more potassium less carbs help

Need more potassium in my diet but watching my carbs so bananas are out any suggestions?

Replies

• MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    why all of the potassium posts all of a sudden...

am I missing something?

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Spinach, avacado, mushrooms, salmon are all high in potassium. If it's a cramping issue make sure you're well hydrated and you could try a potassium supplement and if needed an magnesium supplement. (always check with your doctor though before adding in supplements)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

am I missing something?
    Recent changes to dietary recommendations by nutrition councils. In particular, I think the UK recently changed it to be very high such that people are criticizing it as an unrealistic suggestion.
  • senecarr
    For low carbs, it looks like portebella and brown mushrooms are pretty good, particularly if you're discounting fibers and looking net carbs.
    Beets are a good source but you they're a little higher, depending on what range you're looking at.
    You might be getting more potassium than you think - it isn't mandatory to measure and label it, so usually only foods that want to advertise the amount put it on there. For example, I thought it was odd that my tyson chicken breasts had nothing listed for potassium, but USDA database / Wikipedia / Google / Wolfram Alpha all have potassium measurements for it.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    All you really have to do is limit/restrict the amount of processed, refined, premade foods (to say 10-20% total intake) and predominate your intake with whole, minimally processed foods found in nature. Potassium is rich in veggies, some fruits, and grains. Focusing on these foods will also boost your fiber, magnesium, and other beneficial nutrients. Coconut water and coffee are also high in potassium.

Remember not ignore dietary fat and protein -- whole foods are best for these categories as well. For instance, avocado and beef (not frozen tv dinners and 50-100% of your protein intake from shakes).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Potassium is in lots of foods. If you don't use the correct entries, they won't list the potassium, though.

Focus on using the non-asterisk entries to understand how much you are really getting if you don't already.
  • senecarr
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Potassium is in lots of foods. If you don't use the correct entries, they won't list the potassium, though.

Focus on using the non-asterisk entries to understand how much you are really getting if you don't already.
    People can have totally correct entries into MFP and still have missing potassium. Some producers don't bother to test the potassium level of their food for labeling.
  • lemurcat12
    The USDA entries I've checked all have it, which is what I was referring to. Is it possible some don't? I suppose so.

I agree lots of packaged foods don't have it.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    USDA doesn't require potassium labeling though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Like the others have said, your potassium levels may be just fine; just incomplete labelling/reporting on some foods. To limit more carb intake, replace with proteins.
  • lemurcat12
    _benjammin wrote: »
    USDA doesn't require potassium labeling though.

Right--the labels typically don't have it, but the USDA information on whole foods typically does IME (and thus the non asterisked entries do). Since I started using the non asterisked entries for possible with whole foods I've been able to see that my potassium is fine. So I recommend people use those when possible.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member

am I missing something?

I'm guessing that with the heat going up people are sweating more. Less water. more cramps. Potassium also helps with cramps. Get cramps, need more potassium or water.