Activity level

Options
so I've been wondering...if we set our activity level for our goal calories, then arent our calories burned from workouts technically already included in our calorie goal?

So if we add our calories from working out seperately , isn't that like counting the burned calories twice?

Apologize in advance if this doesn't make sense but I can't think of how else to explain it!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So I think what you're asking is something like this:

If I work a desk job and don't really move around much during the day (which is really a 'sedentary' lifestyle) but I also work out every day, can I just choose 'moderately active' and not mess with adding back exercise calories?

If so, then the answer is yes...you're basically using a TDEE method of calorie counting vs. NEAT (which is the way MFP is designed to work).

If I'm misunderstanding, apologies - please explain further.
  • 124mmk
    124mmk Posts: 12 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Nope you understand exactly what I mean! that's perfect! Thanks a lot!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    124mmk wrote: »
    Nope you understand exactly what I mean! that's perfect! Thanks a lot!

No prob...just be sure to monitor progress after a few weeks. The calculated numbers (under any method really) are just estimates, so you may need to tweak your goal up or down a hundred calories or two to align results with your goals.
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Wow, so now I'm confuse. I have setup my activity level at Active because even though I work 8 hours at a desk when I get home I weight train and cardio certain days of the week and on the other days I run for cardio exercise. Normally take one day off.