DeadLifting and Wraps

Options
2»

Replies

• varatep
    varatep Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do the alternating hands grip and switch direction every few sets, or the hook grip. Hook grip can be brutal, on your thumbs though once you get to higher weight and higher reps. I DL raw :smile:
  • varatep
    varatep Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If it's an issue with the bar crunching up your skin, roll the bar into your fingers instead of the palm. When lifting the bar, the bar rolls down and puts pressure on your fingers, so starting off with the bar on your fingers and rolling it into your palms can prevent the squished skin.
    erojoy wrote: »
    Thank you for all of the great advice. I am definitely going to work on how I grip the bar as well as work on some grip strengthening exercises. I think I may have to pull the bar back into my palms more. My calluses are showing up at the middle of my fingers(just above the proximal phalange).

I'm going to reevaluate in a month and see if I'll purchase straps. Really really appreciate your help.

p.s. @CrumCPT its ok for ANYONE to wear lifting gloves. Women are not the exception :wink:

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    varatep wrote: »
    You can do the alternating hands grip and switch direction every few sets, or the hook grip. Hook grip can be brutal, on your thumbs though once you get to higher weight and higher reps. I DL raw :smile:

yes- definitely switch hands on the over under- I wasn't DLing that often 2 years ago- and I only got comfortable on one side- now I deadlift more sets and with more frequency that I need the over under- and I actually pinched a nerve because I over developed one side of my traps. Been 6-8 months trying to even it back out.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    reverse grip, and use lots of chalk
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have loads of arthritis in my fingers that reduces my grip. I switched to and over/under grip. I also use chalk when I get to where I'm having to really work (above maybe 200). I also bought one of those grip trainers that rock climbers use. I keep it in my car and if I am stuck at a light I get in a quick 10 reps.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I also love love love all my calluses and I will never wear gloves. Anyway, you can't wear them in competition. And who doesn't want a big @ss trophy?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    start getting in the habit of squeezing the bar as hard as you can, dont just hold it, squeeze it. That will help your grip and also increase your grip strength. Do that on every lift you do, not just deads.
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Thank you all of you. I'm seriously taking in all of this advice. I can't wait to get back in for a good DL set now.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    My thighs are much stronger than my grip strength.

So I don't see it as cheating to use wraps after 225 lbs. I like doing deadlifts and stiff leg deadlifts on the same day so I get lots of time holding the bar.

I can't hold the bar for 4 reps of 315 as I am working my way up. So I use straps to get the best full body workout.

My grip strength does no hold back my leg or back strength growth.

YMMV.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    My thighs are much stronger than my grip strength.

So I don't see it as cheating to use wraps after 225 lbs. I like doing deadlifts and stiff leg deadlifts on the same day so I get lots of time holding the bar.

I can't hold the bar for 4 reps of 315 as I am working my way up. So I use straps to get the best full body workout.

My grip strength does no hold back my leg or back strength growth.

YMMV.

I am sure the bold is true for most people.
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I use alternating reverse grip and chalk. And when I can't use chalk, I use gloves.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Been said in this thread, but it's the best advice here: chalk.

Mixed grip with chalk is the bomb.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty strong grip, and despite what others have said, I think when you are getting into really heavy weights (for me that would be high 300's to my max in the low 400's) your grip will fail before the rest of your body does. If you're trying to focus on deadlift, I don't think there is anything wrong with straps if you use them right.
  • CrumCPT
    CrumCPT Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @varatep, let's just agree to disagree
  • CrumCPT
    CrumCPT Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    erojoy wrote: »
    Thank you for all of the great advice. I am definitely going to work on how I grip the bar as well as work on some grip strengthening exercises. I think I may have to pull the bar back into my palms more. My calluses are showing up at the middle of my fingers(just above the proximal phalange).

I'm going to reevaluate in a month and see if I'll purchase straps. Really really appreciate your help.

p.s. @CrumCPT its ok for ANYONE to wear lifting gloves. Women are not the exception :wink:

Lifting gloves are perfectly fine if you have an issue with having tough hands.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »
    I have a pretty strong grip, and despite what others have said, I think when you are getting into really heavy weights (for me that would be high 300's to my max in the low 400's) your grip will fail before the rest of your body does. If you're trying to focus on deadlift, I don't think there is anything wrong with straps if you use them right.

I agree with you. I broke down and bought some straps, but I don't break them out until I need them (which is in the high 300's, as well).