For the lifters out there!

Options

Replies

• BuckyArden33
    BuckyArden33 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    at least 3 times a week when am in tip top condition. knee problems at the minute tho :(
  • sleevedjaimi
    sleevedjaimi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Does anyone still have a large amount of weight to lose and still lifting? I would guess I should be doing cardio as well as lifting. Have about 60 more lbs to my goal weight.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I do cardio.
    Walk almost daily, try to incorporate yoga, I cycle, hike, ski, run (sorta).
    I like it. So I do it.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Eat right to look good in clothes.
    Lift weights to look good naked.
    Cardio to do both of those as long as possible. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cardio so I do it regularly. Not a ton at a time--usually 2-3 mile runs, 30 minute walks, or short (10 minute) conditioning workouts.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Does anyone still have a large amount of weight to lose and still lifting? I would guess I should be doing cardio as well as lifting. Have about 60 more lbs to my goal weight.

I started lifting half way through my weight loss and did walking the whole time I lost weight and now maintaining. I lost 121 pounds. :)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    It's gotten to the point where I THINK I'll do some cardio, sit down on a stationary bike, pedal lightly, and have difficulty making it 5 minutes. The only reason I pushed myself to finish 5 the other day was because there was someone next to me and I felt self conscious finishing after 2 minutes.

This SO me. Only it's the elliptical for me. There's always someone next to me that has been on it for an hour and I feel like I have to get in at least 5 of the 20 minutes I set it for. I hate cardio.

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I do running, biking, swimming, etc but I enjoy it, and I find I feel better when I do some of both (lifting and cardio) rather than concentrate on only one.

As to whether it's necessary, that depends on what you mean... necessary for what?
  • sleevedjaimi
    sleevedjaimi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

I started lifting half way through my weight loss and did walking the whole time I lost weight and now maintaining. I lost 121 pounds. :)

Thanks! I am going to keep walking...I feel comfortable with that balance.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    It's gotten to the point where I THINK I'll do some cardio, sit down on a stationary bike, pedal lightly, and have difficulty making it 5 minutes. The only reason I pushed myself to finish 5 the other day was because there was someone next to me and I felt self conscious finishing after 2 minutes.

This SO me. Only it's the elliptical for me. There's always someone next to me that has been on it for an hour and I feel like I have to get in at least 5 of the 20 minutes I set it for. I hate cardio.

I hear you. One time I was eating hard candies while on the step mill. Lasted 5 minutes before I was like...what am I doing even?
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I do cardio. I try to get at least two runs in a week. Usually only about 3 miles. I do it because I like it, though. It's certainly not going to do more for my body than lifting will as far as "toning" goes. Its not possible for most people to build muscle while eating at a deficit. Doing cardio regularly will give you a higher calorie allowance so if you want to eat more, its a plus.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I swim 1 or 2 days a week because I can't help it. I walk/jog with the dog 6-8 miles a week because she deserves it and it's a good workout when I can't lift, but otherwise I'm lifting.

Cardio is good for heart and lung health and since I'm old I care about that now too....... ;)
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I do a little cardio after my strength training session - 15 minutes of elliptical, stepper or incline walking. I do a couple of circuit classes a week that I consider my 'cardio'. I am also training for a 10k (but haven't actually run for a couple of weeks -oops!)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »

I hate the elliptical.
    I'd rather 20 minutes on the stairmaster than 5 on the elliptical.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I lift and I cycle. as a matter of general fitness, I generally recommend some cardio work as well as resistance work.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I do cardio when I'm told to do cardio. Or "light aerobic conditioning" as it normally shows up on my programs.

Fortunately it isn't frequently that it shows up.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I run 2-3 miles, 1-2x a week, literally just because Zombieland told me to.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I really don't LIKE doing cardio. But I go through phases of running- where I'm like - I'm cutting- I like chocolate- I should run- and I start running.

So like right now- I'm running- aim for anywhere between 5-10 miles a week- my longest runs are never more than 5ish.

Just depends on what you're needs and wants are.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I run 2-3 miles, 1-2x a week, literally just because Zombieland told me to.

It is rule #1, after all.

50415-Zombieland-Rule-1-Cardio-gif-Yoxf.gif
    Exactly. I don't have to be the fastest -- I just have to be faster than some of my neighbors.