Doctor suggests 800 calories a day

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Precisely, its not uncommon to not get all relevant information, its also not uncommon for people to jump to conclusions.
  • cohenson5
    cohenson5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think you should get a new doctor and see a dietitian for more clarification on calorie intake for weight loss.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    at 200+ you would be losing on 1600 which is twice what the crackpot said.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Precisely, its not uncommon to not get all relevant information, its also not uncommon for people to jump to conclusions.

OP's profile says that she has lost 59 lbs. She mentioned in the thread that she's lost weight eating 1350 calories per day. Her doctor told her that 1350 wouldn't "help her lose weight" and that she should actually be eating 800 calories.

We can only use the info that we've been given, but to me, the doctor sounds like a moron about nutrition and should just stick to what he/she does best.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    you could ruin your metabolism dropping that low for a consistent amount of time....i would suggest a nutritionist...
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    you could ruin your metabolism dropping that low for a consistent amount of time....i would suggest a nutritionist...

Can't ruin your metabolism, and you want a dietitian. Anyone that wants can call themselves a nutritionist.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Did she offer to set up occasional checkups and bloodwork while you're doing this? If not, she's not actually supervising you and is just giving you bad (terrible!) advice.

Good for you for paying attention. We all have to be our own advocates. New doctor, stat.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Do you have a life-threatening medical condition that requires an extreme caloric restriction in order to get the weight off as quickly as possible? If not, find a new doctor.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Id see another dr. I was 209 and Im 5'6 1/2 and lost weight no problem with a caloric range of 1500-1800+ if you lose weight already then keep eating at the 1350.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    well thats a dose of #starveyourselftodeath
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6.5" and see that over the last 30 days, 23% of the time my gross calories were over 2,000. (I get a lot of exercise calories, but do not eat them all back.)

I'm consistently losing a pound per week.

3061d77800b1351528fa5bb6e9aecbaf.png
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    5'4 at 1200 and I'm beginning to think even that's too low. I can't even imagine 800. I'd be a walking zombie.

I'd get a second opinion. Of course, the last MD who told me I needed to lose weight was significantly heavier than I and didn't want to listen to the fact that I'd already lost 70 lbs when I saw her, so... I'm a wee bit cynical.
  • rbee2015
    rbee2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Way too low....don't do it.
  • MaryBBMary
    MaryBBMary Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'd be very careful about going down to 800 cals a day. It may affect your metabolism and is unsustainable. You are doing well as you are obvs. If you reach a plateau, maybe sit tight, maintain your weight, before attacking it again??
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Short term - couple of months or three? It ain't gonna kill you and likely won't cause lasting harm.

Long term? Yer gonna die a lot faster on 800/day, right? Starvation (for reals) rations.

I wouldn't do it because I'd be too damned hungry all the time.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I read your post and the word "WHAT!?" literally came out of my mouth.

Time to get a new doctor. Every single doctor I've talked to about weight loss has always been way more reasonable about it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You might make a suggestion to your doctor...about where she can put her advice. She might be great at general doctory stuff, but if she's anything like mine and his "you must eat too much fatty food," which it seems she is, you're better off consulting with Dr. Interweb for weight loss advice.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Zaeliekins wrote: »
    I just got my physical and my doctor was asking about how I'm managing my weight. I told her about my calorie intake of about 1350 (mfp set goal) calories and she said that wouldn't help me lose weight and I need to go down to eating 800 a day.
    I'm 205 lbs and 5'6"
    I'm a little puzzled that a doctor would recommend such a low amount.
    Just looking for opinions on this

Because your doctor is an idiot.

Do you know what they call the last person in his med school class?

Doctor.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    This conversation with you doctor is out of context. Did you ask why.?
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My thyroid doctor gave me the same advice. I ignored it. I do like my doctor though. However, I eat between 1200-1400 and lose weight. If you need help losing from a doctor, get a new one. Otherwise, ignore what they said, I personally wouldn't be able to survive on only 800 calories.