NO sugar diet

Options
jane987
jane987 Posts: 36 Member
HI

I'm just wondering if anybody has done the no sugar diet/detox? My friend and I are thinking about doing it although I am a little confused by it all....

A few questions:
* Do you eat completely raw food? I imagine you can't eat pasta sauces and things because they would have added sugar....
* Can you eat fruit? IT is high in natural sugar thus I'm thinking no...
* What are you able to eat at restuarants? Is this even possible?

If anybody can outline the diet and give any advice that would be great!

Thanks

Replies

• striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't even think that is possible nor healthy. Most foods contain sugar, even vegetables contain sugar (on the lower side, but still.)
  • kimboj41
    kimboj41 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have not gone completely raw but I have chosen to eat organic foods and they tend to have less sugar content....I did not eat any pastries, cookies, etc. when I eliminated sugar and I lost 6lbs the first week....but with all things I try I gave up and gave in to the sweets. Now, I try to drink green tea with two splenda packets to satisfy my sweet tooth.....I tried Agave Nectar and it tasted horrible to me.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I feel a lot better if I don't eat sugar and after a few weeks I stop craving it. I only eat food where sugar is the 5th ingredient on the label or after the 5th ingredient. I have found many foods (like tomatoe sauce and Newman's low fat salad dressing like this). I don't eat high sugar fruit like mangoes, pineapple and grapes because I feel the same as if I ate sugar but I do eat lower sugar fruit like berries, cantaloupe and honey dew melon and every so often an apple. But I also enter my calories here and exercise, because not eating sugar but eating a lot of other calories leads to weight gain for me. Good luck with your experiment. We all have different metabolisms and sugar doesn't feel good to me (same is true of other high high carb foods, like plain pastas, white breads, etc.)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    What are you thinking of when you say no sugar diet? Lactose is usually allowed (dairy) but sometimes not. Same with fructose in the form of fruits, but not added as a sweetener. I don't eat added sugar, but I eat fruit and dairy. I don't eat a raw diet, I cook most of my own food. It isn't that hard if you read labels. Some sugar is logical, like yeast needs it to grow so you usually eat it in bread. Occasionally I will have a "cheat" day like today I had pizza. I have done yeast free diets though where I made everything from scratch including my own tortillas and mayonnaise.

If you are doing it to cut the sugar craving usually you do not do fruit.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jane987 wrote: »
    HI

I'm just wondering if anybody has done the no sugar diet/detox? My friend and I are thinking about doing it although I am a little confused by it all....

A few questions:
    * Do you eat completely raw food? I imagine you can't eat pasta sauces and things because they would have added sugar....

Thanks

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    HI

A few questions:

Thanks

I would tell you what worked for me, but I just got shot down on a recent post for saying what worked for me rather than giving advice backed by science.... :/

Why are you seeking out questions from 3 years ago to refuse to answer?

Seems a tiny bit passive aggressive.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    HI

A few questions:

Thanks

I would tell you what worked for me, but I just got shot down on a recent post for saying what worked for me rather than giving advice backed by science.... :/

So instead you bumped a three year old thread to complain about it?
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    HI

A few questions:

Thanks

I didn't realize that it was an old thread. I, myself, am trying to learn more about limiting sugar. That's all.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    877013.gif

I mean really... pulling up zombie threads to be dramatic. So in.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    WTH.

zombie-thread.jpg

Imagine that. Two sugar is the debil threads on the front page of the Food & Nutrition section. With the same name, even.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    HI

A few questions:

Thanks

I didn't realize that it was an old thread. I, myself, am trying to learn more about limiting sugar. That's all.

What do you want to know?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Seems like it should be covered by (1) identify what you eat with sugar, if you don't already know; (2) eat less of those things if you wish.