A fruit is a fruit is a fruit!

Options

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I am allergic to oranges. They make me break out with itchy bumps. I guess it's the citrus. I'm probably allergic to grapefruit too, but I don't like it. I still eat oranges, just not everyday.

Not to be captain buzzkill, but if you get hives from oranges you should really not continue to eat them. Allergies get worse with each exposure.

Then you definitely don't need to be eating oranges!!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    There is something called "Oral Allergy Syndrome", which is based on seasonal allergies and how the body processes the fruit like a pollen.

http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/types-food-allergy/oral-allergy-syndrome
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I find the statement "I'm allergic to fruit" to be very suspect and almost impossible.

First, there is a difference between a food sensitivity and allergic response.

Second, it is just too general to be believable. Such as, does this mean raw fruit, cooked fruit, fruit as an ingredient in another food?

Just venting as the husband of a woman who has many sensitivities and allergies. My wife has had the skin tests and the blood work to determine her triggers. Without this testing, people are just tossing around buzz words and don't know what they are talking about.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Yes...and when people claim allergies that they don't have, it confuses everybody and puts people with serious issues at risk.

Lots of cooks get the impression that they can slip "just a little bit" of x into a dish and somebody ends up in the hospital or dead from anaphylactic shock.

It's just not a good thing to do.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Yes...and when people claim allergies that they don't have, it confuses everybody and puts people with serious issues at risk.

Lots of cooks get the impression that they can slip "just a little bit" of x into a dish and somebody ends up in the hospital or dead from anaphylactic shock.

It's just not a good thing to do.

Yep. So many people claim they are allergic when they either just don't like something or have a minor intolerance. It downplays all true allergies. I once had a customer in a restaurant tell me that she was allergic to dark meat. Huh? White meat from the chicken was fine, but she absolutely couldn't have dark meat. :|

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Who are you calling a fruit???
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I did see the one with the food allergy and asked if it was a medical condition. Didnt see the answer, but it could have just been a dsilike, which is different ofc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason, the forums the past couple of days are contributed by people who either claim they are allergic to fruit or just don't like it. Then they name numerous alternatives to fruit, most of which are (egads!) fruit!

Just so you know, the following are actually fruits:

Avocado, beans, peapods, corn kernels, cucumbers (which includes pickles), grains, nuts, olives peppers, pumpkin, squash, sunflower seeds and tomatoes. Vegetables include celery (stem), lettuce (leaves), cauliflower and broccoli (buds), and beets, carrots and potatoes (roots).

Hope this helps everyone.

I don't think is correct. Nuts and seeds are not fruits, the (often inedible) pods that hold them are. Root vegetables and tubers are not fruits, they are roots and tubers. Flowering vegetables like broccoli, even the flowers, are not fruits.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yes, the word "allergy" is certainly misused. I would think those posts were a little ridiculous if my daughter didn't do the same thing.

Theoretically, fructose intolerance does exist, but it is life threatening and diagnosed fairly early in life. At this point my daughters issue may be (at least a little bit) psychogenic. In other words, she believes certain fruits and juices make her vomit and it is her belief that then causes the reaction.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason, the forums the past couple of days are contributed by people who either claim they are allergic to fruit or just don't like it. Then they name numerous alternatives to fruit, most of which are (egads!) fruit!

Avocado, beans, peapods, corn kernels, cucumbers (which includes pickles), grains, nuts, olives peppers, pumpkin, squash, sunflower seeds and tomatoes. Vegetables include celery (stem), lettuce (leaves), cauliflower and broccoli (buds), and beets, carrots and potatoes (roots).

I don't think is correct. Nuts and seeds are not fruits, the (often inedible) pods that hold them are. Root vegetables and tubers are not fruits, they are roots and tubers. Flowering vegetables like broccoli, even the flowers, are not fruits.
    It depends on what definition of "fruit" is being used:
    - part of a ripened ovary of a flowering plant (here)
    - any edible part of a plant which may not be from a flowering ovary (here)

I feel OP may be going with the latter.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    People frequently use the word "allergy" when they mean "doesn't agree with me." It's worked it's way into the language like that. They don't use the word "intolerance."

If you want to know if it's a real allergy without being offensive, ask, "What happens when you eat it?" and then you'll know without having to address the fact that it isn't really an allergy. You get your info and they never have to know that they don't really have an allergy. :)
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't think it's possible to be allergic to all fruit. (And I'd hope it's not possible to dislike all of it, but I am endlessly amazed by how narrow some people's taste preferences are.)
    Sadly I am allergic to Kiwi...it's strange but as soon as I eat it my lips swell and I start to itch all over with hives. This didn't happen until I got well into my 40's. After much allergy testing it was shown that crawfish and kiwi have to be taken out of my diet. So yes, it is possible to be allergic to fruit...or at least types of fruit.

• atypicalsmith
    Options

Where did I say that root vegetables and broccoli are fruits? What's the difference between root vegetables and tubers? I'm sure there some miniscule difference, but they are both clearly vegetables.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Ecx
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    A general rule of thumb is if it has seeds or a pit inside of it, it's a fruit.

Except for strawberries. (I think.)

Slightly off topic but, I've heard a strawberry isn't really a berry. But a banana is. Banana trees aren't trees either; they're the world's largest something or other. And pineapples are also berries - lots of individual berries, fused together. Weird.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around a pickle being a fruit; I just can't see it :)
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    I don't think it's possible to be allergic to all fruit. (And I'd hope it's not possible to dislike all of it, but I am endlessly amazed by how narrow some people's taste preferences are.)
    Sadly I am allergic to Kiwi...it's strange but as soon as I eat it my lips swell and I start to itch all over with hives. This didn't happen until I got well into my 40's. After much allergy testing it was shown that crawfish and kiwi have to be taken out of my diet. So yes, it is possible to be allergic to fruit...or at least types of fruit.

Oh no! Not crawfish!!!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

The other interesting thing with childhood food allergies is baked egg and baked milk. (I'm going from memory on the numbers here): they've found about 80% of kids with a (legit, diagnosed) egg or dairy allergy can tolerate it when it is baked (like in a cake or biscuit), and that if, after ascertaining the kid can tolerate it they then eat the baked allergen regularly for an extended period (6 months/a year) they are then likely to tolerate it in other forms, usually first cooked and then eventually raw. Most kids then don't have the allergy anymore after a couple years.
    My 2 year old is allergic (legit, diagnosed, measured a 7 and 8 on the skin prick) to dairy and egg, and did her challenges at 18 months old and has been eating cake every day (lucky thing) for almost a year. Here's hoping it works.

Wish they could do the same for my allergies. I don't have an epipen for *kitten* and giggles.
    And yes, both my daughter and I have been given our allergens at restaurants when specifically stating not to. My daughter just threw up everywhere and had hives all over her face - I've ended up worse off. People need to take allergies more seriously, which means people need to stop self diagnosing and then claiming allergy everywhere. And then there's the food babe... Grrr
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Ecx
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    A general rule of thumb is if it has seeds or a pit inside of it, it's a fruit.

Except for strawberries. (I think.)

Slightly off topic but, I've heard a strawberry isn't really a berry. But a banana is. Banana trees aren't trees either; they're the world's largest something or other. And pineapples are also berries - lots of individual berries, fused together. Weird.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around a pickle being a fruit; I just can't see it :)

I can't either, LOL!!!
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Some of us who have a severe intolerance to foods (i.e. get ill enough that it impairs function - not just gives indigestion) but won't technically suffer anaphylaxis still claim an allergy to that food because a lot of times people assume that "intolerant" means "just don't like" and will think "oh suck it up" and feed it to you anyway. I've been sick for weeks before because someone figured it couldn't possibly be "that bad" or I must be "just picky" - but if you say "allergy" then they're much more careful about what they feed you (in my experience anyway).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Oh, I don't question whether people can be allergic to specific fruits or even categories of fruits (like citrus). No reason people couldn't be allergic to any kind of food that I can think of. What I said is that I don't think it's possible to be allergic to ALL fruit. No sufficient commonality that I can think of (unless it is something like fructose intolerance, but even that wouldn't implicate all the things that were referenced as fruit in the OP--and of course that depends on the definition of fruit being used, as others have said).