Women: Hot Flashes, mood swings & weight gain... not havin' it!

Options
13»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I am turning 50 on Friday. :D

At the moment I am doing OK with the perimenopause thing.

My OBGYN wants me to take progesterone if my TOM has gone over 90 days. I had to have a D&C last yr due to having "issues".

I do feel so tired though. I really hate that part.

The bio-identical progesterone called Prometrium helped get my periods back on track when they were every 6 weeks to three months.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I adore Dr. Christiane Northrup's Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing. She's helped me get through some difficult times with fibroids. There's a chapter on menopause. If you're interested, check to see if it's available in your library system - it is in mine.

She's also written The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health During the Change, which I don't yet own. I'll have to read it again; it's been about five years.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I HATE HOT FLASHES!!!!

They're getting ridiculous and I'm having one this minute, so am more irritated than normal, but I always hate them.

I avoid pills that I don't need because I take so many damn pills and because I'd just rather not take anything I don't absolutely need. So, I'm not looking into HRT, but sure get why people do!

This is horrid. I go dunk my head in the pool sometimes just to be done with it. Sometimes I jump in. I used to wash my suits out after a daily swim, but now I don't bother because there is an excellent chance I'll be hopping in again.

These night sweats and the inability to go back to sleep SUCK!

The periods are now leaning more toward less of them that the "a bunch in a row" thing, so yay that. If I never had another, I'd be thrilled.

The issue nobody discusses because it's improper - that is coming and going and it sucks.

What was God thinking when he created woman? "Let there be weeks of blood. Let there be pain with childbirth. Let there be menopause." I think he could've come up with a better system.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,152 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm 48 and my gynecologist tells me I am right in the middle of perimenopause.

Over the past 16 weeks, I have lost 15 kg. That was the fastest, easiest weight loss I've experienced since I was in my mid-twenties. :)

A couple additional comments:

-- I cannot use hormone replacement therapy. I'm on my own if I start to experience symptoms again.

-- I was experiencing almost daily hot flashes right up till my gynecologist removed a large polyp from my uterus in January. Then they stopped, and I've been feeling much better since.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Hot flashes are hell. Mine were 1 every hour lasting 5 min. My doctor also refused hormone therapy for me. I've had flashes for 7 years and now they are slowing down. I started on MFP 2 1/2 years ago with 30 pounds to lose and lost 20 fairly quickly and easily. The last 10 just won't go, but I don't care how long it takes, and I am happy to maintain and not gain back the 20. I didn't do any elimination dieting--I just followed MFP recomendations. I immediately felt better and started losing. It can be done, you just need more patience. Best of luck to you all. B)
  • sweetd6
    sweetd6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I went through a very short peri-menopause between the ages of 46 to 49, which only included feelings of being too warm for the temperature and minor hot flashes. My last period happened at 49 and I was still 112 lbs. for years after (my weight since my late 30's), so I thought I had gotten away with menopausal symptoms all together. I did need vagifem (a vaginal tablet of bio identical estrogen to prevent vaginal dryness) which I started one year after periods stopped. Some time in my mid 50's, I gained about 12 lbs. for no reason (you can say calories in, calories out all you want, I know I was eating and moving the exact same way I had been all along). And this weight is VERY hard to lose. I lose about 1/2 lb. a week, even on 1000 cal. a day, and that's what MFP says I should expect, age matters!

After lots of research, I decided to start bio-identical hormones in my mid 50's, very low doses of bi-est, progesterone and testosterone along with vaginal estriol. There are European studies that show small doses of bio-identical hormones (gotten from plants, not horses) improve quality of life, health, bones and heart health. These studies are not done in the U.S. because there is no profit to be made from bio-identical hormones, and we're all about the almighty profit here, no one REALLY cares about health.

I don't use the dosages women like Suzanne Sommers use - she uses huge dosages that actually give her periods (who wants those forever anyway??) I use very small dosages that make me feel more like myself, and if you've been through menopause, you know what I mean. And no, it hasn't helped with weight loss lol, that is still going to be SLOW, but it's helped with me having the energy to go to the gym and walk a lot, and THAT helps with weight loss.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you've not yet read them:
    "What Can I eat: Menopause Diet" by Vivianne Parnell is great for ideas for foods to feel better, and "Before the Change: Taking Charge of your Perimenopause" by Ann Louise Gittleman for discussions of lifestyle changes, including herbs and bio-identical hormones, are both good.

I used the bio-identicals to get through the worst of it. These days I'm using a menopause support formula for the hot flashes and fatigue, and focusing on reducing the refined carbs in my diet, and eating more fish and soy. And it's all seeming to help (either that or I'm done ha).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IMIFLM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Good luck to you all, this can be hard, especially during summer!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    "What Can I eat: Menopause Diet" by Vivianne Parnell is great for ideas for foods to feel better, and "Before the Change: Taking Charge of your Perimenopause" by Ann Louise Gittleman for discussions of lifestyle changes, including herbs and bio-identical hormones, are both good.

I used the bio-identicals to get through the worst of it. These days I'm using a menopause support formula for the hot flashes and fatigue, and focusing on reducing the refined carbs in my diet, and eating more fish and soy. And it's all seeming to help (either that or I'm done ha).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IMIFLM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

You said it sister!
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of it myself. Dr. won't prescribe hormones unless the hot flashes are "seriously compromising my quality of life", and although they were very annoying I couldn't really say that they were that extreme. A friend recommended an over the counter herbal thing, Wal-mart version of Estroven, I think it's called Estroblend. Within about 3 weeks the hot flashes were gone (down from 10-12 per day), I'm losing weight a lot easier, and I feel almost normal again (as close as I ever was to normal, lol). Told my Dr. this and she said she is not totally sold on them (though there may be some things in them that help some people) but there is nothing harmful in them so I should go for it if they are helping. I can only speak for me and my friend that told me about them, but they are cheap and safe and to us, a miracle. Hope this helps someone!!
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    SlenderClassyElegant Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    What was God thinking when he created woman? "Let there be weeks of blood. Let there be pain with childbirth. Let there be menopause." I think he could've come up with a better system.

What doesn't kill us....smiley-sport017.gif

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    qb63 wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of it myself. Dr. won't prescribe hormones unless the hot flashes are "seriously compromising my quality of life", and although they were very annoying I couldn't really say that they were that extreme. A friend recommended an over the counter herbal thing, Wal-mart version of Estroven, I think it's called Estroblend. Within about 3 weeks the hot flashes were gone (down from 10-12 per day), I'm losing weight a lot easier, and I feel almost normal again (as close as I ever was to normal, lol). Told my Dr. this and she said she is not totally sold on them (though there may be some things in them that help some people) but there is nothing harmful in them so I should go for it if they are helping. I can only speak for me and my friend that told me about them, but they are cheap and safe and to us, a miracle. Hope this helps someone!!

Many of the same ingredients as my product. Heck, if it works for us, it works for us!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I think we're all just wonderfully different and what works for one may not work for somebody else, so it's a matter of trial and error a lot of times.

I've been post-menopausal for a few years and know for sure that two things will trigger a hot flash: 1. stress, and 2. salt overload. I also won't do HRT and have tried herbs, OTC Estro-products, and homeopathic recipes (like eating high amounts of soy), but none seemed to truly help. Avoiding salt and stress is the closest I can come to minimizing hot flashes. Seriously-- I overdo it on Fat Free Pringles and bam! I'm having a cycle of hot flashes an hour later. I'm guessing for me it's possibly tied into a spike in blood pressure.

Although in all honesty- based solely on my own experience- if I had to choose between "the curse" every month and hot flashes, I'll take the hot flashes every time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My experience in perimenopause is that exercise is key to controlling hot flashes and mood swings. Absolutely KEY for me. I'm sure I would have killed someone by now without it. Plus, it has the added benefit of preserving muscle and bone.

Dieting is harder now for me. Partly due to PMS type symptoms randomly and often, but also because I'm just not as obsessed with being thin anymore. I've been thin and I know it doens't really make anything better other than how my clothes fit.

My doctor (not GYN, my PCP) suggested a high fiber diet (45g per day) and I will say it has made the whole losing weight process easier for me.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am perimenopausal and had terrible symptoms. I am very happily on HRT. The alarming study that caused most doctors to recommend against it has been qualified at this point, and neither my primary nor gyno had any reservations about prescribing HRT. As for "putting off transition," by the time I am ready to go off of it, I will be in complete menopause, and I will be able to taper what will be a known measure of hormone in my system, as opposed to riding the crazy fluctuations I was before HRT. Each woman needs to measure the risks for themselves, but I worry that some women suffer through horrible symptoms based on outdated medical information.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    sweetd6 wrote: »
    I went through a very short peri-menopause between the ages of 46 to 49, which only included feelings of being too warm for the temperature and minor hot flashes. My last period happened at 49 and I was still 112 lbs. for years after (my weight since my late 30's), so I thought I had gotten away with menopausal symptoms all together. I did need vagifem (a vaginal tablet of bio identical estrogen to prevent vaginal dryness) which I started one year after periods stopped. Some time in my mid 50's, I gained about 12 lbs. for no reason (you can say calories in, calories out all you want, I know I was eating and moving the exact same way I had been all along). And this weight is VERY hard to lose. I lose about 1/2 lb. a week, even on 1000 cal. a day, and that's what MFP says I should expect, age matters!

After lots of research, I decided to start bio-identical hormones in my mid 50's, very low doses of bi-est, progesterone and testosterone along with vaginal estriol. There are European studies that show small doses of bio-identical hormones (gotten from plants, not horses) improve quality of life, health, bones and heart health. These studies are not done in the U.S. because there is no profit to be made from bio-identical hormones, and we're all about the almighty profit here, no one REALLY cares about health.

I don't use the dosages women like Suzanne Sommers use - she uses huge dosages that actually give her periods (who wants those forever anyway??) I use very small dosages that make me feel more like myself, and if you've been through menopause, you know what I mean. And no, it hasn't helped with weight loss lol, that is still going to be SLOW, but it's helped with me having the energy to go to the gym and walk a lot, and THAT helps with weight loss.

THIS. This is evidence based medicine. The number of studies showing the benefits of HRT -- bioidentical HTR in particular -- is staggering. There is one VERY FLAWED study that showed a risk of plaque rupture with premarin and provera (which are not bioidentical) in women over age 63 who had never been on HRT before. The Nurses' Health Study showed a small increase in breast cancer if estrogen is administered for more than 20 years without concurrent progesterone administration. (Take progesterone, the risk goes away.)

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Bookmarking this thread.
    Some really helpful info.
    I reckon it's "just around the corner" for me and i'm absolutely dreading it. :/
  • scary_mary73
    scary_mary73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been peri-menopausal for a couple of years now, I didn't realise what it was at first as I didn't get hot flushes straight away just lots of other symptoms.

I had a hysterectomy in January and had menopause symptoms hit me like a truck afterwards! I kept my ovaries so the symptoms have settled down a bit now.

I am in 2 minds about HRT, I want to feel like myself again, I don't know how much of what I am feeling is due to peri-menopause and how much is due to the surgery?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I'm going to the library tomorrow and ordering these if I can.

This hot flash thing is getting out of control. Sometimes they're coming one on top of the other. I'd heard women - old women - complain about it, but really never understood. Now I do.

And I seriously do not care for the idea that I am one of the old women complaining about hot flashes because I really do not feel that I'm like those old women. I'm like "How did this happen?! Where do a complain?!"

There ought to be a form. I have a grievance.

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy in January and had menopause symptoms hit me like a truck afterwards! I kept my ovaries so the symptoms have settled down a bit now.

I am in 2 minds about HRT, I want to feel like myself again, I don't know how much of what I am feeling is due to peri-menopause and how much is due to the surgery?

Because you have had a hysterectomy, you may be able to go on estrogen-only HRT. The progesterone is generally taken only to prevent endometrial cancer. Some people feel it makes them a little perkier, but it's something you can feel more free weighing as you don't have the risk of that specific cancer. I do take synthetics, but the estrogen is by patch, so it bypasses the liver. I don't have a dog in the bio-identical fight because I don't fear the synthetics but some people prefer the bio-identicals and if they feel better about them, that's what they should do. My doctors will prescribe bio-identicals but the prescription needs to be filled by a compounding pharmacist and my insurance does not cover it (I don't have any ideas about how expensive it is).
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    What I would be sincerely interested to know, is if anyone has had luck with using any supplements or can certain foods help to ease these symptoms?

Would love any feedback or helpful stories if you're willing to share.

MFP has a Near or Post Menopausal group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group