Help / advice

so, I'm a 47 year old bloke and I have taken to loosing weight, in need to shed around 3stone. I joined a gym and have been going 5 months or so, and two of those interval training. I have managed to shift 1.5 stone, but, it seems loosing has stopped. My clothes fit well, I am feeling fitter and getting some definition, but I really want to shift more weight. My eating is healthy, and if I have a treat, it's tracked on here. I know the scale is not the only measure, but I'm getting frustrated with staying the same weight. Any similar experience out there? Any advice?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    so, I'm a 47 year old bloke and I have taken to loosing weight, in need to shed around 3stone. I joined a gym and have been going 5 months or so, and two of those interval training. I have managed to shift 1.5 stone, but, it seems loosing has stopped. My clothes fit well, I am feeling fitter and getting some definition, but I really want to shift more weight. My eating is healthy, and if I have a treat, it's tracked on here. I know the scale is not the only measure, but I'm getting frustrated with staying the same weight. Any similar experience out there? Any advice?

What is your daily calorie goal, and are you hitting it?

Exercise is fantastic, but getting diet down (more than just "healthy") is going to be the prime factor in weight loss.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Have you reduced your calories more since losing the initial weight? That is something that can slow/stall your weight loss.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    It's hard to answer these kinds of posts without more details. How long has it been since you last saw a drop on the scale? If it's only been a few weeks, then it's possible that it's just a natural stall and will go away on its own.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

Other than that, the most common problems we see come from underestimating calories eaten and overestimating calories burned.

Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If that's the case for you, you may need to adjust your calories a little lower until you start losing again.
  • QuintinVAbrams
    QuintinVAbrams Posts: 16 Member
    I'm stuck at 18 stone for roughly 3 weeks. I wear a fit bit so use that for activity monitoring and of course it puts extra calories on my daily allowance. I'm eating around 2000 calls per day. I tend not to dip into additional calories
  • DesiraeLynn24
    DesiraeLynn24 Posts: 12 Member
    Without being to see your stats (weight, height, nutritional needs and body fat) Here are some general tips when a plateau has been reached:

Kitchen:
    Try to recalculate your nutritional needs every 1-2 weeks based on your weight (ideally knowing your BF% as well)
    Take an honest eval of your daily foods (can any carbs be substituted for healthier ones white vs brown)
    Are you having a treat meal or day perhaps too often
    Are you drinking enough water
    Are you eating to keep your metabolism up (Ideally every 2-3 hours)

Training:
    Have you introduced cardio (HIIT or other kinds)
    If you have try to increase the number of times a week you do cardio
    Try to mix up your lifting schedule (Your body will get used to a routine and slow progression)
    Or you may want to start steadily increasing weight

BodyBuilding.com has tons of free training plans to change up your training
  • QuintinVAbrams
    Thanks. I wander if my goals are correct in my fitness pal. I have an office job, so assume that makes me generally sedentary, but with gymn 2-3 times per week, does that change it to light active or still sedentary? I am doing cardio at the gymn as well as interval training. I'm toning not building.
  • juggernaut1974
    Without being to see your stats (weight, height, nutritional needs and body fat) Here are some general tips when a plateau has been reached:

Kitchen:
    Try to recalculate your nutritional needs every 1-2 weeks based on your weight (ideally knowing your BF% as well)
    Take an honest eval of your daily foods (can any carbs be substituted for healthier ones white vs brown)
    Are you having a treat meal or day perhaps too often
    Are you drinking enough water
    Are you eating to keep your metabolism up (Ideally every 2-3 hours)

Training:
    Have you introduced cardio (HIIT or other kinds)
    If you have try to increase the number of times a week you do cardio
    Try to mix up your lifting schedule (Your body will get used to a routine and slow progression)
    Or you may want to start steadily increasing weight

BodyBuilding.com has tons of free training plans to change up your training

Most of the above is nonsense. Sorry.

To the OP you say you're eating "around" 2000 calories. Do you weigh/measure and log everything? Estimating calories often means you're eating a lot more than you think

As 47 yo male, at your size 2000 calories seems like a reasonable goal. If you're not seeing progress, drop it 100 or 200 calories and re-assess after a few more weeks.
  • QuintinVAbrams
    I measure and scan everything. When it come to receiving advice I look at everyone's comments, for which I am really grateful, then I take on board what looks right to me. Deisera did bring up an interesting point about drinking enough water, which I don't.
  • diannethegeek
    I measure and scan everything. When it come to receiving advice I look at everyone's comments, for which I am really grateful, then I take on board what looks right to me. Deisera did bring up an interesting point about drinking enough water, which I don't.

I just want to check that when you scan barcodes you're still double-checking the entries that the app brings up, right? I love the barcode scanner and I use it all the time, but it's prone to the same inaccuracies that the rest of the user-entered entries tend to have.

Additionally, even with prepackaged foods, weighing tends to be more accurate than measuring. Maybe you don't want to do that, and that's fine, but you may have to adjust your calories to fit if you're unintentionally eating more than expected.

• paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    I heard you should take measurements of your body, sometimes you might not lose weight but you could be losing inches. since you said your clothes are fitting better
  • diannethegeek
    Thanks. I wander if my goals are correct in my fitness pal. I have an office job, so assume that makes me generally sedentary, but with gymn 2-3 times per week, does that change it to light active or still sedentary? I am doing cardio at the gymn as well as interval training. I'm toning not building.

You can handle this one of two ways, and both should be about equal in terms of effectiveness. You can keep your activity level set to sedentary and log your workouts separately. Or you can include your workouts in your activity level, bumping it up to lightly active, and not log workouts. It should workout to about the same number of calories either way, it's just that one takes your workout into account up front and one doesn't.

• diannethegeek
    I'm stuck at 18 stone for roughly 3 weeks. I wear a fit bit so use that for activity monitoring and of course it puts extra calories on my daily allowance. I'm eating around 2000 calls per day. I tend not to dip into additional calories

Three weeks is still within the margin for a natural stall. If you've recently increased your exercise or changed your diet at all, that tends to cause our bodies to hold onto some extra water weight for a time. The good news is that water weight stalls are temporary and should go away on their own. The bad news is that it's hard to tell whether it's water weight or some other issue. You might be doing everything right and the stall will end on it's own in another week or so.

• DesiraeLynn24
    DesiraeLynn24 Posts: 12 Member
    Now that I know a tad more,

MFP's calculations in my opinion, are too generic. For example, I am a female 30 years old 162lb with a BF% of 25
    My current goal is to drop BF and maintaining my lean muscle mass.
    My calculations through various research for nutrition is roughly 1600 calories I split this as 50% protein, 30-40% fat and the remaining to carbs
    I carb cycle so there is a ton more involvement than the above but in a nutshell there it is.
    Now MFP says I should have 1200 calories and 55% of those should be to carbs
    I use MFP to make sure I track my food and eat accordingly as well as outside motivation to keep on keeping on
    So to answer the question I think a majority of goals are probably incorrect.

Gym time 2-3 times is a good base. If you only have enough time for that aim for lifting (it burns more calories than cardio) first. If you typically do not lift I suggest visiting the site to get some premade training plans. Than do your cardio (I suggest at least 30 minutes) structuring your training this way allows for maximum effect. You use your energy from food source for lifting (your fresh energy) and stored energy for cardio allowing you to burn the unwanted fat.

If you are able to try to increase your days as well. for the next 4 weeks aim to hit the gym or train 3-4 times a week. The following 4 weeks aim 4-5. Than you've got a good amount of training to balance your office job.

BTW body building (as I refer to it anyways) is not just becoming a mass monster or wanting to step up on stage to be judged. Its building your body to the way you want it. Try not to be intimidated by the name BodyBuilding.com its a really great information site.
  • juggernaut1974
    Try not to be intimidated by the name BodyBuilding.com its a really great information site.

There is a lot of good info there...there's also a lot of bro-science/pseudo-science spouted. Anyone visiting should be sure to weed out the good/correct from the bad.

That's true of any fitness site (this one included) of course.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Now that I know a tad more,

MFP's calculations in my opinion, are too generic. For example, I am a female 30 years old 162lb with a BF% of 25
    My current goal is to drop BF and maintaining my lean muscle mass.
    My calculations through various research for nutrition is roughly 1600 calories I split this as 50% protein, 30-40% fat and the remaining to carbs
    I carb cycle so there is a ton more involvement than the above but in a nutshell there it is.
    Now MFP says I should have 1200 calories and 55% of those should be to carbs
    I use MFP to make sure I track my food and eat accordingly as well as outside motivation to keep on keeping on
    So to answer the question I think a majority of goals are probably incorrect.

Gym time 2-3 times is a good base. If you only have enough time for that aim for lifting (it burns more calories than cardio) first. If you typically do not lift I suggest visiting the site to get some premade training plans. Than do your cardio (I suggest at least 30 minutes) structuring your training this way allows for maximum effect. You use your energy from food source for lifting (your fresh energy) and stored energy for cardio allowing you to burn the unwanted fat.

If you are able to try to increase your days as well. for the next 4 weeks aim to hit the gym or train 3-4 times a week. The following 4 weeks aim 4-5. Than you've got a good amount of training to balance your office job.

BTW body building (as I refer to it anyways) is not just becoming a mass monster or wanting to step up on stage to be judged. Its building your body to the way you want it. Try not to be intimidated by the name BodyBuilding.com its a really great information site.

I disagree. I find it to be full of bioscience.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the number of calories to maintain your current weight. If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that, you will lose weight.

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users