Beating Diabetes

Options
2»

Replies

• kashe69
    kashe69 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
    My story is similar to yours. My doctor also wanted to put me on meds. I said no I have to try and I have literally worked my *kitten* off. I lost over 80 pounds and my levels are normal. It's been 9 months but I'm determined to stay drug free as long as I can
  • LarissaBienMiller
    LarissaBienMiller Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You have just summed up so much....how so much disease is fixable by a little willpower.... and how our country has succumbed to trillions of meds when we just need to be better stewards of our bodies. I have lost #30 and have also vowed never to be over 200 lbs ever again. I am a nurse and have just wanted to shake people and get them to do exactly what you did. Guess what... I bet you won't have back pain or need a knee replacement, either.... well done! Inspriational!
  • Guineagirl913
    Guineagirl913 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Great job! I'm hoping for the same. While I'm still on meds, I cut it down to half the amount and find when I exercise in the evening, my fasting bs is much better.
  • 0147lauren83
    0147lauren83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's really encouraging to read this ! Well done !! I don't have diabetes but did have gestational diabetes, my dad and uncles are type 2 diabetics and seeing the health problems my dad has had has made me make major changes :)
  • Sho0gy_D
    Sho0gy_D Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    So the big news of the day is I'm officially off my diabetes medication! We went to the doctor today and got the blood test results. My A1C was 5.8, down from 7.2 in December. 5.8 is more or less in the normal range. In December the doctor wanted to put me on a second medication as my A1C was high. I refused to be put on another drug. So I knuckled down, lost weight and started running. The pay off is I'm not on any medication at all! The doctor was almost as happy as I was! I owe a huge debt of gratitude to this site. I may not post all that often but I do read a lot of posts and so much of what you guys post makes sense. A lot of you probably don't realize how many people you affect with your wise words. Counting calories, getting active, running, it has all contributed to my success.

This is great!! I'm due for a 2nd blood draw in early July. My A1C was at 11.2 and I'm hoping to get down to at least 7 or else the doctor will add a higher dosage to my medication. I asked if dropping from 11.2 to <7 is possible in 2 months and he said that he has a patient that did more in 3 months. Whether or not it's true, I think he was challenging me to get off my butt and take Diabetes seriously. It's been about a month and I've dropped 20lbs so far and my blood sugar is consistently in range. I don't want to take meds, I don't want to rely on meds and I sure as hell don't want to take insulin shots.

Thank you Dave, you've inspired me more!
  • jessiecanjar
    jessiecanjar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow! Outstanding
  • shellkroth
    shellkroth Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    THAT IS SOOOO AMAZING!! YOU SHOULD BE VERY PROUD! WHAT AN INSPIRATION!
  • TracyV125
    TracyV125 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! Saying no to new meds, changing your lifestyle and being able to get off your old meds! Amazing job! Just awesome!
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel so relieved and proud to have achieved this. I ran my first three miler the other day and yesterday I ran 2 and a half miles. When I started I couldn't even run a mile. The more I succeed the more I'm inspired to go out and do more. This is my life now. I know I will never return to who I used to be, when that lifestyle is what led to my becoming diabetic in the first place.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!