Doctor suggests 800 calories a day

Options
I just got my physical and my doctor was asking about how I'm managing my weight. I told her about my calorie intake of about 1350 (mfp set goal) calories and she said that wouldn't help me lose weight and I need to go down to eating 800 a day.
I'm 205 lbs and 5'6"
I'm a little puzzled that a doctor would recommend such a low amount.
Just looking for opinions on this

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest getting a new doctor.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician instead.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Wow....I'd get a new doctor. In general doctors know very little about nutrition (obviously).
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Did she say why? I mean, calorie restrictions this drastic are usually only given as a last resort to people that have significant health issues from being very overweight. I would get a second opinion before cutting my calories that low, or just use your better judgement if you don't have any underlying health concerns that need immediate attention.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said....new doctor....that is drastic.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    ?!? I'm 5'7 and I've been loosing on 1550 cal? I'd just avoid your doctor's nutritional advice.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Havent we had this before? Aak your Dr why, clearly she is wrong about 1350 not working because thats a significant deficit. She may have her reasons and its up to you to find out what they are. It doesnt mean she is correct, but she should have no problem explaining things and then you cna make your own mind up.

800 can be ok if you ae under medical supervision. If you arent sure then ask another Dr.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Woah, that's terrible.

I had a similar experience with a doctor, telling her I was eating 1200 calories at 5'2" and 160 lbs and she said I just needed to eat less if that wasn't working.

I've found much more knowledge (and interest) in these forums.
  • Zaeliekins
    Zaeliekins Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Honestly I was only there for my yearly, no health concerns so far. I have successfully been losing weight with the help of mfp and exercise.
    I wasn't looking for her advise on losing it she just recommended it.
    Sirens went off in my head when I heard 800, I was thinking she might have been worried that I for some reason eating too few.
    Just wanted to share :D
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Zaeliekins wrote: »
    I just got my physical and my doctor was asking about how I'm managing my weight. I told her about my calorie intake of about 1350 (mfp set goal) calories and she said that wouldn't help me lose weight and I need to go down to eating 800 a day.
    I'm 205 lbs and 5'6"

Were you losing consistently at the 1350 calories? Your profile says you've lost 59lbs. It seems like you're doing just fine with what you were eating. Cutting down to 800 seems quite excessive. I'd get another opinion or see a dietitian.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to your doctor lol. They only get around 8 hours of nutritional training during their degree course.

From your profile it seems you're doing pretty well by yourself without any aid from a dietician, keep doing what you're doing OP!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Was that Mrs. Dr OZ??
  • melzy824
    melzy824 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You should never go below 1200 calories for a woman - or so everyone says. I am on 1200 calories and there is no way I could eat any less than that without starving myself.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I'm 205 lbs and 5'6"

My opinion, as someone who started out at 5'6" and 200:

Get a new doctor and insist on labwork. Even if you're not using a food scale, unless you're eyeballing and overestimating high-calorie items, you should still be within a deficit for losing at least a pound a week.

You have lost 59 pounds to date. How long have you been stalled at 205? A couple of weeks? It does happen sometimes. Weight loss isn't linear and the body seems to play catch-up every so often, even if you're logging everything correctly.

If your loss has simply slowed, perhaps it is time to consider picking up an exercise that you can progressively improve yourself in (non-scale victories are just as valid as scale victories). If you are not using a scale, buy one. If you are eating out frequently, realize that restaurant food often has large calorie variances with what is listed.
  • OffKilter5150
    OffKilter5150 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There's nothing magical about 1200 calories, but there's little doubt that, unless on a medically supervised program, that 800 is too low.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Honestly I was only there for my yearly, no health concerns so far. I have successfully been losing weight with the help of mfp and exercise.
    I wasn't looking for her advise on losing it she just recommended it.
    Sirens went off in my head when I heard 800, I was thinking she might have been worried that I for some reason eating too few.
    Just wanted to share :D

Oh, well if you're losing, then disregard my advice about labs, etc. Doctors don't know anything about weight loss, it seems.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

This.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Emphatic +1

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

I want this to be my answer, but I'm not sure because I don't know the whole story.

Did your doctor say why you should be eating so few calories? is there a medical issue going on that needs immediate attention?