Exercise Bike Calorie Counter

Options
AspenDan
AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 320lbs, 6'1, and I just used a recumbent exercise bike for exactly 30 mins, going almost exactly 7 miles (14mph average), varrying difficulty levels, with an average heart rate of 148...I'm SPENT...but the machine had all that info and said I only burned 200 cals....Are you kidding me? half an hour of insane effort afforded me a damn quest bar?? Any thoughts?

Replies

• lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Did you enter your weight into the machine? I'm 163lbs and at a pretty good pace burn roughly 10cal/min if this helps, speed avg around 25/26kph (16 mph) and gym says they calibrate devices regularly.

Check this link out published by Harvard re cals burned p/30 min by weight groups:
    health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm

While it doesn't list your group it may give you some more information :smile:

Hope this helps

L.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Well, the bad news is that 200 calories may be a bit generous. The thing that makes 30 minutes at 14mph seem like a lot of effort is probably your weight. You may have fat built up around your lungs and heart, which would make it more difficult to exercise. But keep at it and you'll improve.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Seems a bit off

Try again and make sure you have hit enter at the end of punching in your personal numbers

Work is work and you definitely burnt off serious calories

Good workout

• AspenDan
    Options
    Seems a bit off

Try again and make sure you have hit enter at the end of punching in your personal numbers

Good workout

Hey thanks for the support.
  • lalabrucey
    Options
    Seems a bit off

Good workout

^^Yep - this.

Kudos for getting on the thing and working it!
  • AspenDan
    Options
    lalabrucey wrote: »
    Seems a bit off

Good workout

^^Yep - this.

Kudos for getting on the thing and working it!

Thanks much! What exercise do you like to do?

• lalabrucey
    Options
    A bit of everything - I mix it up and spend either 10 or 15 mins per cardio machine so in a one hour session I do 4 or 5 machines. Other times I do some machines and some weights but normally in 15min chunks otherwise I get bored and slow down.

I love the cross/eliptical trainer as I can burn a lot more in the same time than the bike but if I do much more than about 15/20mins at once my feet feel weird.

It works for me anyway :smile: My Diary is open if you want to take a look
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Ignore the "speed" you really can't compare speed of an exercise bike to cycling outdoors. Your real speed is 0mph!

For recumbent exercise bike your weight is largely irrelevant for calorie burns as it's not a weight bearing exercise.

Main thought is - good for you, keep at it and your fitness and health will improve.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Ignore the "speed" you really can't compare speed of an exercise bike to cycling outdoors. Your real speed is 0mph!

For recumbent exercise bike your weight is largely irrelevant for calorie burns as it's not a weight bearing exercise.

Main thought is - good for you, keep at it and your fitness and health will improve.

I agree with him

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    My exercise bike is a cheapie. It gives the number of calories burned, but doesn't allow me to program in my stats. However, it's not recumbent and the handles move back and forth as well. It tells me that at an average of 14 mph that I burn nearly 300 calories in 30 minutes, which I don't quite believe. One of these days I'll get a fitbit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My exercise bike is a cheapie. It gives the number of calories burned, but doesn't allow me to program in my stats. However, it's not recumbent and the handles move back and forth as well. It tells me that at an average of 14 mph that I burn nearly 300 calories in 30 minutes, which I don't quite believe. One of these days I'll get a fitbit.

Fitbit is totally wrong device!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Any thoughts?

a heart rate monitor would be great for getting a more accurate figure. 200 cals for 30 mins is roughly what i get when spinning at a moderate pace, but i weigh around 170.
    So it looks like the bike is using a basic algorithm to calculate the calories burnt that doesn't take into account your height and weight.
  • marysamezz
    marysamezz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to get a heart rate monitor, I got a cheap one off amazon for ~$30 that goes through bluetooth to your phone, then automatically syncs with MFP. For cardio it's really the only way to know for sure how much your are burning.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts?

a heart rate monitor would be great for getting a more accurate figure. 200 cals for 30 mins is roughly what i get when spinning at a moderate pace, but i weigh around 170.
    So it looks like the bike is using a basic algorithm to calculate the calories burnt that doesn't take into account your height and weight.

Since he isn't going anywhere and he is just sitting and moving his legs, there's no reason to think that his weight would give him any different numbers than you. It is difficult to judge from people's heart rate, but 148 seems like a fairly low intensity exercise for a fat man.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Hmmm, I thought fitbit was the "in" thing these days, but what do I know? Actually, I have no desire to wear any device. Give me a regular pedometer any time! As long as the digital needle on the scale keeps going down, I'm good.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right. 30 min on a bike only gets me 150 cals.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Hmmm, I thought fitbit was the "in" thing these days, but what do I know? Actually, I have no desire to wear any device. Give me a regular pedometer any time! As long as the digital needle on the scale keeps going down, I'm good.

A fitbit won't really measure cycling well .. although some people put it in their sock

A HRM for steady-state cardio on a bike should work better

Or did you mean one of the 'spenny Fitbits that double as HRM .. I don't like them