Protein powders and IBS - Suggestions?

Options
My hubby has developed severe IBS-type symptoms over the last couple of years, and I'm convinced it comes down to his use of whey-based protein powders. So, now looking to remove excess lactose from his diet as it seems to be a huge trigger for attacks.

I've been reading up on alternate solutions, and the list of vegan-based supplement is somewhat overwhelming, so I am hoping that some of you can offer suggestions/reviews on products you use?

Ideally, looking for both a protein supplement as well as a meal replacement.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends has severe IBS, and she uses Arbonne as a meal replacement protein shake. Works wonders! Her issues haven't been nearly as bad since starting on it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Why not just get protein from real food that doesn't trigger the IBS symptoms?
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Whey isn't the issue... His overall diet, exercise routine or lackthereof, genetics, and medical condition is.

Was he also diagnosed lactose intolerant, or just assuming that? A whey isolate would be an option if lactose intolerant.

Nevertheless, ideal protein intake is actually quite easy to hit without the use of protein powder. All of these foods are rich in protein:
    • Poultry
    • Pork
    • Beef or veal
    • Game meats
    • Cottage cheese
    • Cheese in general
    • Sausages
    • Jerky
    • Sashimi
    • Fresh Fish
    • Canned Fish
    • Caviar
    • Wasabi peas
    • Beans, lentils, legumes
    • Eggs
    • Greek yogurt
    • Milk
    • Nuts and seeds
    • Nut butters
    • Mushrooms
    • Liver and other organ meats
    • Fermented soy
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the input, and yes, real food is the better solution for sure. He is a healthy man, works out regularly and does not have any underlying health issues aside from the IBS symptoms & what was once only a mild lactose intolerance that now seems to be more of an issue.

The shakes are a convenience, as it is sometimes easier to drink when working on an assembly line than eating a meal.

Again, if anyone has found a supplement that works for them that doesn't contain whey/egg I'd appreciate the input.
  • Marilyn0924
    Options
    Anyone?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have IBS (or had). Whey really isn't the cause for it, I don't have any idea what caused it. But having whey didn't aggravate it at all.

• julie2407
    julie2407 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Pea Protein? Hemp Protein?
  • julie2407
    julie2407 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't have IBS issues, but I use a Neways product that's pea protein based that I really like.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Try the Vega One, All-In-One Nutritional Shake. This is what I drink. Lots of good stuff without dairy.
  • Marilyn0924
    Options
    julie2407 wrote: »
    Pea Protein? Hemp Protein?

I was thinking this as well, but there are just so many out there. Just wanted to cast a net to get a little more info on vegan protein solutions and preferences. I've tried a couple over the years, and most were quite distasteful.
  • mjmartin0907
    mjmartin0907 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Marilyn, I suffer from IBS-type symptoms although the doctors haven't been able to diagnose me with anything and regular whey protein tears me up something fierce. My friend suggested to me 2 months ago (and it's worked GREAT for me) is fast-digesting protein instead. You can get a 2 lb tub of Arnold Schwarzenegger Iron Whey Protein at Walmart for $21.97. Great value for people who have sensitive stomachs versus switching to a completely non-whey solution that drives up the price immensely. Hope this helps!
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I like Garden of Life Raw Protein
  • nomad5326
    nomad5326 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If he has been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS, he may not be able to take whey protein powder. Whey protein powder is made from cow’s milk and is one of the two primary proteins found in dairy. Most Dr's will tell you dairy is a common trigger for IBS. A whey protein alternate is isolate which is filtered to remove the lactose, fat and carbs. To see if he can use it, he should eliminate all dairy products from his diet for a couple weeks, then introduce whey and record how he responds. No symptoms, GTG but continue to monitor. If he develops symptoms then he will know it's a no-go and should ask his Dr if he can try dairy-protein free shakes made from soy, hemp or brown rice. He'll get about the same amount of protein from these. What will help him is more smaller meals spread out to break down the fiber overload he may be experiencing. He should also be taking probiotics and glutamine. My brother has IBS and my daughter has Crohn's Disease so we had to try a couple different options. My brother is isolate tolerable. My daughter drinks Boost as she could not handle the lactose of ensure. Hope this helps, I am NOT a doctor, so take it with a grain of salt. Cheers, Michael
  • mommy2TandN
    mommy2TandN Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am intolerant to dairy (and also was diagnosed with IBS years ago... though I highly suspect it was really just my dairy intolerance). I use Pure Paleo. It was recommended by my doctor. It's not vegan though (the protein comes from grass-fed cows). It's expensive, but I like the taste of it mixed with almond milk.
  • quinnyplh
    quinnyplh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    There's loads of protein powders derived from alternative sources just more expensive :( soya, rice etc etc all have protein powders, maybe they will help I don't where your based but tesco had some in the UK I bought my dad some as he is fighting cancer and wanted something to give him a protein boost without coming from dairy products
  • Marilyn0924
    Options
    Much appreciated all, thank you :)
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have IBS. For me the trigger for IBS is fat. If there is a high fat content in the food then cramps and diarrhea is almost a given. What has helped me is fiber. The more fiber in my diet then the less the fat affects me. I try to limit eating out and any meat i eat has to be lean.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

I have a lot of digestive issues with more than a few protein powders that are out there. I just switched to Sunwarrior Clasic Protein that is made up of brown rice. It's Gluten, Dairy, and Soy free. It contains a good amount of protein that is easily digested. Here's a link if you want to see the ingredeants: sunwarrior.com/store/chocolate-protein-500g.html
  • Klhernandez81
    Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Try the Vega One, All-In-One Nutritional Shake. This is what I drink. Lots of good stuff without dairy.

I second Vega One. I have an immune allergy to dairy and any dairy (cows milk) byproduct such whey, casein, etc. I like Vega One as it is plant based, has tons of nutrients, fiber and vitamins (50% of our daily req), is low calorie and holds 15g protein. For an after workout, try their sport performance, low cal, 25g of protein!
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My husband has IBS,
    It was so bad as a child he had to be on muscle relaxants. As an adult it is much better, but dairy is certainly an issue for him and we avoid it. Oddly enough, he drank some of the vega nutritional shake I bought (and didn't care for) and he felt terrible after drinking it, had some of the worst symptoms he has had in a long time. I am guessing the fiber content might have been an issue, and it does say on the packaging that it may cause intestinal issues the first few times someone uses it. Your guy might have more success on a low elimination diet, similar to what is used for managing crohns and eating his proteins rather than drinking them. I think there are vegan proteins that don't have the fiber content of the vega ones, so those might work. I know it is so odd and intuitively you would think fiber should help IBS, but it has the opposite effect on my guy.