Protein.. plateaus and gaining weight...

Options
2»

Replies

• lil_swolemite
    lil_swolemite Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You and I are very similar in weight well at least were-I'm 186 now and was 293- I would get away from MFP calculations and move to TDEE do .8 grams of protein per body pound ..4 fat and adjust carbs to your calorie goal. You can still track your food here just don't count your exercise calories as extra food. Your going to lose muscle size no matter what as there is fat where there is muscle in our bodies..

I do around 200 grams protein 100 grams fat and adjust my carbs to my calorie goal but the food I like to eat contains a lot of protein.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

This times a thousand. If you're on point with diet, then please please give IIFYM a try. It was/is a lifesaver for me. It just gives you a ton of info and, really, a good way of thinking about food. :)
  • lil_swolemite
    lil_swolemite Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The bummer is though, that I seem to hit a weekly plateau now, with the most weight loss after the weekends due to increased physical activity on Saturdays and Sundays. But during the week as the desk job lingers on I tend to gain a little and lose it back slowly as I work harder. I know I shouldn't weigh every day but I've gotten to the point that I want to know how different daily diets affect my body.

I weigh myself everyday and keep it in a spreadsheet (heck, I log my daily weights in MFP, too) which calculates my average weekly weight, and the average difference it is from last weeks average. My weight definitely fluctuates (I carb and calorie cycle around my workouts), but as long as the average weight is headed down, then I'm content.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    This times a thousand. If you're on point with diet, then please please give IIFYM a try. It was/is a lifesaver for me. It just gives you a ton of info and, really, a good way of thinking about food. :)

So which formula should I use on that calculator. That site has so many ads it's nuts. Couldn't figure out how to calculate it until I scrolled down past enough ads to see I hadn't found the "Calculate" button yet. But using the "Mifflin-St Jeor" forumla my results were:

BMR: 2159
    TDEE: 3536 (That's exercising every day, which I have been doing for several months now)

You'd think that doing my best to average 3-3.5miles a day seven days a week would drop some serious weight, yet I'm staying at about 1700 calories a day according to my MFP log and probably averaging 2lbs lost a week, but no more than that. Even on days when weather stops me from walking 3+ miles I jump on the Bowflex M5 for a minimum of 15 minutes. I'll admit though there have been a few days in there where the weather sucked, and I did not get a full 15 minutes on the Bowflex in, but I stayed well below my daily 1700 calorie limit those days. If I set the exercise to 0, my TDEE goes to 2591. That's where I was before I started this diet/exercise regimen in early February. I did nothing to exercise, had a desk job, and was a complete couch potato unless I was cooking more food to eat lol. If I understand it correctly, and going by a TDEE of 2591, I should not exceed a 25% deficit.. which would be about 1944 calories if I was still being a couch potato. I'm currently set, through MFP at 1690 (as of this morning) calories a day goal, and try to do, at the very least, 500+ calories of exercise a day. It seems to work well so far. Even though I am setting myself at 1690 calories a day, I figure there are always inaccurate calorie counts on foods in the database, or in the quantity I'm inputting into my log. So 1690-1700 seems to keep me on track as long as I don't go over that. Every once in a great while (big BBQ, or family get-together, or vacation, etc.) if I go a couple hundred calories a day over my limit it shouldn't be a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

ASKyle: You're right, I seem to notice that daily gain when I go way over on sodium. Water gain is likely the cause more often than not. With it being BBQ season, not to mention this Sunday being the first day of summer, it's tough to keep sodium under control for sure.