Stopped Exercising for a week and dropped 2 pounds? Is this even possible?

Options
I weighed 131 the past 2 weeks and then today I hopped on the scale and it said 129. I'm not complaining but can someone explain how I'm losing weight without exercise?

Replies

• lowcarber87
    lowcarber87 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is mostly about what you eat, not how much exercise you do. If you want to be fit and healthy then exercising is imperative but you do lose weight without it.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Probably a calorie deficit. :)
    (or water weight)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    (or water weight)
    Both.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is mostly about what you eat, not how much exercise you do. If you want to be fit and healthy then exercising is imperative but you do lose weight without it.

This, and exercising can also cause your body to retain a little extra water while muscles repair. So it could be partially water weight loss, and partially caloric deficit.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I stopped going to the gym and the pounds came off. My guess is that we eat more after going to the gym and don't realize it.
  • oneallmama
    oneallmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    (or water weight)
    I think water weight might be it as well... I was chronically dehydrated when i worked out and never properly replenished my H2O. Now that I've slowed down with the exercise and have been drinking the same amount of water I guess my body is shedding the extra water weight.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Exercise does tend to cause you to retain water weight. Even though you sweat! Losing weight for me is ALL about exercising; everyone is different. It seems to kick-start my metabolism. But if exercising makes you want to eat more, then it can be counter-productive. Adjust, adjust, adjust until you find out what works best for you!
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    water, your muscles hold water when you're working out to repair them.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I had surgery and quit going to the gym I ended up losing 7lbs, I was really happy but when I went back to the gym I lost a lot of strength with it. then I wasnt so happy about it
  • fulltimelife
    fulltimelife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, water release, or highly likely: You stopped exercising, and you lost some of the muscle you previously gained.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, water release, or highly likely: You stopped exercising, and you lost some of the muscle you previously gained.

Muscle loss... in a week? O_o
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options

She wouldn't lose significant muscle mass in a week of not exercising, just like you don't build significant muscle mass in a week of exercising.
  • oneallmama
    oneallmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options

She wouldn't lose significant muscle mass in a week of not exercising, just like you don't build significant muscle mass in a week of exercising.
    I rode the Upright exercise bike this past Sunday and that was the last time I rode it. I'm planning on just working out 2-3 times a week for the sake of my health.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Muscle don't atrophy that quickly.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »
    I had surgery and quit going to the gym I ended up losing 7lbs, I was really happy but when I went back to the gym I lost a lot of strength with it. then I wasnt so happy about it

It's amazing how much strength you can build with regular exercise!