Recommend a lifting program other than Stronglifts 5X5?

Options
2»

Replies

• CrumCPT
    CrumCPT Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Id go 531 and throw in accessory work that you enjoy.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    PPLPPLrest

Beginner bodybuilding program split, Push/Pull/Legs/Push/Pull/Legs/Rest. For those who have time to work out 6x a week. I prefer full body strength programs 3x a week, but I hear good things about this.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Muscle Fitness has an online body type quiz

It is a good starting point.

When you know your body type it is easier to select a good workout plan.

And as luck would have it, they have lots of workout plans!

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    There is a 531 beginner program. Here's a calculator that you can use to see how it would look for you. You can check out a bunch of other variations of 531 there too.

I like Wendler's programming because of the slow steady progress. If you decide to go with it, I would highly recommend reading his books.

@jemhh and OP: Grab a copy of Jim's "Beyond 5/3/1" book if you like 5/3/1 or in the OP's case want to try something new. I saw the article that jemhh posted and it's a little old, yet still very good. Jim has introduced some new stuff and there's a template in "Beyond 5/3/1" called "5's Progression". Combine that with Joker sets and First Set Last, also in Beyond 5/3/1, and you have a very well rounded training program that he actually recommends for "beginners."

• erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    There is a 531 beginner program. Here's a calculator that you can use to see how it would look for you. You can check out a bunch of other variations of 531 there too.

I like Wendler's programming because of the slow steady progress. If you decide to go with it, I would highly recommend reading his books.

5/3/1 Definitely! Or, if you actually are looking at the site for StrongLifts you will see he clearly states that after you hit a wall, you should switch over to MadCow StrongLifts(slower progression). I did 5/3/1 to start which is a super slow progression, but even I hit a wall so I researched how to build muscle endurance and switched to MadCow. Either way I really like both programs. StrongLifts is not meant to be sustainable forever. It is meant to get you up to speed and to an intermediate stand point. I think your progress is awesome. Congratulations on the changes you've made with your body. You must be very proud!
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I will second Allpro's routine. I am on cycle 6, and have definitely seen results. It has a different rep scheme and the weight comes on slower than the Stronglifts. rep ranges are 8-12 run on 5 week cycles. Only thing missing is the deadlifts on this routine and I substitute medium day squats for a deadlift day so I still get them in once a week and I run the deadlifts doing 1 x 5 and adding weight weekly. The other 2 lifting days I do SLDL's that are recommended with the program.

I plan on running 5/3/1 after a year of Allpro, as I have own the book and have heard good things about Wendler's program as well.

Greyskull Linear Progression might be another one you want to look at.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    I will second Allpro's routine. I am on cycle 6, and have definitely seen results. It has a different rep scheme and the weight comes on slower than the Stronglifts. rep ranges are 8-12 run on 5 week cycles. Only thing missing is the deadlifts on this routine and I substitute medium day squats for a deadlift day so I still get them in once a week and I run the deadlifts doing 1 x 5 and adding weight weekly. The other 2 lifting days I do SLDL's that are recommended with the program.

I plan on running 5/3/1 after a year of Allpro, as I have own the book and have heard good things about Wendler's program as well.

I'm glad you posted about the deadlifts. If someone had the goal of developing a strong deadlift I would certainly sub in the deadlift into the program. Being that it's primarily a hypertrophy routine for beginners the SLDL (or RDL) is arguably a better choice than conventionals.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »

I'm glad you posted about the deadlifts. If someone had the goal of developing a strong deadlift I would certainly sub in the deadlift into the program. Being that it's primarily a hypertrophy routine for beginners the SLDL (or RDL) is arguably a better choice than conventionals.

Agreed, my knees are shot from playing BB and motorcycle wrecks, squatting 3 days a week just did not work for me. I wanted to add the deadlifts because I like the lift and I missed not doing them. The program the way it is written works just fine when followed to the letter and the SLDL that is advised works the posterior chain and hamstrings extremely well.

I have only run the deads for a cycle. It will remain to be seen how long I can progress on squats and deads with a days rest. I run 2 heavy days on squats with deads smashed in the middle, so at some point I will probably need to back off on deads to keep progressing on squats.

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I am thinking AllPro's or 5-3-1. I have read up on them and a nice slow progression sounds like just what I need.

Am I correct that in AllPro's the warm ups are included (Set 1 and 2) and in 3-2-1 you would add warm up sets to the program?

I am thinking about how many plate changes per workout day. I know that sounds trivial but my rig is in a fairly confined area so it is a consideration. If I understand correctly AllPro's has you changing plates 21 times per workout.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I am thinking AllPro's or 5-3-1. I have read up on them and a nice slow progression sounds like just what I need.

Am I correct that in AllPro's the warm ups are included (Set 1 and 2) and in 3-2-1 you would add warm up sets to the program?

I am thinking about how many plate changes per workout day. I know that sounds trivial but my rig is in a fairly confined area so it is a consideration. If I understand correctly AllPro's has you changing plates 21 times per workout.

If you look at the 531 calculator it will show you the warmup sets. For your main compound lifts, you'll have 3 warmup sets and then 3 working sets. Each warmup and working set is at a different weight so you change the weight 6 times per exercise.

It's been a bit since I ran AllPro's but you do have warmup sets for the first few exercises too. Your 2 working sets are at the same weight though. Read through this for more info: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160947761
  • DvlDwnInGA
    Options
    Warm ups are included in sets. You do 2 warm up sets on the big lifts, Bench press, Squats, and Bent Rows, then you do 2 work sets. On the other lifts you do 2 work sets. I have never counted how many times I change plates, that is just extra lifting that I count as "working out" :)