Does being told you are thin ever get old?

Options
After being heavy most of my life, I lost 70 pounds and have been maintaining for over a year and a half now. While people I've known all along have generally (understandably) stopped making comments about my weight, I still feel surprised when someone says something about me being "skinny" or "thin". I usually get a thrill over it or look over my shoulder to make sure they are actually talking to me. Now, I'm 5'9" tall and weight around 145 (BMI of around 21), so I am at a healthy weight. The comments aren't personal or meant to be negative; more along the lines of a new massage therapist I went to who said she could feel the tension in my hip flexors because I was "super thin" or the girl at the department store who said I would look good in a particular dress because I was "so small". Do you ever get tired of hearing you are thin (or any other synonym)?

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Yes, but there have been points in my life where I was trying NOT to be "thin." It is a compliment when it's something you've worked hard for. It's a heavy reminder if it's the symptom of an illness you're resisting.

That said, enjoy it. You've earned it.
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I should add that I don't mean the comments from those "well meaning" people who say you should stop losing weight (even though I have for a while now), or that you're "too skinny". Those get old. I get tired of saying I am healthy.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Id imagine its a bit dull if you have an eating disorder.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It did for me, so I started lifting weights. No one says I am thin anymore.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    It did ... until I started replying that "I'm back to my university years fitness level". That leaves them speechless. I can see their mind turning over, wishing they could turn back the clock too.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    No, I never get tired of it :smiley: ..but then I'm not super thin but slim, so maybe it's different for me.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Yes, but there have been points in my life where I was trying NOT to be "thin." It is a compliment when it's something you've worked hard for. It's a heavy reminder if it's the symptom of an illness you're resisting.

That said, enjoy it. You've earned it.

I very much agree.
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Depends on how they are saying it. There are some people who say it w/a sour puss look on their face.
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    In the last couple of years I have lost 78 pounds and I know what you're talking about. I was getting a scan done of my gall bladder and the tech also scanned my heart and said I had a very healthy aorta and then made the comment, of course you are so small. I had to keep myself from laughing! I was flattered and felt great the rest if the day.

I think it is a compliment for those of us who worked hard to lose weight. I feel this is part of my reward and hopefully the comments will keep me away from going back to old habits.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It did for me, so I started lifting weights. No one says I am thin anymore.

lol +1
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I really, really want someone to tell me I'm thin!! Congrats on your weight loss!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it gets old.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Id imagine its a bit dull if you have an eating disorder.

Depends on the eating disorder. In my disordered state I thrived on it--it pushed me harder--"you think I'm thin now--just wait!" Not a good thing, but I didn't tire of hearing it. (This was half a lifetime ago however.)
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    yes - it does get old. I'm also tired of hearing - you lost more weight! you've got to stop! when I've not lost a single pound in almost a year! the worst is they'll argue with me! Last time I told the lady - I should know, it's my body!
    argh.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I don't know that I've thought a whole lot about this. But honestly, I'm looking for an athletic build. So I think I'd prefer being called "in shape" to being called "thin." I'm sure "thin" is desirable--being the opposite of "fat"--and I certainly wouldn't consider it an insult, but I think I'm motivated more by general physical fitness than the size of my waist.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Where I'm irritated is while I've lost a lot of weight, I'm still on the higher side of obese (near morbidly) at a BMI of 38ish. Co-workers that say "hey skinny" when passing in the hall make my blood boil. I know they're trying to be supportive, but I'm far from skinny yet. Sorry, rant over.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've been called "too thin" and that's just plain irritating.
    Interestingly both times by fat, failed dieters.

People react to the same words differently BTW - to me "thin" and "skinny" are negatives and "slim" is a positive descriptor.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    having a touch of body dysmorphia, i don't like being referred to as thin or skinny because i automatically think they are either lying (just being polite) or blind. I was at a dr. office once, and the nurse asked if i'd been weighed yet, and then immediately changed her mind and said, "I'll just write slim". When I replied, thanks for the compliment but I don't share your opinion, she said: I thought you'd say something like that.
    intuitive chick. it was my first visit there.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've only been at goal weight for about 3 weeks, but so far I haven't managed to walk by a mirror without checking to see whether I really look slim. I am totally tired of the "stop losing weight" comments. Although the "you need to eat a cheeseburger" comment was really funny. I've never in my life been accused of needing to eat a cheeseburger. lol.