, I'm not surprised your blood sugar was a bit low.

Yep. It's also summer. It's hot and easy to get dehydrated. Combine all of those elements, stand up a little too fast and BOOM!

I'm from a family of fainters, so this kind of thing doesn't shock me too much. I remember being at an outdoor party in the summer once and my sister fainted. Everyone was kind of shocked that my mother (a doctor) was completely nonplussed. She was like "Oh, that is from her FATHER'S side. It happens."
  • trusty48
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Not sure exactly what happened- 71 isn't considered a low blood sugar number. Yet I was on the floor, sweating profusely and very disoriented. I was told that I was as white as a sheet and that my eyes were dilated.

My understanding is that these were symptoms of low sugar but I'm still very confused about it. Especially since I've never had a sugar problem before.
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I can't do cereal for breakfast (unless we're talking about whole grain oats with nuts and seeds and other slow-digesting things) or I will end up in the exact same place you were. Since I've switched to focus on really good grains or protein (like hard boiled eggs, turkey sausages, etc) I haven't had a problem.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    That's why you should see your doctor and not get medical advice from paramedics.

It was probably a combination of several small things and not only a blood sugar issue. There are lots of explanations, including quite harmless ones such as vasovagal syncope.

Carrying a piece of candy and a protein bar is a good plan. Stay hydrated too!
  • trusty48
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    If it's a one time thing, I wouldn't worry very much. If all you had was cereal four hours previously, and were moving around most of the time, I'm not surprised your blood sugar was a bit low. My blood pressure is normally right where yours was measured (100/60 or so) and, when I passed out once a couple of years ago, my doctor was completely unconcerned. It hasn't happened again so in my case he was right. It was a one time fluke.

So... deep breath. The easiest way to avoid having it happen again is probably going to be eating more often than once every four hours and eating something more substantial than a bowl of cereal as your first meal. If the cereal was mostly carbs, you'd probably burned through it awhile before and then the inevitable sugar crash followed. Add some protein, eat something two or three hours later and it shouldn't be a future problem.
    Yes- this is what I'm doing now. Also got some hard candies to put in my purse for emergencies. My new mantra- always keep a snack on hand!

Really hope that this was a one-time thing.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Not sure exactly what happened- 71 isn't considered a low blood sugar number. Yet I was on the floor, sweating profusely and very disoriented. I was told that I was as white as a sheet and that my eyes were dilated.

My understanding is that these were symptoms of low sugar but I'm still very confused about it. Especially since I've never had a sugar problem before.

I have type 1 diabetes and this may or may not have been a low blood sugar. When you go too low your liver should release glucagon which raises your blood sugar. It's a nice hormone balancing act our bodies have (and doesn't always work like that with diabetics...). It's possible that your blood sugar was much lower than 71 and then rebounded from glucagon by the time the paramedics checked you. It's good you're going to the dr. Low blood sugar like that can be a precursor to diabetes.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Sorry but a blood sugar level of 71 is NOT low blood sugar. That is perfectly normal. I can assure you you did not faint because of low blood sugar. I have chronic severe hypoglycemia and drop into the 20s on a daily basis.

It is close to impossible to faint from low blood sugar until you are below 30 mg/dL. So you will definitely not pass out from a reading of 71.

Chances are you fainted because you were dehydrated.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    It's good you will be seeing a physician, is all I can say - but with regard to breakfast, which may or may not be related to why you fainted, I would suggest getting 20 g of protein in with that cereal. I think it will hold you better.
  • trusty48
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Are you pregnant?

Haha- not pregnant. In fact, I just started my period. Not sure if that was a factor or not.

As far as being dehydrated- I wasn't. I had a big cup of tea about 30 min before this happened. After doing more research I'm wondering if it was the vasovagal syncope someone mentioned earlier.
  • ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had blood sugar crashes so frequently that I went to my doctor. She determined that my usual breakfast items (bagels, oatmeal, and Cheerios) were too carb-based and I needed more protein in the morning. Some people think of oatmeal or the protein from the milk in cereal as enough to make those foods good for breakfast, but if you're PRONE to blood sugar spikes and crashes, they're not balanced enough. I switched to nuts/blueberries, eggs, or precooked shrimp/avocado (don't laugh it's amazing and takes three minutes in the morning to cut up and eat) and the crashes stopped. The doctor said something else, too - she predicted (correctly) that I wouldn't crash if I skipped breakfast entirely. It's the carb load spiking blood sugar that leads to the crash. By not spiking the blood in the first place, you won't crash. I hope that helps while you wait for your appointment!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

No worries, according to the low carbers here you can sustain and thrive on a blood sugar level of 0
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

No worries, according to the low carbers here you can sustain and thrive on a blood sugar level of 0

I guarantee that nobody has ever actually said that. You do know that blood sugar and carb intake are ENTIRELY different things, right?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

I guarantee that nobody has ever actually said that. You do know that blood sugar and carb intake are ENTIRELY different things, right?

Actually I saw a low carber today claim "the body has no need for carbs", you know glucose is a carb, right? So it appears that someone said exactly that