food ideas!

Options
CasieSJ
CasieSJ Posts: 44 Member
I need healthy, fast meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks.
I'm new to eating healthy and wanted to try stuff out.

Replies

• CasieSJ
    Options
    Anyone?!
  • mforrestall
    mforrestall Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie for breakfast on work mornings. Protein powder, oats, banana and whatever other fruit sounds appealing that week (sometimes fresh, sometimes frozen). Lunch is usually leftovers of dinner. Dinner is different every day, but is usually some variation of meat, vegetable and carb. Snacks are usually Greek yogurt, nuts, string cheese and veges.
  • CasieSJ
    Options
    Thank you. I have never ate healty before (sounds so bad!) So I need some variation ideas.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    try skinnytaste.com they have great recipes
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What does "healthy" mean to you?

What does your normal diet look like?
  • amo314
    amo314 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat egg white sandwiches in the morning. The egg takes just a couple of minutes and I can pack lunch while it's cooking...throw a piece of cheese and some hot sauce on it and it's delicious. For lunch I eat a lot of salads with hummus as dressing. Oatmeal is good, too. Very filling. Don't use a packet, it has too much sugar and salt. Just make it yourself and add some cinnamon or vanilla. Using different spices on chicken and bake it. Really, just start googling healthy recipes. You'll start to get lots of ideas.
  • CasieSJ
    Options
    Fruits and vegatables. Nothing with lots of butter and things like that. I was going to go buy those packaged meals that are supposed to be healthy
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I usually have eggs with turkey bacon on multigrain light bread. Lunch will usually be a protein shake with protein powder, peanut butter, almond milk and a banana. Dinner is usually a lean meat like chicken or ground turkey or fish or shrimp with a carb like brown rice or whole wheat couscous and a vegetable. For snacks I usually have almonds, carrots/celery with hummus, greek yogurt (which is very good when you put in the freezer for about an hour), string cheese, etc.
  • SolitudesMuse
    SolitudesMuse Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Packaged meals are going to be chock full of sodium no matter how low in cals and fat they might be... even a lot of the organic ones. I tend to cook a meal and then freeze it in individual portions which makes it easy to quickly microwave either at work for lunch or at home after a long day. That was probably the easiest way to transition into "healthy" eating for me. Even if it was a meal that was higher in fat/cals, a single frozen serving with some veggies got me my "fix" and then I'd go back to my healthier frozen servings.
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat my breakfast at work, flax bread one slice w/naturally more pb, sometimes with a half banana, coffee with creamer, then a couple of hours later, scramble two eggs with frozen vegetables (I buy the stirfry mix) so yummy!. i'll make a package of turkey sausage the night before and portion out two pieces each morning. for lunch i'll grill chicken breasts to last me 3 days, I slice it really thin and put it on those salad kits you buy for 2 for $5, there's kale kits, Asian kit, I just avoid the iceberg ones. you can also make your own with romaine lettuce, avocado, boiled eggs, chicken. just be careful with the dressing, either half or use balsamic vinegar and olive oil. at 4 oclock I have a fage greek yogurt or an apple/orange.
    meat and vegetables for dinner. if I skip that 4:00 snack I am ravenous so it helps me out.
  • amyj514
    amyj514 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I go through phases, but some favorite bfasts are smoothies that usually start with 1/4-1/3 c plain yog, 1 froz banana, then depending on my mood maybe 1/4 c oj, 1/4 c fresh or frozen fruit, cocoa pwdr, cinn, etc and 5 ice cubes in a blender. I mix and match and end up with different smoothie flavors all the time! Also, I am a big oatmeal eater. Whole rolled are my favorite, usually sweet, sometimes savory. Sometimes I go plain-jane brown sugar and cinn, sometimes I cook raisins, apples, blueberries, or strawberries in it. I've even stuck Ovaltine in my oatmeal. Ooh, latest favorite is cinn raisin oatmeal with a little milk, whipped cream, and sprinkles! Also like fresh blueberries cooked in with sunflower seeds sprinkled on top. Yum! Try plain oats with a fried dippy egg, green onions, and soy sauce. YUM! I also am a big cottage cheese fan. Goes very well with bananas, also add berries or applesauce, maybe some cinn and honey. Every once in a while I'll do a slice of toast with a fried egg, sliced avocado, and sriracha. I've piled scrambled eggs and salsa on a whole wheat hot dog roll, that was good. Add jalapenos. I get so excited about food, I could go on all day. And this is just bfast!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    CasieSJ wrote: »
    Fruits and vegatables. Nothing with lots of butter and things like that. I was going to go buy those packaged meals that are supposed to be healthy

What's wrong with butter? (nothing!)

I'd suggest buying fresh and making from scratch will be healthier than a packaged meal - these usually come with unnecessary additives, preservatives and excessive sodium. Learn to prepare meals in bulk that you can freeze to save time, especially if you have a bub.

I base my main meals around protein, fresh vegies and some fruit, as well as good Fats. Fat is vital for good health, please don't limit it! (butter, coconut oil, nuts seeds and nut butter, extra Virginia olive oil, avocado, oily fish are all good options!)
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What I eat overall varies. Lately I've been doing recipes that I make once and eat throughout the week for breakfast. You can make little omelettes in a muffin tin or breakfast muffins (refrigerator biscuit dough with egg mixture on top baked), oatmeal singles, the possibilities are endless. Lunches for me are usually sandwiches with fruit and veggie. Dinners are whatever my mom or I makes. Check out Hungry Girl (although many of her recipes are hit or miss), Skinny Taste, and Emily Bites. For me I try not to go too diety. I have a chocolate allowance each day to keep me sane. Some days I have snack some day I don't. It all depends on how hungry I am that day. When I do have snack it varies.