A question for the ladies out there (could be TMI)

Options
Hey all,

When I was at a much heavier weight (305lbs), my menstrual cycles were never very regular, which my doctor said was because of the weight. I lost about 20lbs through better portions and very casual exercise and everything seemed to settle into a good pattern for about two years. I threw exercise into the mix and started to spot randomly here and there (I was doing about an hour of stationary bike with some weights mixed in). I was told this was normal to have happen.

Recently (two-three weeks maybe?) I have jumped in and made the move from stationary bike to actually running, which I could never EVER do even as a kid (I do 45-50min sessions...10min warm up, 20-35min of running on average, with a cool down and maybe some walking in between 10min lengths of running). Of the running I do, I complete anywhere from 2-4miles plus any additional walking distance. I also do 20-30min of weight machines after.

My last period was over Memorial Day weekend but last weekend, the spotting I had turned into bleeding very similar to my regular period, only I'm about two weeks too early. Has that happened to anyone else? I know I need to consult a doctor (which I will) but I was wondering if anyone else has had that experience.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Sorry, i havent had that happen. Glad your going to see a doctor.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    when I really started getting serious about my fitness, my cycle went from 28 days... to 21 days. and I went and got birth control to regulate it. ain't nobody got time for that. ;)
  • DawnVanHaaften
    DawnVanHaaften Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just got back on the fitness wagon and my cycle is also doing the same. Although mine is even a bit worse than yours. Not only did it come early, but it stayed a whole extra week. My dr is recommending birth control for a short stint to help regulate as well, although I refused it as I tend to gain weight while on birth control. I will gladly just wait mother nature out this time around.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Not a lady, but any major stressor can cause an early period. A major theme of the stress response is the body cancels long term projects - having a baby being a pretty major one, the body can menstrate early to avoid having a baby during a time that might be too harsh to raise it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Mine was always irregular and any change in body made it worse.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    See your doctor.

Chances are it's nothing to worry about but it's a good idea to have it checked out to be sure.

My periods were very irregular but stabilized after I had my daughter. Since starting to lose weight 18 months ago, they've gotten irregular again. 14 day cycles. 68 day cycles. They're all over the place. If it gets to 60 days I take a pregnancy test but other than that I just ignore it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Weight loss has only changed my period to being less messy. I'm still regular. I am nearing that pre-perimenopause so there's the odd spotting at the end of my cycle, but from what I know that's normal. When I tried out protein powder shakes, I got a lot of spotting after drinking them and the spotting went away when I stopped. I haven't had weight loss affect when I get my period. I agree with seeing your doctor/OBGYN if you're concerned.
  • lovematthewchristopher
    lovematthewchristopher Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have lost 72 pounds, and my cycle was fine up until about three months ago. Now i have my cycle more often then usual! I too will be going to see a doctor, but i think it has alot to do with the exercise, losing the weight and entering that time of my life!
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I was always unregular, until I started the pill which was about during the same time I also started haing a better nutrition, fitness, and lost weight. Now I always fall on the same dates every month, it's truly amazing to finally be regular haha. But last month I got the same thing as you! I mean, my period wasn't due until 2 weeks later and I had a light (emphase light, but still unconvienient) bleeding for the entire week...I was worried, since I had dropped a lot of weight just before and it was early, i was wondering if it could be because of the weight loss being too harsh that I was losing my periods. But somehow, 2 weeks later I had an extremely abundant period once again. :| Confusing.
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yes, my cycle shifted two weeks when I went very low carb. I think it happened in month 3. I caution everyone taking any birth control to really know what you are taking and the side effects. Every Tim I've tried bc, it's made me gain a lot of weight, uncontrollable cravings, hormones swings, depression. Just be aware of what you are putting in your body and how it's affecting you. Good luck to everyone!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Bleeding two weeks before your period is often related to ovulation but could also be endometriosis or other issues, so do see your GYN. http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/bleeding-ovulation.html

When you're on the pill, it's called "breakthrough bleeding": http://www.empowher.com/sexual-well-being/content/bleeding-contraceptive-pill-what-causes-it
  • kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have always been pretty regular and easy, though when I was on BC things got weird, even on the lowest dose I gained weight and was a sobbing mess half the time. Once I got off it, I didn't get another period for 10 months because my hormones were all pissed off at me.
    In the last few years my periods have become more irritating. What used to be an easy 4-5 day thing became 5 days of cramping, 7-9 days of TOM, and cramping during ovulation too. In the last month i've drastically changed my eating habits (autoimmune elimination of anything that could possibly cause inflammation) and my period is set to begin tomorrow, going by last month. I've had no cramping, no irritability, no break outs, and my weight has only gone up .2lbs after holding steady for 3 days. It's been AWESOME.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    kellellie wrote: »
    I have always been pretty regular and easy, though when I was on BC things got weird, even on the lowest dose I gained weight and was a sobbing mess half the time. Once I got off it, I didn't get another period for 10 months because my hormones were all pissed off at me.
    In the last few years my periods have become more irritating. What used to be an easy 4-5 day thing became 5 days of cramping, 7-9 days of TOM, and cramping during ovulation too. In the last month i've drastically changed my eating habits (autoimmune elimination of anything that could possibly cause inflammation) and my period is set to begin tomorrow, going by last month. I've had no cramping, no irritability, no break outs, and my weight has only gone up .2lbs after holding steady for 3 days. It's been AWESOME.

Yes, my eating habits can absolutely affect my cycle, especially premenstrually.