Not burning calories even though working out at 80% of max heart rate!!! HELP!!!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    The weight loss camp I was at had us wear them for 12 hours a day as we were exercising all day apart from lunch break (1 hour) and two 30 min drink and rest breaks in between.

In that case it sounds like they were using them for things that they're not designed for, your comment about 12 hour afterburn would support that they didn't know what they were on about. I hope they didn't con you out of too much cash :(

Your results are ok, but weight loss is as simple as calories in vs calories out. PCOS is a collection of related conditions that aren't well understood, hence the difficulty getting meaningful advice from a GP. Notwithstanding that, the physics still works as it should.

Concentrate on your calorie deficit, train to help your health from both a cardiovascular and lean mass perspective. That means eating in deficit, doing CV work and doing some resistance work. I'd also suggest moderating your expectations about rate of loss, as 3lbs per week is very aggressive and may be couterproductive in the longer term.
    £10,000 and I did feel totally conned out of the cash.. however other people did lose loads of weight... mainly men who didn't have PCOS!! I was upfront with them about my condition before I went and they promised they could help me as they knew what they were doing... anyway.. that was 3 years ago now and I've dealt with that! I'm just trying to move forwards now and find the best help I can to lose the weight!

OK. As others are suggesting, given what you've already demonstrated, keep it simple. Focus on the calorie deficit, train for the health benefits.
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I'm not good on miles etc!
    I run at 10 kph (6.2mph) for 30 seconds, then I straddle for 30 seconds, then back on again for 30 seconds.. I do this for 30 minutes but sometimes I burn out at 25 minutes.
    Maybe you're right about HIIT needing to be faster than my body can handle!!!

Well, that's part of it, then. If that's what you're doing, then you're only running about 1.55 miles (assuming you make it the whole 30 minutes). Depending on weight and speed and incline, running a mile typically burns 75-110 calories, which means that you would be burning approximately 135 calories per 1/2 hour (assuming the average of those two numbers)--less than your estimate of 300/hour!

Yep, that's what I thought. You're barely covering any miles and therefore wasting a lot of effort. Stop the intervals for now, and focus on covering more miles. Your intervals are reducing you to a 3.1 MPH speed, which is 1.55 in 30 minutes. This is the reason you're not burning a lot. Work on steady running for a while. If you can handle a steady 5 MPH, you'll cover 2.5 miles in 30 minutes. That will add almost 100 more calories!! Then you can work on improving your speed. More miles = more calories.

Thanks! :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    I work out consistently between 70- 95% of my heart rate but I rarely can get above 300 calories burnt in 60 minutes which bearing in mind I am at least 27 kilos (60 pounds) overweight and sweating a lot I would expect to be burning a lot more...

Sweating means zero. Heart rate doesn't mean much more than zero. HRM with interval type training means less than zero.

Bottom line: a 200 pound person will burn 360 calories running 3 miles. So the first question is...can you actually run 3 miles? If the answer is "No", then if anything, your burn number may actually be too *high*.

Second question is...can you open your diary?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Thank you! I spoke to a doctor the other day who was visiting a friend and she suggested I was possibly exercising too much but didn't want to give much advice as I'm not her patient. Who would have though too much exercise would have that effect!

You are absolutely positively not exercising "too much".

Good grief...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    OP, I know you said you do HIIT running. But how many miles total are you covering in 30 minutes? Figuring out your average speed (or pace) is a good way to figure out why you aren't burning major calories. If your walking intervals are slowing down your overall speed to say 4-5 miles an hour, you're not going to burn crazy calories whereas running 5.5 miles an hour will burn more.

I used to focus on speed intervals (very fast running-for me-alternating with walking). But I found that 1) I couldn't sustain this workout for very long and 2) I couldn't cover many miles because of the slow intervals. So I started slowing down my run and keep it mostly steady with a slight bump up or down in speed. This allows me to go longer and cover more miles, which ultimately burns more calories.

I know, I know, there are tons of articles about HIIT being more effective--but I think true HIIT is perhaps way more intense than you or I could ever do.

Regardless, 14 lbs in a month is outstanding. Clearly you've done something right! I wouldn't worry about how many calories you burn as long as you are burning SOMETHING and eating at a deficit.

I try to burn an additional 200ish calories a day. That's it. Because that's all I need to bump up my eating calories to a comfortable level while still in a deficit.
    I run at 10 kph (6.2mph) for 30 seconds, then I straddle for 30 seconds, then back on again for 30 seconds.. I do this for 30 minutes but sometimes I burn out at 25 minutes.
    Maybe you're right about HIIT needing to be faster than my body can handle!!!

So about 1.5 miles. No more than 200 cals, more likely about 160.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    1. 14 pounds in a month is an excellent amount of weight loss. Also consider that while your boot camp may have very well been run by highly professional individuals, it doesn't change the fact that people/groups that are trying to make a buck (and they made a lot off you) do in fact implement things they know are technically wrong to make a sale and give a certain perception. They know HRMs are "hot" right now. Therefore they had you wear them all day as "evidence" of how much you were burning. But if they have any knowledge whatsoever, they know that the accuracy of calories burned isn't dead on wearing one all day when you aren't is steady state the entire time. They used saying your calorie burn was off as an excuse to explain away why you were losing less weight than you hoped to lose so you wouldn't blame their program but blame your body. Yeah...they tried to play you.

2. Regarding your HIIT training, I won't go into a ton of detail because other posters pointed it out but I agree with them. Your calorie burns aren't off. An increased heart rate during your rest periods and afterwards doesn't account for a major bump in calories burned. You're doing 30 minutes of running and 30 minutes of walking for 30 minutes. You're running for a total of 15 minutes. And while strength training is needed, make sure you don't mistake it for burning a ton of calories. If you see someone on your newsfeed burning 700 calories doing an hour of strength training, they're wrong. Ignore it and don't let it affect how you view your calorie burns

3. Regard your weight gain over 2 weeks on 1200 calories and then drop when you switched to 1000 calories. It was 2 weeks. Just do the math. You couldn't have physically gained that amount over 2 weeks trying to do 1200. You also couldn't have physically dropped 4 pounds by simply decreasing 200 calories a day. That's not even a decrease of half a pound a week. So how could you body have possibly been medically affected enough to gain at a rapid rate yet lose at a rapid rate when you dropped 1400 a week? If you did somehow, someway have something that caused you medically to gain that quickly, why would that same medical condition positively affect you on the reverse end to lose at a more rapid rate than physically possible on the adjusted deficit? The weight gain was just normal ups and downs we all face and you panicked. We push ourselves a little harder at the gym, we retain water and "gain" false weight. We eat extra sodium, we retain water. Plus, all the lady business we have. We all have times where the scale is up. It can be frustrating but letting increased numbers on the scale make you believe you're gaining rapidly is a recipe for failure. Just stick to a program and keep at it. Do all the right things with food and exercise and let nature take it's course. Otherwise, you're just making adjustments too quickly for anything to actually show as being a major help or hurdle.

Just relax. You said you weigh everything. You're actively working out at the gym. You are cutting your calories too low doing 1000 but that's another subject (adjust it to something reasonable, no need to starve yourself). Relax.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member

You would burn MORE calories running slower, constantly, for longer. You'll also get more aerobically fit by doing so. You'll also reduce your chances of injury and you'll recover faster. You'll be able to run constantly without the 30 on, 30 seconds off, approach... because you are running slower. Repeat: you will burn more calories.

What is your heart rate while you are running? Are you still training with a HRM?
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Thank you! I spoke to a doctor the other day who was visiting a friend and she suggested I was possibly exercising too much but didn't want to give much advice as I'm not her patient. Who would have though too much exercise would have that effect!

You are absolutely positively not exercising "too much".

Good grief...

Agreed. I wouldn't listen to that doctor anymore.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Where did my post go? I commented on this this morning? :/
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    I have to set my activity level lower than I think is correct and not eat back the majority of my exercise calories.

I think the bell curve averages cover most people.

I know for me, my metabolism seems to be slower, so I have to count calories hard to drop pounds.

It may not be fair, but it is what it is.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    I was just seeing that it meant my HR was alternating between about 60% - 90% of max HR for a prolonged period of time so that in turn would have to be more beneficial to me. I didn't think about the straddling part would bring down the all over speed.

Two things: Your heart rate doesn't factor that much into calorie burn. It's a measure of work effort to be sure but consider this: which muscles are bigger - those in your legs, or those in your heart?

Legs, by many times. And when you are straddling the machine what are those legs doing? Almost nothing.

Keep the legs moving and you will burn more calories per unit of time than what you are burning doing your current approach. Slow down and you'll be able to run non-stop, and now or soon be able to run non-stop for longer than 30 minutes, and *that* will burn calories plus deliver all the other health benefits already mentioned.

Second... don't focus on speed. What really matters is time (runners often call this training volume) and you'll be able to do more time if you slow down a bit. You don't have to slow down all that much to bring your heart rate back into your aerobic capability; that will give you the ability to run longer and cover more distance = more calories.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,954 Member
    You mention that you eat between 1000-1200 calories a day. But what is your macronutrient breakdown? And how many calories do you typically burn in a day?

Over-training and under-eating is probably what's stopping you from losing weight as quickly as you'd like. Physically exerting your body and then not feeding it proper nutrients will cause your body to hold on to whatever fat is present because you're entering starvation mode. 14 pounds in one month is definitely impressive, but maybe you need to rethink WHAT you eat versus just focusing on HOW MUCH you eat. I'm curious what the ratio of protein/carbs/fat is for your low-calorie intake.

40% protein/ 40% fat/ 30% carbs.
    I eat carbs through veg and some fruits and eat lean meats and fish
    I was having protein shakes but they were high in sugar so I stopped having them
    I'm unclear on what calories I burn in a day as with PCOS I have a lower BMR than normal women but I am exercising 1 hour a day with a mixture of cardio and resistance training.

110% food! ;)
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    edited June 2015

Something is not quite right here...
    <edit: Beat me to it, VeryKatie!>
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited June 2015

@RuNaRoUnDaFiEld - are you sure it was this thread? Op posted more than one. Maybe you responded in the other one.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    OP - will you open your diary?
  • LisaJayne71
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    You mention that you eat between 1000-1200 calories a day. But what is your macronutrient breakdown? And how many calories do you typically burn in a day?

Over-training and under-eating is probably what's stopping you from losing weight as quickly as you'd like. Physically exerting your body and then not feeding it proper nutrients will cause your body to hold on to whatever fat is present because you're entering starvation mode. 14 pounds in one month is definitely impressive, but maybe you need to rethink WHAT you eat versus just focusing on HOW MUCH you eat. I'm curious what the ratio of protein/carbs/fat is for your low-calorie intake.

I eat carbs through veg and some fruits and eat lean meats and fish
    I was having protein shakes but they were high in sugar so I stopped having them
    I'm unclear on what calories I burn in a day as with PCOS I have a lower BMR than normal women but I am exercising 1 hour a day with a mixture of cardio and resistance training.

110% food! ;)

Bugger! I meant to type 40% protein / 30% fat/ 30% carbs! I promise I can count!!! Trying to do too many things at once!!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    OP, in the nicest possible way, as a fellow PCOS sufferer, you are using PCOS as an excuse. PCOS gets worst by you being overweight. It is not defying the laws of physics: eat less, lose weight. I have PCOS and I am hypothyroid. Also insulin resistant, not for weight related issues. Diagnosed more than 20 years ago. I have lived with these conditions for that long, and it never crossed my mind to start a conversation in real life or on line explaining I suffer from these things. I have actually never mentioned them, to anyone but my dr and in reply to people saying they suffer from these conditions, as in "yeah, me too, here is what worked for me". The fact you start a thread and mention PCOS, a very common condition millions of women suffer from, as something that you need to say to introduce yourself, it means something is very wrong with your thinking regarding weight loss. Your dr is not taking you seriously, because you are using a medical condition that needs weight loss to get better, as an excuse to not lose weight. Focus on your diet, count calories properly, do some exercise (whether it is simple old fashioned walking or something "trendier", it is irrelevant for your goals), be consistent for a few months, forget being a special case, and you will be surprised very pleasantly.
  • LisaJayne71

@RuNaRoUnDaFiEld - are you sure it was this thread? Op posted more than one. Maybe you responded in the other one.

Yes, that's my fault, sorry. I did post in another thread.. didn't realise the confusion it would create.. and I've been struggling to keep up with the comments on this one!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    OP, in the nicest possible way, as a fellow PCOS sufferer, you are using PCOS as an excuse. PCOS gets worst by you being overweight. It is not defying the laws of physics: eat less, lose weight. I have PCOS and I am hypothyroid. Also insulin resistant, not for weight related issues. Diagnosed more than 20 years ago. I have lived with these conditions for that long, and it never crossed my mind to start a conversation in real life or on line explaining I suffer from these things. I have actually never mentioned them, to anyone but my dr and in reply to people saying they suffer from these conditions, as in "yeah, me too, here is what worked for me". The fact you start a thread and mention PCOS, a very common condition millions of women suffer from, as something that you need to say to introduce yourself, it means something is very wrong with your thinking regarding weight loss. Your dr is not taking you seriously, because you are using a medical condition that needs weight loss to get better, as an excuse to not lose weight. Focus on your diet, count calories properly, do some exercise (whether it is simple old fashioned walking or something "trendier", it is irrelevant for your goals), be consistent for a few months, forget being a special case, and you will be surprised very pleasantly.

tumblr_mei017xLGW1rmwepjo1_400.png
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Just checked your profile, and it is explaining perfectly why you gain weight: stop blaming PCOS for causing mysteruious cravings for sugar and carbs and making you overeat. You have no self control, so you overeat, so you gain weight, so your PCOS gets out of control. Open your diary.