On a diet break, weight gain or just fluid retention - cracked ribs

Options
So I hit 30lbs weight loss on my 30th Birthday 10 days ago (I lost 3lbs before joining MFP) so decided it was time for a diet break, naturally I ate quite a lot over my birthday weekend but was still 1500 under my net maintenance level. I am set at sedentary but do at least 7000 steps a day aswell as body pump and step aerobics classes.

After my birthday weekend I had put on 4lbs overnight due to sodium laden food which then dropped off over night on the Tuesday then disaster hit.....I had an accident with the horses where I was trampled resulting in cracked ribs and whiplash. So no exercise other than walking (I have to walk 2 miles to work and 2 miles back and try to keep as active as possible)

I comfort ate slightly for a few days due to diazepam giving me the horrendous munchies but still remained 1500 calories under my maintenance amount, it was seriously like being stoned. I am still using NASIDS naproxen and paracetamol but I am off the diazepam now.

Weighed myself today after trying to keep low sodium for a couple of days and I am still 1lb heavier than 10 days ago, I am drinking as much as I usually do (2 litres) but my urine seems darker, so is it possible my body is retaining fluid for my injury? or have I really put a 1lb on in 10 days despite trying to be good and avoid too much comfort eating?

I'm trying not to stress about it and let my body heal as I feel I need the diet break to let my body heal, but I feel it is a huge set back. I was hoping to go back to step aerobics this week for at least 1 class but I saw the doctor yesterday who advised another week off due to the twisting required.

Replies

• runrascal
    runrascal Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You know 1lb could easily be just a daily fluctuation. Keep at the diet though, your body doesn't need huge calories to fix these injuries, just make sure you keep your protein intake where it should be. If you have a lot of inflammation around the injury i.e. noticeable swelling, then yes there will be extra fluid in there. But don't let being injured turn into a reason to gain weight, exercise doesn't matter per se, keeping your calorie deficit does.
  • runrascal
    Options
    runrascal wrote: »
    You know 1lb could easily be just a daily fluctuation. Keep at the diet though, your body doesn't need huge calories to fix these injuries, just make sure you keep your protein intake where it should be. If you have a lot of inflammation around the injury i.e. noticeable swelling, then yes there will be extra fluid in there. But don't let being injured turn into a reason to gain weight, exercise doesn't matter per se, keeping your calorie deficit does.

And sorry, I meant to start out by saying well done for the mega weight loss you have achieved :)
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you, to be honest I am taking a diet break so aiming just to maintain at the moment until I feel better BUT still at a deficit during the week. I am amazed at my will power lol I just wanted a fat burger and chips last night but cooked salmon and jacket potato.

It is much easier to be strong now the diazepam has stopped and I don't feel stoned anymore x
  • runrascal
    Options
    B)
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    lisaw19855 wrote: »
    Thank you, to be honest I am taking a diet break so aiming just to maintain at the moment until I feel better BUT still at a deficit during the week. I am amazed at my will power lol I just wanted a fat burger and chips last night but cooked salmon and jacket potato.

It is much easier to be strong now the diazepam has stopped and I don't feel stoned anymore x

Considering the injury, I'd say you probably have a good bit of swelling and muscle repair going on inside. Don't worry about that one pound--it's likely to be fluid, and even if it isn't ALL fluid, you can take it off again quite soon now that you're off of the diazepam. :)
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hoping it is fluid but if not I suppose 1lb is no big deal and once back eating at or under my deficit and exercising it will fall off through shock to my body lol.
    I know from exercising that sore muscles can carry a good few lbs of fluid when I increase weights or do something new x