Getting to the gym after a long work day.

Options
2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Just do it. I work with children under 5 years old. Sometimes my day is 11 hours door to door, including two hours of commute on the subway, and I still have to go afterward. I did it for as long as I could without a pre-work out, but admittedly, a little pre-workout has helped me on those super bad days. I also just cut out cardio completely which made it easier too.
  • myricariddick
    myricariddick Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not once you get in a routine of going strait after work (bring a change of clothes with you to work) it will be automatic. It will give you more energy in each day. I know my body adjusted to this with a metabolism boost because after years and years when I have a slump I feel so sluggish when I don't go.

Find a physical activity that you LIKE to do if the people bother you.
    I love dancing spinning jogging boxing etc... so I just find a way to do those activities during the week and just so happens they are also great forms of exercise.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I work out at home. I don't like crowds. I work for myself, so I set my own hours. When I went to the gym, I chose one open 24 hours and went late at night. Often, I was the only one there. :)

Now I work out at home.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Pack a gym bag, have a great playlist and just do it. Honestly there's no special magic or trick. Just have to go out there and do it.
  • VanillaGorilla808
    VanillaGorilla808 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I work 12-16 hours in my Law Enforcement job, I find after the shift if I dont immediately change hurry and go I will 'cool down' and get exhausted, maybe pack your clothes and head straight to the gym after work.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You just go... I usually leave home at 6am, finish at 5 then gym after. I don't go home in between or I'd likely pass out on the couch or get distracted by other things

Excuses don't get you closer to your goals!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You just go... I usually leave home at 6am, finish at 5 then gym after. I don't go home in between or I'd likely pass out on the couch or get distracted by other things

Excuses don't get you closer to your goals!

Right. That's a big thing too. Pack your gym bag and don't go home. I'd never make it back out half the time if I went home first. And the train drops me off two blocks from home/4 blocks from the gym.
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of taking classes - I love yoga and zumba, and actually get excited about going to the classes. If you do the exercise machines, have you considered running outside? It eliminates the need to take another trip out and also I think is more satisfying than the elliptical or treadmill or whatnot. Also, maybe find a friend to meet up with to work out with?

I also agree with the idea of making going to the gym just part of your daily routine. Personally, I like to go as soon as I get out of work around 5, go running or to yoga or something, then start the rest of my evening - either reading/relaxing or spending time with friends or doing errands or whatever.

• sarabrunning
    sarabrunning Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have to take my workout clothes to work and change before I leave. If I go home first the hour commute kills my motivation and it's all over. I stop and do a trail run on the way home. A 9-5 is great but can definitely drain you and make hitting the gym when it's not packed really hard. Good luck!
  • ashleighmxxx
    ashleighmxxx Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can totally sympathies with you when it comes to going to the gym when there are anlot of people around BUT needs must. I work on average 3-5 12 hour shifts per week & have to force myself to the gym after finishing a long 12 hours at 8pm at night. Generally it is quite when i go but on days off i like yourself tend to avoid going to the gym at busy times. At first when the gym is busy i always think to myself 'ahh people are watching me' & stuff but now i have the 'dont care' attitude. Everyone is there for the same reason either loosing weight, maintaining or gaining. Every time you really dont want to go just think of the end result how much fitter and healther you'll feel! I wish i had a mon-friday job i'd be at the gym every night but self motivation is key if your determined enough you'll do it! X
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    you plan it into your day just like anything else. Barring some crazy stuff going on or illness or whatever, I lift on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday regardless of whether I "feel like it" or not. I'ts part of my schedule just like going to work or anything else. Stop thinking of it as some kind of "extra" thing...

I often don't feel like going to work or mowing the lawn or doing the dishes...yet I do these things anyway...because they need doing.

Yep. This. Except Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I get home from work, DON'T sit down, change into gym clothes and head to the gym. If I sit down...it's game over. A lot of times I just tell myself to do 10 minutes and if I still want to leave, then I can leave. But by the time I get to the gym and start working, I feel better and never leave after just 10 minutes.

This is why I go straight from work. I get the bus to and from work and I take all my gym clothes with me so if I've been humping that lot around all day I'm going to the gym before home whether I feel like it or not. On days I'm not totally feeling up for it, I find that by the time I've done my warmup, I'm more in the mood. If I was to go home first, that's me done for the day, and then I feel guilty.