Why is it I notice when people lose 5lbs but I can't tell I have lost 10lbs.

Options
Why is it so easy to notice when other people lose weight but when I have lost 10lbs I can't really tell myself. I've had a few people tell me that they think I look skinnier but when I look in the mirror I can't tell? Anyone else like this?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Because we're our own worst critic?

Have you tried taking progress photos? That works way better than just looking in the mirror.
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Probably because you're around yourself every day so you don't see the big difference you would see with other people having had a gap between seeing them last
  • jerrica30
    jerrica30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Because we're our own worst critic?

Have you tried taking progress photos? That works way better than just looking in the mirror.

No and I should, I'm not very good at keeping up with that I should be doing my measurements also. I will try to take pictures and do my measurements I think that would help to mentally see more progress than the scale.
  • jerrica30
    Options
    Toadstool_ wrote: »
    Probably because you're around yourself every day so you don't see the big difference you would see with other people having had a gap between seeing them last

Ya that makes sense. I just see such a huge difference when other people lose the same or less amount of weight than I do.
  • Mowzer7
    Mowzer7 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Others see it but you don't. I agree with the others. Find something that will help you quantify your changes, like photos and measurements.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Mowzer7 wrote: »
    Others see it but you don't. I agree with the others. Find something that will help you quantify your changes, like photos and measurements.

What happen to your fat morphed to muscle?
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Nope, I always notice when I lose weight because of how my clothes fit.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The last time I lost weight my body shape didn't change. I knew I was smaller because I was wearing smaller cloths but the shape in the mirror stayed the same. So it was hard for my brain to believe it. Different people wear weight differently. The easiest way to see it in yourself is if your face changes shape and that usually takes more than 10lbs to notice it.
  • BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The progress pics are the best teller! I lost 9lbs and I couldn't see it so I took a pic, omg the difference! I was shocked at the difference. I've lost a stone so far and I still can't see the difference! Trust me photo progress pics ins the best! Try it.
  • dembly
    dembly Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I remember losing weight after a breakup. I was a cute size 10. I looked great (looking back). But most of my friends at the time were size 6-8 models. I never felt turn and when I had a few designers try to fit me for shows (really low level local stuff).. they would make cments about how they didn't know if they had anything big enough for me..

Since them I've fractured my back, had a child and had other health issues that meant I have doubled the weight I was :'( but I've promised myself that if I ever get back there I will damn well appreciate it this time..

You're your own worst critic and when they photoshop models to make them skinnier it isn't surprising we still compare amd then think hmm nope.. still fat..

Hang in there!!!
  • jerrica30
    Options
    That's exactly what I'm tak
    The last time I lost weight my body shape didn't change. I knew I was smaller because I was wearing smaller cloths but the shape in the mirror stayed the same. So it was hard for my brain to believe it. Different people wear weight differently. The easiest way to see it in yourself is if your face changes shape and that usually takes more than 10lbs to notice it.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. My clothes fit differently but my shape still seems the same when I look in the mirror, usually after I get out of the shower.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    People where I work started to noticed that I'd "lost a bit of weight dear" when I passed 40 lbs. And then only after I also cut and coloured my hair.

Do it for yourself because if you lose for others' approval you'll be disappointed.
  • jerrica30
    Options
    Thanks for e support.
    dembly wrote: »
    I remember losing weight after a breakup. I was a cute size 10. I looked great (looking back). But most of my friends at the time were size 6-8 models. I never felt turn and when I had a few designers try to fit me for shows (really low level local stuff).. they would make cments about how they didn't know if they had anything big enough for me..

Since them I've fractured my back, had a child and had other health issues that meant I have doubled the weight I was :'( but I've promised myself that if I ever get back there I will damn well appreciate it this time..

You're your own worst critic and when they photoshop models to make them skinnier it isn't surprising we still compare amd then think hmm nope.. still fat..

Hang in there!!!

Thanks for the support. I guess it's been harder on me emotionally bc I haven't lost my baby weight and he's 7 months old, I'm still 20lbs over!! My first child I didn't have to do anything to lose weight and was back within my normal weight in a couple months, but after my second child I wasn't able to do anything about my weight. I was in nursing school ( still am but on summer break) and you are constantly studying, lectures, or clinicals so I didn't have time to really cook so I didn't eat so well. I'm really trying to get most of the weight off while I'm on break so I don't gain any when school starts again.
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    What you're going through happens to a lot of people that loose weight, especially to those that loose a huge amount of weight. Your brain takes time to process the weight loss.

When I look in the mirror I can see maybe a difference of half the weight that I have actually lost, nothing drastic. Yet when I see myself in pictures I can see a huge difference, I can see the full weight loss.

Just give it time and you will start to notice the weight loss and take progress pics like someone else suggested.