Help for getting my breathing under control while running

Options
kbrob14
kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
Hey all! I just started the C25K challenge. I feel that I'm doing fairly well with it, just need any tips on how to get my breathing under control during the running portions! Thanks!

Replies

• ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Run slower.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Run slower.

this

you want to run at a "conversational pace" - you should be able to talk to somebody without little or no huffing and puffing
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I try running a bit slower while consciously focusing on my breathing. Telling myself/making myself, "Breath in slowly, breath out slowly.". Takes practice, but worked for me. I had to train myself not to let my breathing match my pace. That my breathing was independent of my stride. Good luck! This worked for me, hope it helps you.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I watch my pace. I'd slow up a little till you master that pace then slowly work your pace. Good luck with your training!
  • lbkrillin
    lbkrillin Posts: 19
    Options
    in through the nose, out through the mouth? I dont really do this but i heard it helps. I personally try to go with the music.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I take a breath in for two steps and then out for two steps. If I can get a rhythym going, I have an easier go.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Your breathing will also improve as your endurance improves, by week 5 you will be amazed by how well you are breathing on the longer runs.
  • mamaredhead
    mamaredhead Posts: 112
    Options
    Whenever I start running I very quickly fall into a rhythm of "in-in" "out-out-out-out", i.e. two steps of breathing in and four steps of breathing out. This I had to train for a short time but now it comes very naturally. And controlling it this way sort of turns my brain off. Great way of relaxing ...
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, it didn't matter how slow I went I was always out of breath. Finally, a friend of mine said he has to breath deep in through his mouth and blow three or four short puffs out. It works, I did it and have been good ever since. Sounds crazy I know.
  • twallace67
    twallace67 Posts: 3
    Options
    your breathing hard because your V02 Max is low. Try incorporating high intensity intervals into your training routine
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    When I first started running I worried about the same thing. What I figured out was to stop thinking about it. It will just take care of itself. You body will find it's own rhythm.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Depending om how fast I'm running (which is never really fast!) I try to breathe in for 3 steps, and out for 3 steps (for example) you may need to switch to 2 or 4, depending on whats best for you
  • kcsmalley
    kcsmalley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I try to breath a certain rythm that feels good in comparision to my foot steps like breath in is 2 steps and breath out is 3 steps. I very seldom
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    My dad is an ultra runner and he always said that if you need to stop and walk to catch your breath, then do it! No shame, it'll get easier for you the more consistent and longer you run.

Good luck and God bless :)
  • Kiwi_09
    Kiwi_09 Posts: 65
    Options
    in through the nose, out through the mouth? I dont really do this but i heard it helps. I personally try to go with the music.

This.
    Once you can master this running becomes so much easier. I used to do track in junior high/high school and we were told to do this and it makes a HUGE difference.
    Especially when running out doors because wind and cold air really dries out your throat if you're breathing in through your mouth.
  • DeckerHL
    DeckerHL Posts: 2
    Options
    I too struggled with my breathing while jogging when I first started out, but now I've got it down! I recommend you breath however's most comfortable for you. For me, it's in and out through my mouth since my allergies make breathing in through my nose difficult. Focus on deep breaths that come from the bottom of your stomach and not your rib cage. You don't have to be able to hold a conversation while running when first starting out. You'll master that later on. Good luck!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start running I very quickly fall into a rhythm of "in-in" "out-out-out-out", i.e. two steps of breathing in and four steps of breathing out. This I had to train for a short time but now it comes very naturally. And controlling it this way sort of turns my brain off. Great way of relaxing ...

This ^^

As a beginner runner, it'll take some time to get this, but focusing on your breathing makes the distance go fast :-)

This is also a good way to breathe if you want to calm yourself down; you can practice it anywhere => in bed before sleeping, in line at the store, parked on the freeway during 'rush' hour, taking a mental break at work etc.

I used this technique for years running marathon distances--it's relaxing and is an automatic way to keep from running too fast a pace. If you want to run fast/sprints, that's a whole other deal. But you didn't ask about sprinting.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    This article is good for explaining how to breath while running:

http://www.marathonguide.com/training/coachmindy/everybreath.cfm
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

This.
    Once you can master this running becomes so much easier. I used to do track in junior high/high school and we were told to do this and it makes a HUGE difference.
    Especially when running out doors because wind and cold air really dries out your throat if you're breathing in through your mouth.

Me too. Our coaches also said that it helps delay the build up of lactic acid in your muscles (that fatigued feeling you get when running).
  • myowncrazycool
    myowncrazycool Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I used to have problems with breathing too. It didn't seem to matter how slow or fast I ran I just couldn't get down a rhythm with my breathing. Since I've been going to Bikram Yoga (hot yoga...you must focus on your breathing to get through the class and there are breathing exercises too) my breathing is GREAT!!! I can run faster than I ever thought possible (only thought it wasn't possible because of the breathing...my body wasn't tired). Try it...but when you start out and you feel like you just can't take it, lay down until you can get back up with the group again. Just try to stay in the room. Eventually, you will learn how to use your breath to get you through the movements and sustain you through the class. You will see vast improvements when you breathe and run too.

Good luck!!:flowerforyou: