Calf pain relief

Options
htimpaired
htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
I have had tight/painful calves for about six weeks now, and seen my doctor and PT several times. Saw an orthopedist yesterday who recommended arch supports because of my overpronating feet (I already was wearing them in my running shoes), more PT, and Volteran gel applied four times a day.
She believes my calf pain (I can hardely walk, let alone resume running or other exercise), is due to compensation after my hamstrings were very tight after a run in the beginning of May.
My questions are:
a) anyone have success with volteran? How long did you have to use the gel to get relief?
b) tips for coping with injury? Running and other exercise are my go-to stress relievers. I haven't worked out since this started and admitedly resumed unhealthy eating habits and have gained some weight. I have returned to healthy eating, but I can't exercise until I'm pain-free (per the MD). It's really wearing me down.

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    have you considered a foam roaller to help?

for runners in general

benefits
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but would suggest doing upper body exercises and ab workouts til able to resume usual routines & try to make the best of your food selections to off-set any gain. Moist heating pad, stretching & elevating should give some relief along with following any pt suggestions. Not sure about volteran but may want to try an over the counter anti-inflammatory or pain reliever. Listen to your body & don't resume workouts until feeling better/doctor advised.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I haven't tried the Volteran gel, but I'm interested in hearing about other people's experiences with it. I'm always tightly wound, and would never stretch before or after any kind of exercise.

This lead to me tearing a small muscle in both of my calves a week apart from each other last September, and it took a lot of PT and anti-inflammatories to get back to normal. Right now, my prevention plan is daily stretching, monthly massages and I have started yoga again. My massage therapist also recommended arnica gel, and that seemed to help me with soreness. That prescription is probably going to be stronger and better though.

I'm so sorry you are hurting, this was an awful experience for me and I had to take a break from exercising too!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    have you considered a foam roaller to help?

for runners in general

benefits

I do foam roll. It helps, but doesn't last. they tighten right back up within a half hour. And I can't drop and foam roll in my office at work all day. :-( I have a tennis ball here, but it hurts ALOT.

I also am taking Flexaril (muscle relaxer), Mobic (antiinflammatory), and Magnesium. I have tried epsom salt baths. I stretch like a feind. I'm desperately hoping this gel will do the trick because nothing else is.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Do you have thoughts from your doctor on whether you could sub in pool-running? It *sucks*, don't get me wrong, but that's the first line of offense for runners with muscle and bone injuries.

Listen to your doctor above me, but for what it's worth, 90% of my lower body problems have, historically, come from inflexible and weak hip/glute muscles. I mean, working on those can't *hurt*, right? (Thinking of bodyweight, no-impact stuff like the myrtl exercises). And who knows, maybe they'll help eventually.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have used Volteran gel, for my sore shoulder and shins, and it works quite well. I use it once a day and you can feel the results pretty quickly. It's definitely worth a shot! It does feel weird once it's on though, it's a cold burn.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    flexaril is nice. I was on that for a bit.

this is a good series it's probably stuff that you already do but it's the order that is important

some people really love the stick

there are yoga asanas developed for runners, that may help as well.