When to weigh in?

Options
I'm curious about how often people weigh-in?

I'm trying to move away from frequent weigh-ins because the scale doesn't seem to have gotten the memo about all the great, low-calorie food I'm eating and energizing, butt-kicking workouts I've been doing. I'm getting compliments about looking great but the scale isn't moving!

How often to weigh in? Once a week? Once a month? More?

Does anyone else feel like the scale is a tool of SABOTAGE??

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    When I was in full on weight loss mode, I did it once a week.

I don't think there is any problem doing it more frequently...WITH THE CAVEAT that you can't let day to day fluctuations freak you out. Some days, your scale weight (without any logical or apparent) reason will go up, some will stay the same, some will go down. Focus on the long term trend, and not the individual fluctuations, regardless of how often you weigh in (obviously weighing in less often tends to smooth out those fluctuations)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I weigh Saturday morning, because Saturday is the day I'm most likely to overeat. There's no reason not to weigh more frequently, if you like, but I see no value in seeing the fluctuation. The problem I see with weighing less frequently is that you are allowing yourself to get farther behind if you need to make adjustments. I would rather it take a week or two to get back on track than to take a month.
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I log my weight in mfp whenever I see a change. I weigh at the same time every day and it doesn't really fluctuate so I use that as motivation to stay on track with my food. Where my diet has been slipping, my weight report does tend to show a rise too.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Once a month, after TOM is over, in the morning, after I've used the bathroom.
  • Ritzaburk
    Ritzaburk Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I weigh in once a week! I either weigh in first thing Saturday Morning, or first thing on Monday morning. I also, just for kicks, will weigh myself at the gym after a cardio day. I always use the same scale too! Same scale at the gym, and the same one at home.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Every day. I like seeing the tiny changes. Even if I put on a pound overnight, I am
    More conscious during the day of what I am eating. If it goes down, then yay. Gives me a good feeling and I keep more motivated. :smile:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Every day. I like seeing the tiny changes. Even if I put on a pound overnight, I am
    More conscious during the day of what I am eating. If it goes down, then yay. Gives me a good feeling and I keep more motivated. :smile:

totally get it :) me too