Anybody here with Hypothyroidism trying to lose weight?

Options
Hey! I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism last year and was put on Levothyroxine to manage it.
I gained some weight along the process and would like to lose.. It's so hard!!
Anybody on the same boat?

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm on Levothyroxine too. It's harder but doable.
  • Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options
    Hello, i am on the same medication (100mcg daily) feel free to join me if you like. It is harder but it can be done :wink:
  • JannineOwen
    JannineOwen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    hi :)

i'm what the doctors classed as borderline hypothyroid, was offered medication but turned it down for now, i'm just at the beginning of my weight loss journey (started trying about 7 weeks ago) but am already finding it hard, only found this site yesterday so am hoping it will help, will have to wait and see.
  • jansus
    jansus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi add me as a friend as well if you want - I am in the same boat - and struggling at the moment.

But not giving up.
  • amyrrobinson
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was 10 yrs old (so 26 yrs ago). I take the brand name Synthroid. Generic does NOT work for me or any member in my family. You will have to watch your levels as you start to lose weight. I get check every 6 months or so. Sometimes sooner if I feel 'off'. I watch my carbs and sugars carefully as they don't process as well. I would start simple. I started with 30 mins of working out 3x week, then decreased portion size, then increased work out time, then started eating better and watching calories, sodium, carbs, and sugars. Good luck! It can be done!

SW: 169.5
    CW: 111.6
    GW: 105
  • SammyHKSmith
    Options
    Likewise!
    I'm on 150mcg and have been hypo for 10 years since I was 18.

First 14lbs came off relatively quickly, the last 2lb have taken FOREVER.

It is doable, but remember that your BMR will be lower than most, so weight loss will be slower xx
  • dd122436
    dd122436 Posts: 39
    Options
    Oh dear, I feel your pain...
    I was diagnosed, I guess around 4 years ago, and have been battling my weight since before the diagnosis. I take synthroid everyday (for the rest of my life) and I'm finding it incredibly hard to lose ANY weight. Recently I was running 5-6k/day and gaining weight! That being said I can't seem to get my appetite under control, so I tend to overeat as I hate feeling hungry. I've noticed if I take my thyroid pill well before eating anything (like set my alarm and take it at 2a.m.) I have more energy, it seems to work better. However I hate waking up at 2a.m. so I just take it with my morning cup of coffee. Anyways, I'm sorry I don't have much advice...I hope maybe someone else does! Hang in there.
  • ivyann73deleted
    Options
    I had a total thyroidectomy in March 2010. I also take Levothyroxine. I've been able to lose 20 lbs. in 4 months. I would suggest having your levels checked regularly during your weight loss. Mine seem to be going up and down so I'm getting checked every 3 months.
  • tiarra77
    tiarra77 Posts: 39
    Options
    DEFINITELY A HARDER ROAD FOR US, BUT IT CAN BE DONE. I AM LOSING, IT WAS HARD TO GET IT GOING...BUT NOW IT SEEMS PRETTY STEADY. LONG AS U REALLY DRINK UR WATER AND PAY ATTENTION TO UR BATHROOM USAGE ..... U WANNA MAKE SURE THINGS ARE RUNNING SMOOTHLY, IF U KNOW WHAT I MEAN. :happy:

IT FEELS GOOD TO LOSE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST AMOUNT, U CAN DO IT !!!
  • dd122436
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I take generic and I swear it does nothing. Still have the joint pain, foggy thinking, fatigue. I'm switching immediately, thank you!
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I take a natural supplement for my hypothyroid which is basically dessicated pig thyroid, and my numbers are normal. Still, losing weight doesn't come easy or fast but I would not say it's hard, for me at least. It requires a lot of focus and determination but I've lost 45 pounds in a bit over a year and have had several major setbacks during that some, two medical, and I am pretty much near where I want to be.

I'd recommend reading this book. It's not written with weight loss in mind but it helps to understand what's wrong and how to deal with the problem, and points out the limitations of some of the pharmaceutical drugs available for hypothyroid.

http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Thyroid-Madness-Revolution-Treatment/dp/0615144314
  • flakey63
    flakey63 Posts: 13
    Options
    I was diognosed many yrs ago and have been on Levoxyl for close to 20 yrs.Sounds like the same meds you are on..There are only two meds for low thyroid levoxyl and synthyroid..It is very hard to lose but the thing is to step up fitness and control our eating..Easier said than done, but it of course, it can be done..I go every 3 months for blood work to see how my levels are and unfortunately I'll be on these meds the rest of my life. I know its harder for women in general to lose weight but with perserverence and a healthly lifestyle you'll lose that extra weight. Good luck to you....
  • dd122436
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I take generic and I swear it does nothing. Still have the joint pain, foggy thinking, fatigue. I'm switching immediately, thank you!

I'm a moron, I meant to quote the person that wrote about generic thyroid pills not working...
  • Ana__91
    Ana__91 Posts: 3
    Options
    It nice to know i'm not alone, I'm the only person in my family with it and it's been a bit of a struggle for me! It's nice to have support :) add me
  • flakey63
    flakey63 Posts: 13
    Options
    Jo-Jo I love your weight goals..You gave me an idea and will do the same....Thanks, and you are doing great!!!
  • Tangerie1
    Tangerie1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi there
    I take it I was on Synthroid and started taking lev on my own. It did'nt seem to make that much of a difference. When I was first diagnoise with it, took a very long time to get regulated. Took that radiation a while back. I've changed to the generic, my last check-up was normal. As normal as can be. It is difficult with the weight thing though. Just have to keep with it. Even if you fall sometimes....
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    I was diagnosed 5 1/2 years ago and take 125mcg of Levothyroxin. I, too, have battled the weight issue and have thought about asking to be switched to the natural (pig) thyroid. Oh, I also can't exercise regularly right now (2 foot rebuilds). I'm sure with all these kind people on MFP, you'll find a ton of support!

Anyone needing support, please feel free to add me!
  • torsaer
    torsaer Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes - I'm hypothyroid as I think many of us here are. I think it does make it harder but not impossible - it just means we have to be extra careful.. I"m on 150mcg levothyroxine. Do add me as a friend if you like!
  • rurukidoo
    rurukidoo Posts: 54
    Options
    Add me into the crowd who are losing weight and dealing with having a rubbish thyroid. It is totally doable, now that I have really started being careful with my calories and exercising more I am losing steadily. I think it'll just take longer than it does for other people.

Feel free to add me if you'd like another like minded pal! =)
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Hypothyroid for decades - undiagnosed until about 15 years ago.
    TSH standard scale indicates anyone with a TSH of 5 or over is not hypothyroid.....I am practically comatose at 5. With my doctor's help, I keep my TSH below 1.5. I have enough energy to live and losing weight is easier. Not easy, but easier.
    I take natural dessicated thyroid from porcine sources.
    I tried synthroid. My hair fell out in 4-month cycles. Synthetics are not for me.
    This is not a hypothyroid forum, so I'll leave it at that.
    My diet:
    300-500 calories for meals
    100 calories for snacks - AM, PM, Evening [I snack, to keep my blood sugars steady and regulated]
    Calorie zig-zagging to ensure my metabolism doesn't catch on that I'm dieting: 1200 net calories one day, 1500-1800 net calories the next day
    Exercise 3-5 times a week.
    Hungrygirl.com

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou: