Trying to cut

tangohitman
tangohitman Posts: 27 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been gaining weight and putting on muscle for the last year. I've significantly stronger and bigger but I also gained quite a bit of unwanted fat esp. around belly region.

I put up this meal plan. How's it look?

hnf5j301h2ia.png

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    What's your bodyweight?
    Need that to determine minimum protein and fat macros

What's your defecit

Where's your vegetables?

I only looked at the bottom line
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    What's your current height/weight? Seems a little high on the protein....0.8 g per pound of bodyweight is sufficient on a cut.

You'll need to be more careful about logging/calories - database entries like "1 skewer" "2 scoops" "2 wraps" etc are going to be wildly inaccurate about calorie counts.

I'd check out your micro nutrient goals too...with so few fruits & veggies I'm guessing you're going to be lacking in some of them (unless the ON powder is vitamin fortified - not sure)
  • tangohitman
    edited June 2015
    Sorry. Height is 5"8, bodyweight as of this morning is 173lbs

Deficit is 500calories

No veggies in there yet :/
  • juggernaut1974
    Sorry. Height is 5"8, bodyweight as of this morning is 173lbs

Yeah then definitely wasting money on all that protein.
  • tangohitman
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    What's your current height/weight? Seems a little high on the protein....0.8 g per pound of bodyweight is sufficient on a cut.

You'll need to be more careful about logging/calories - database entries like "1 skewer" "2 scoops" "2 wraps" etc are going to be wildly inaccurate about calorie counts.

I'd check out your micro nutrient goals too...with so few fruits & veggies I'm guessing you're going to be lacking in some of them (unless the ON powder is vitamin fortified - not sure)

Some items I eat I don't have nutrition label for because they're homemade. I suppose I could add in ingredients in the custom mode
  • juggernaut1974
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Some items I eat I don't have nutrition label for because they're homemade. I suppose I could add in ingredients in the custom mode

Yep - you'll get much more accurate results entering each ingredient individually. If it's a recipe you make often you can use the recipe builder feature to save it for multiple uses rather than having to log each ingredient every time you make it.
  • Sued0nim
    141g protein (0.64-0.82g per lb)
    61g fat (0.35g per lb)

That's your minimums ..the rest of the macros can fall where they will

Use the recipe builder
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    This is going to blow your mind, but a scoop of protein isn't 30.4g, you need to weigh it on scales....
  • tangohitman
    3sl6fob29ivj.png

How's the revision look?
  • juggernaut1974
    As far as balance, still seems a little light on the fat - you still have 300 calories up to your goal...I'd swap out the fat-free stuff and replace it with full fat.

Not meaning to nick pit - but since you asked for opinions...

Are you REALLY only going to eat rice and cottage cheese for dinner? That just seems so sad to me.
  • Sued0nim
    Do yu like eating that kind of thing for dinner ? Looks miserable to me

Remember protein and fat are minimum once you hit them you can eat whatever you want

For 753 calories you could have anything ...steak, fries and a salad fr'instance ...or fresh grilled tuna, veg and rice ...what do you like eating?
  • tangohitman
    Do either of you have a sample food day from when you were in cut phase? Just so I can get an idea...
  • Sued0nim
    Are you looking for a prescriptive diet?

What food do you like?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Do either of you have a sample food day from when you were in cut phase? Just so I can get an idea...

Or find some pals who have the same calorie goal as you, and look in their diaries?
  • juggernaut1974
    I haven't logged in quite a while...so it won't have all the breakdowns, but a 'typical' meal looked something like this for me:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, a slice of thin cut cheese, and a turkey sausage patty on an english muffin with sriracha sauce (came to something like 320 calories)

Lunch: Greek yogurt with granola (200 calories - I'm admittedly a very light lunch eater)

Dinner: 6 oz of meat (steak, chicken, pork chop, fish), 1 cup of some grain/carb (rice, quinoa, potatoes, etc), 1 cup of vegetables (green beans, carrots, asparagus, broccoli) and a salad...depending on the mix came to somewhere in the 800 calorie range

Then for snacks I usually had a Quest bar and/or protein smoothie to supplement the protein (200-300 calories) and either a small bowl of ice cream or some other 'treat' for dessert or before bed.
  • tangohitman
    edited June 2015
    Thanks for the input guys/gals. I really do appreciate it! I don't have much time to cook so I tend to lean towards cheap/quick type foods (studying for boards sucks). I think I'll have to sit down one day and simply re-design my eating habits/patterns
  • Sued0nim
    I entered some of the regular foods I like to eat to get near your goals in a day in the future

But this is what I like...and there is scope in your calorie allowance for much more food ...and snacks

And look no supplements ...but again that's personal choice

cjfwm93pjmre.jpg
    lkzex04wkx1a.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Ps I'm intolerant to egg yolk hence the egg whites and I'm not us based hence the brands

And I would generally have snacks like quavers or popchips during the day etc
  • tangohitman
    Thanks again!