Does anyone use BCAAs?

Options
nissa5575
nissa5575 Posts: 21 Member
I was at GNC buying probiotics and in conversation with the guy, told him I workout and my main goal is to lose weight. We talked about weight training and he told me I should try Cellucor's Alpha Amino. I am a fan of their products, so I asked what it did and he said it helped with endurance.

As I am researching it though, it seems like it mostly is for those who bodybuild...not for someone who does mostly cardio and a few reps on machines. Am I right?

Replies

• TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think weight training is important especially as you age.

That said, I weight train and I read about BCAAs... I bought Xtend Watermelon blast [it's an acquired taste] and sip it while working out every day. I've only been doing this for a couple weeks [per the program I'm doing -- Natalie Jill 12 week shred]. Got mine on Amazon. I'm not a GNC fan.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I sip on it as an intraworkout. I don't think it's a critical part of a nutrition or supplementation program, but I buy in bulk so it's only $0.20 or so a serving.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BCAA's are generally taken to help with recovery and aide muscle protein synthesis (Leucine is the big gun for switching on MTOR inducing MPS) You can drink them when you want and that includes during work outs. If you're training in a fasted state (please don't lift fasted) then they can provide the body with fuel, IF followers are all about getting their BCAA's in for their fasted cardio lol If you're looking for a supplement to help with endurance beta alanine would be a far better option. Use BCAA'S for recovery and make sure you buy one with a 2:1 or higher ratio of Leucine.

As to your question do you need it... no as long as you have a solid diet you don't NEED any supplements.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I use it on lifting days and it seems to help prevent some soreness... Aka aids in muscle recovery. Cardio can break down muscle too so if you are experiencing any soreness it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.... My husband swears by it but he also works out 3x a day
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use it on days I train fasted or when I don't have food for 5hr+ prior to training.

I don't think it's an extremely important supplement to have unless you have extra cash laying around.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have been taking BCAA's for about 5 months now. For the first year of my weight loss I gained very little if any muscle without the BCAA's, however after starting on the BCAA's and changing my defecit from 1000 to 500 calories a day (sometimes less calories per day), I am finally noticing muscle gains. Particularly in my arms, chest and shoulders even though I am in a defecit.......so I am quite happy with them and will continue.
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    BCAA's are generally taken to help with recovery and aide muscle protein synthesis (Leucine is the big gun for switching on MTOR inducing MPS) You can drink them when you want and that includes during work outs. If you're training in a fasted state (please don't lift fasted) then they can provide the body with fuel, IF followers are all about getting their BCAA's in for their fasted cardio lol If you're looking for a supplement to help with endurance beta alanine would be a far better option. Use BCAA'S for recovery and make sure you buy one with a 2:1 or higher ratio of Leucine.

As to your question do you need it... no as long as you have a solid diet you don't NEED any supplements.

This :)

I've been talking to a few trainers and competitors and it seems split down the middle. I'm still deciding if I should take them since I eat pretty well. The trainers suggested eating more foods with leucine so you wouldn't need to supplement them.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    They're not essential if you're getting enough protein in your diet, but they will do more help than harm. I just don't think you NEED them if your diet is proper. I personally use them cause they taste good when cutting haha. I think it also has a mental/ placebo effect, but hey if it tricks your mind....it works! Haha but but in bulk cause they get expensive, or just buy a whey protein for the same price that already has branched chains in it as well.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    MiltonAFC wrote: »
    I use it on days I train fasted or when I don't have food for 5hr+ prior to training.

i do this ^^^^^^
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    They are ideal for muscle recovery no matter what exercise you do. For cardio I'd make sure there isn't caffeine or creative in it.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    After reading this and Dr. Layne Norton's latest thoughts on the matter (this is what he did his doctoral thesis on I believe), I have decided the cost benefit ratio was not conducive to me continuing their use since my general protein intake is high enough and spread throughout the day. Of course, you decide for yourself their efficacy.

http://josephagu.com/?s=Bcaa&submit=Search
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is sort of an old thread, but I've been curious about BCAAs as well recently. From what I've read in numerous articles it also helps to minimize muscle loss. I'm working on gaining muscle atm and sometimes I will take 2-3 days in a row off (not always intentionally) and even though I hit my protein goals and eat to maintenance or beyond on those days I still feel like I can see and feel my gains being lost. Would taking BCAAs help minimize this or is it all in my head?
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    This is sort of an old thread, but I've been curious about BCAAs as well recently. From what I've read in numerous articles it also helps to minimize muscle loss. I'm working on gaining muscle atm and sometimes I will take 2-3 days in a row off (not always intentionally) and even though I hit my protein goals and eat to maintenance or beyond on those days I still feel like I can see and feel my gains being lost. Would taking BCAAs help minimize this or is it all in my head?

All in your head. Assuming you are eating around .8g of protein per lbs of lean body weight and meeting those goals, then no, it's not doing you any more good. Just adding more calories. Now if you are an elite bodybuilder and competing against other elite competitors, and this is your livelihood, and you've been using it for 10+ years...it could mean the .1% difference between you getting first place compared to second place :D

The studies that show its benefits are typically with people whose protein intake were deficient in the first place.
  • JennieBennie7
    JennieBennie7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use BCN AminoX blue raz flavor in about 20 ounces of water & ice. It's very tasty and if it can help to insure against muscle loss while I train in a fasted state with the goal of fat burning/toning/muscle gain I'm thrilled to have found a brand and flavor I enjoy.
  • Caroledeegee
    Caroledeegee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My PT put me on to Amino Magic http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scitec-25053-Nutrition-Amino-Magic/dp/B005IP515Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441702806&sr=8-1&keywords=amino+magic

I swear it has made the difference in me being able to get through two 90 minute Flamenco Dance classes back to back and also working hard in the gym. Don't judge my weight loss on this (I still am not eating right) but I do believe in BCAA's as a benefit to training.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I use Amino X Fruit Punch and I drink it mostly once per day. I've read a good amount of the articles and I realize with my level of protein intake I more then likely am not seeing any benefit from the Amino X. But it's delicious and even if it's just snake oil it's really good snake oil. As long as I can afford them I'll drink them. It's like Kool Aid with benefits. B)
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You can use it between your meals to help gain mass, yes. Mostly because they don't have to be broken down by the liver first to be utilized. If you want to prolong your workout and optimize your recovery it might be a good idea to get something like a BCAA supplement because some of the ones on the market (Not Alpha) offer electrolyte recovery as you workout. Xtend or Modern would be better choices if you're looking for electrolyte balancing as well (unless you add the BCAA powder to something like Gatorade, then I would look for something unflavored).

It's a great way to get recovery in with no calories. I use Xtend and add Beta Alanine powder to it. I personally cannot do without it.