HELP! I've stopped losing weight but not much change in diet/exercise.

Options
Hello everyone..

I need some advice.

When I first started mfp I was 150ish lbs..I am now 136lbs and my lowest (beginning of the year) was 126lbs. I've had a two week holiday which is when I gained the 10lbs.

My weight has been very up and down the last year and doesn't seem to go any lower than 126. My goal weight is 115lbs/120lbs - I am 5ft 2". Is this goal even possible!? I'm starting to lose intrerest!

My weekly regime is as below:

Work Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm.
Breakfast: Bowl of granola and milk, and a coffee or green tea
Lunch: Cous-cous or a tin of soup
Tea: is just normal meals but have substitued chips for salad. sou could be pizza and salad or lasagne etc.
Snack: a banana or two a day.
Drinks: I drink alot of water throughout the day.

Exercise:
Spinning: Tuesdays and Thursdays
Running: Mon,Weds and Fridays.

I am quitting the gym, due to funds and boredom, which means I won't be able to do spinning, so I will be going for a cycle for an hour on tuesdays and fridays and maybe sat or sunday.

I feel like I cannot do anymore exercise due to work and I feel liek I can't eat any less, but I'm not losing weight! I've thought about supplements, but no idea what works!

I need help!

Thanks

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You listing your food that way really doesn't help us to help you. One bowl of granola could be 200 calories or 400 calories.
    Do you weigh and log your food? If so can you open your diary so that people can help you?

EDIT- Your diary is blank, are you tracking what you eat somewhere else?
  • EmmaFowle
    EmmaFowle Posts: 18 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi, I used to track my food, but found I was just tracking the same or slightly different every day. It wasn't helping me at all, it just took up alot of my day. Sorry I know that doesn't help! I do know that if I eat any less I'll be hungry all the time.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    EmmaFowle wrote: »
    Hi, I used to track my food, but found I was just tracking the same or slightly different every day. It wasn't helping me at all, it just took up alot of my day. Sorry I know that doesn't help! I do know that if I eat any less I'll be hungry all the time.

Then it sounds like you have found the weight where you have settled with your current lifestyle, since it looks like you are eating at maintenance for your current weight.
    Either you accept this and happy where you are, or try to figure out how you can eat less calories. Smaller portions? Different foods? And would this be sustainable on the long run for you? The goal you mention is definitely reasonable for your height, but whether you can reach and maintain at this weight, it is up to you and whether the changes this requires are worth it, for you.
  • EmmaFowle
    edited June 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Then it sounds like you have found the weight where you have settled with your current lifestyle, since it looks like you are eating at maintenance for your current weight.
    Either you accept this and happy where you are, or try to figure out how you can eat less calories. Smaller portions? Different foods? And would this be sustainable on the long run for you?

That's the problem - I'm not happy at all - But I cannot eat less .. I'll be eating nothing if I eat less and constantly hungry! :( I don't reach 1500calories a day some days!

I tried eating less with smaller portions at tea which I have continued with but it hasn't helped.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If the weight isn't coming off you are consuming too many calories. Weighing and logging everything is the only way to be sure. There is no quick fix or easy answer.

I would adjust what I was eating if I was you - you could get a lot more food for your calories with smarter choices.

Hope that helps! :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Either you accept this and happy where you are, or try to figure out how you can eat less calories. Smaller portions? Different foods? And would this be sustainable on the long run for you?

That's the problem - I'm not happy at all - But I cannot eat less .. I'll be eating nothing if I eat less and constantly hungry! :( I don't reach 1500calories a day some days!

You are maintaining at around 130 lbs from what you mention.
    Assuming on average 4 hours of exercise per week, this means you are actually eating around 1800 calories per day on average: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    Underestimating by 300-400 calories is not at all unusual.
    If you feel hungry eating less, then either it is a matter of changing what you eat, or accepting your current weight.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    How do you know you are eating less than 1500 calories a day if you aren't logging?
    You need to get back to the basics of weight loss. Start logging your food again.
  • EmmaFowle
    Options
    I log it in my head and I used to log food and it was pretty much the same everyday and nothing has changed. it's also difficult to log tea time meals as they are often made from scratch so would take forever to log all the ingredients.
  • Krystle1984
    Options

I tried eating less with smaller portions at tea which I have continued with but it hasn't helped.

You are almost certainly eating more than 1500 calories. You are looking at approximately 250 just for the 2 bananas. The rest of your diet seems quite carb heavy and whilst there is nothing wrong with carbs they do add calories quickly. Try and get more protein and healthy fats in your diet - they'll make you feel fuller. Plenty of vegetables too. They're filling and relatively low in calories.
  • Krystle1984
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I log it in my head and I used to log food and it was pretty much the same everyday and nothing has changed. it's also difficult to log tea time meals as they are often made from scratch so would take forever to log all the ingredients.

You can use the recipe builder on here to workout calories in homemade meals. Then they're saved ready for next time.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Your head doesn't know if that granola is 30g or 40g and there are big calorie differences between the 2. Life is all about choices, you can choice to change nothing and stay as you are or you can change things.
  • EmmaFowle
    Options

You can use the recipe builder on here to workout calories in homemade meals. Then they're saved ready for next time.

Thanks Krystie. I think I'm going to have a different fruit instead of banana. And go down to smaller portions for tea time meals. And instead of soup for lunch, have a salad.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    MFP has a recipe builder, so you can create all your meals and then quickly add them. It may take some time to do this to start with but once it's done it is done.
    It now has the added function of being able to be pointed to a website and automatically pick up the ingredients.

At the end of the day, you are not losing weight, this means that you are eating more than you are burning. If you want to understand why then you need to go back to actually weighing and logging everything you are eating.

No one can help you with your question because the core information just isn't there. No one, including yourself knows how many calories you are eating on a daily basis. The only bit of information is that you have probably naturally found your maintenance intake.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Ok firstly you need to weigh and log EVERYTHING you are eating. With such a small amount left to lose your logging needs to be even more accurate... If you are serious about shifting the weight then you need to make the time to log your food. Use the Recipe Builder and a digital scale. Be accurate and stick to your calories based on a .5lb a week loss. Do this for 4 weeks and then re-assess depending on your results. USE YOUR FOOD DIARY FOR EVERYTHING YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH...
  • Hotsauce16
    Hotsauce16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey there Emma, I'm sorry that you are so frustrated with your progress. However, since you are not happy where you are at, it seems like losing more weight would be an appealing option for you. Weighing food with a digital scale is the surest way to ensure accuracy. Our eyes constantly betray us and even though in the past you have noticed that daily logins were similar, the fact that you have seen no weight loss is probably due to inaccuracy with counting. The closer you get to your goal, the more tedious you will need to be until you reach that goal. So don't give up, but track your food accurately everyday, and if you don't see any results, explore another option. You are about 20lbs from your goal weight, and that is very close. Also granola, lasagna, certain soups and salads can definitely rack up the calories depending on how they are prepared and depending on the amount that you have. Higher protein meals will help in the hunger department, and logging will also help you to see what would be your lean protein options so that you could stretch your food a bit further, if need be. ;)
  • EmmaFowle
    Options
    So how does it work with mfp. I always get confused. As long as my calorie intake is lower or the same as what is recommended I'm fine. So if I got over on food but the exercise and it goes below the calories I'm fine?

For example:
    Start the day with 1200 calories but I eat 1250 calories. Then go for a run and burn 200 calories meaning it'll work out below the 1200 starting point.. is this ok?

Thanks
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    So how does it work with mfp. I always get confused. As long as my calorie intake is lower or the same as what is recommended I'm fine. So if I got over on food but the exercise and it goes below the calories I'm fine?

For example:
    Start the day with 1200 calories but I eat 1250 calories. Then go for a run and burn 200 calories meaning it'll work out below the 1200 starting point.. is this ok?

Thanks

Yes, that's fine. You're meant to eat your exercise calories back. Though don't go too far below your calorie recommendation - remember, it's a goal, not a limit!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You have no idea how many calories you are really eating because you don't weigh your food. So, start there.

And a bowl of granola for breakfast = a lot of calories for something that isn't filling at all. Switch to eggs or oatmeal. Couscous = same. Lots of calories and not filling. Switch to a big plate of veggies and a small potato.

Bananas are great but a lot of calories as well... Limit to one a day and maybe have an apple instead of the other one.

Basically you are probably eating more than you think but mostly not making good choices, with high calorie foods that don't provide much satiety. Eat more protein, fat, and fiber.
  • EmmaFowle
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You have no idea how many calories you are really eating because you don't weigh your food. So, start there.

And a bowl of granola for breakfast = a lot of calories for something that isn't filling at all. Switch to eggs or oatmeal. Couscous = same. Lots of calories and not filling. Switch to a big plate of veggies and a small potato.

Bananas are great but a lot of calories as well... Limit to one a day and maybe have an apple instead of the other one.

Basically you are probably eating more than you think but mostly not making good choices, with high calorie foods that don't provide much satiety. Eat more protein, fat, and fiber.

That's already been established thanks!
  • EmmaFowle
    edited June 2015
    Options

For example:

Thanks

Yes, that's fine. You're meant to eat your exercise calories back. Though don't go too far below your calorie recommendation - remember, it's a goal, not a limit!